1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Nachtflugs US Tour 2003.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nachtflug, Aug 4, 2003.

1. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    friday morning and another early hotel checkout and I was off and running. I stopped for my MacDonalds sausage/egg/cheese biscuit fix and even lucked out with a Dunkin Donuts across the street so I was able to get a doulble play. I hadn't gotten any pics of the Sturgis throngs yet so I was also able to bag one of those, so all things considered a triple play.

[​IMG]
  2. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    now keep in mind, were talking Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and PA, all on I80. This aint exactly the Lake Tahoe Rim Trail OK? I'm going to have to spruce it up a little or we might as well end it right here.

OK, I knew the chapter was eagerly awaiting the president at the NY border and I wanted to look good for them, as they had all paid for this trip via the chapter coffers, so I stopped and had the bike spruced up to look her best.

[​IMG]
  3. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    like I said..

so anyway, the weatherman was right and I was only on the road for an hour or so when it became necessary to pull over and raindogsuit up. one thig about the harley gang, the ones who ride in the rain as opposed to the group across the way waiting it out, ride in the rain. no gloves, no helmets, short sleeves, why don't they just ride naked and save on showers?

[​IMG]
  4. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    moving right along. speaking of the Harley crowd, now I saw an awful lot of bikes being ridden towards Sturgis. Good for them. I also saw a lot on trailers and trucks, motor homes, etc etc, and I thought of a good friend of mine who trailers his Road King cos his wife just ain't going to ride 3-400 miles a day let alone 6-700 miles, and like, they are friends of mine from way back and like what am I gonna do, not be their friends cos they use a trailer? who cares. to each his own. but some of these guys get a little carried away with going to these big harley rallies in style, you have to draw a line somewhere. this guy didn't even have his bike in there, he said it was being restored, it was a 99 FLH, but he was going anyway.

[​IMG]
  5. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    before long Illinois was behind me, Razorbak included, and it was Indiana and Ohio in short succession. The highlight of those two states was just beating a bus load of people to the counter at Hardees cos that would have sucked to wait behind forty people for a goddam hamburger. even a Hardees hamburger, which is made of beef not ham so fuck you Col. Sanders. As there is absolutely nothing worth photgraphing in either Ohio or Indiana heres one from a state where your cousin wasn't your prom date which can sub for Ohio and Indianas lack of imagination.

.[​IMG]
  6. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:

:bluduh I hate it when your jokes ain't really a joke.

Bastard.
  7. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    the sun came out in Ohio, and I was still planning on continuing on to the Yankee Beemers rally Saturday in Heath MA. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, were just no match for me and the GS on this day, Friday August 1, 2003. I was on a roll and feeling good about not ending the vacation till l the last possible second.

Feeling and looking fresh as a daisy I won out, Ohio threw in the towel and surrendered, leaving only Pennsylvania in my way.

[​IMG]
  8. dizave

dizave Team Blitzed

Oddometer:
    Ahh, Pennsylvania. It was my gold standard for suck until I found out about Nebraska.

I was hoping North Dakota might hold the answer but MLeir tells me it's the worst way to get across the high plains. Sigh.
  9. MrsKbasa

MrsKbasa Welcome to PleasureWorld

Oddometer:
    Kansas is worse than Nebraska. Pennsylvania sucks because it always rains or snows in Scranton.
  10. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Yes, Flug, you look particularly "fresh" there. :uhoh
  11. doc riverz

doc riverz anatra di seduta

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Jeebus! Fluggie, that's a "Fluggie" to the tenth power. :flug
  12. rcompton

rcompton I am not Iron Man

Oddometer:

:poser :poser :poser
  13. Terje

Terje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi!

To day ay work I decided tok print Nachtflugs journey. More enjoyable to read on paper, IMO.
    So I sent the epos to the printer.
    Humh, whats this?
    Pip,pip!
    Printer out of paper?
    Ok, throw in 500 sheets
    Pip, pip!
    Toner empty.
    Get the secretary to change toner.

Then.

Whats all the paper piling up on the printer??

370 pages!!

Well, at least I have some reading to do this weekend. Come Sobig.F. Who the FFYFF care?

Attached Files:

14. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl That's too funny!!

But ohmygosh, the horror of having Europeans think Americans are like

[​IMG]

The world view of Americans is bad enough as is.
  15. White Knuckles

White Knuckles Insufficient memory

Oddometer:
    But isn't Nachtflug a GERMAN name? :):
  16. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Don't tell me, you start reading your books from back to front, right?
  17. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Somebody go wake Fluggy up!

Gerg
  18. White Knuckles

White Knuckles Insufficient memory

Oddometer:
    :confused :confused WTF?
  19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    It is as American as Apfelkuchen, everybody that!:evil :):
  20. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    The last time I saw Ed, (Fuck you Ed) he rode off into the still sunny September day last year after we had ridden the Lost Wheels Poker Run. I’ll never see him again. They had given out these little 3x3 inch squares of plywood for your kickstand at the poker run since the parking was on gravel. As Ed rode off his sat there on the ground, and I picked it up and thought I’d keep it until I could come up with a better way of disposing of it then just leaving it there. It sat in my house all winter, and I thought I’d take it on this trip once I realized I was going on this trip, and ceremoniously toss it into the Pacific or leave it at the foot of a Redwood or something befitting such a jackass of a man. When we stopped for our photo shoot with Baldy and Marc and Dizave and Rabia, and then joined by Javarilla and JJ, at Ebbets pass, the ground was all soft and powdery dry dirt. I had my tankbag on and had also been hauling a bigger 5x5 piece of plywood for kickstand support. Hauling a big load on the GS tends to make side stand use touchy as the bike becomes very top heavy and leans way over, hence the need of a little side stand help. So anyway when we had parked I had used the smaller piece, Eds piece of plywood for my kickstand as it was the first thing my hand found in the tank bag.. As we suited up to leave and I mounted the bike, I realized I needed to lean way over to stretch down to get the piece of plywood, Eds piece of plywood. As I leaned over to get it the thought that I had not yet ceremoniously done anything with it flashed thru my mind. No sooner had that thought came, I suddenly heard a voice. It wasn’t really Ed’s voice, but more of a thought, a thought I could hear but not really hear, but was most definitely there. It said “leave me here, leave me here”.

So I did.

Eds piece of plywood is now in the dirt up on Ebbetts pass in the Sierra Nevada Mts, and I have no doubt in my mind that the souls who first made that pass and no doubt left whatever we will all eventually leave of our heart and soul in appropriate places, now have a little new company in their Sierra pass. And when the Milky Way paints the sky at night like nothing I’ve ever seen before, there is now a new set of boots kicked up on a log checking it out, as he also does back here in the Catskills. Fuck you Ed, sorry I couldn’t come up with a more fitting tribute to your piece of plywood, but you’re the one who said leave me here, so I did.

I wasn’t going to put this in, but I figured why not, it was part of the trip so in it goes.