Nachtflugs US Tour 2003.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nachtflug, Aug 4, 2003.

1. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    2 years ago I left on my first big western campaign for 3 weeks to Top of the Rockies and the MOA in Redmond OR. Leaving a 16 year old behind, "home alone" as I had no options. The bastard had a keg party my second night out. My parents caught wind of it 3 days out, and were very concerned and I had to cut it short. Top of the Rockies and then home.

This year leaving an 18 year old at home, who now has a girlfriend who he is basically joined at the hip to, and she actually comes from a not divorced real family situation and hes there all the time kind of thing, it was nice to come home and the place was the exact disaster I left it in, and the lawn wasn't covered with cigarette butts and beer tops.
  2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Man, let's hope they're only joined sideways:):

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for your ride report, this must have been the 'Mother of all ride Reports' at least for advrider. Most creative and enjoyable, never wasted more time with less regret. Thanks Nachtflug:1drink

:clap :clap :clap :clap :thumb :wave :bow :bow :bow
  3. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    things that made the trip better.

Camelbak Backpack waterpouch system. 5 stars. Going into hot weather? Don't leave home without one. Best $25 I ever spent.

Bobs Wrist Rest. (bascially a throttlemeister) very nice product, you can use it even when you want to leave both hands on the bars and keep the right hand relaxed.

First Gear Mesh Jacket. There had to be 6 of these in the Sierras easy. What a great Jacket for $130.

Ricardos Bars and Risers. Any concerns about how they would be on a long interstate ride were ill founded. They feel high when you first get on a bike if you've never felt them, thats cos they are. They were fine on the slab and are everything you hear they are.

A $10 cotton turtleneck was very handy on my desert day of Utah and Nevada to keep the sun offf my entire neck. Worth packing one. Hot or cold.

Tribeless lent me a 256Meg Compact Flash Card. Thanks Tribeless, bring us back some Weiner Schnitzel from Germany YFF.
    RockyRaccoon likes this.
  4. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    thanks Kokopelli,

I'd disappoint JohnJen if I didn't ask..

Do you have any sisters lookign to settle down?
  5. Bill the Duck

Bill the Duck Unwitting Accomplice Supporter

Oddometer:
    :slurp :slurp :slurp :slurp :slurp :slurp
  6. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    This trip was about one thing and one thing only, everything else was a side trip. This trip was about all the great advriders I got to meet. For an entire weekend we all had more fun bullshitting with eachother then we would have thought possible. The riding was the icing on the cake, I wasn't even on this ride but love the pic cos I met them all that night. I tried a few cheap JoMomma digs on Jean Luc about "who let a French guy in here" at the campfire and the bastard responded by offering me a glass of 15 year old McClellan single malt scotch. Jerk. TravelToad offered to put me up if I wandered down by LA, and Ricardo is...Ricardo. You haven't met a free spirit till you've met him. I haven't the slightest idea who wearing the helemt, but its just as well, could be anyone who was there. Doesn't matter, everyone was the best plain and simple. FYYFF you whos ever wearing the helmet.

[​IMG]
    Jean-Luc and RockyRaccoon like this.
  7. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    theres a lot of these pics on everyones smug mug account. and before I go any further, let me say thanks to all the smugmug users I poached pics from, if I thought you would have minded, I'd have poached them anyway, but I knew you wouldn't so thanks to everyone for taking so many great pics. this is kind of where it all happend, the end of the road, if you aren't in this pic, you either just were, or will be in it soon The Aspens and Pines and Advriders set the stage for one great memory, and 3 cheers to Kurt and Evie for hooking us up with Hope Valley. When I first met Kurt he was in his pick up having just dropped off firewood and beer, and I dont think he even drank any. Evie more than made up for him but thats another story. Kurt hooked us up big time.

[​IMG]
    RockyRaccoon likes this.
  8. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I want to say thanks to Knary for not sending me any threatening PM's or Emails. He either hasn't read the report or has a good sense of humor, or is very patient...

It was all in fun and Knary was a cool dude, just like everyone.
  9. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I'd be remiss if I just dwelled on Hope Valley though.

There were a few other things worth mention in a presidential summary.

Case in point. Yosemite. Sweeeeeeeeeet.

You bastards in Norcal have that less than 3 hours away and aren't running naked through there like Adam and Eve?

[​IMG]
  10. rabia

rabia Pixel pusher and vector vixen

Oddometer:
    Rad rad rad rad rad rad rad rad rad, I think. On his KTM 640 Adventure.

Whenever I saw Rad's name I thought, 'Huh, that dude named himself WHEEL for his screen name. That's kinda cool.' Then I found out it was his real name (conRAD...no wheels involved) and I felt really dumb.
  11. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Norcal, I want to say thanks to my friends in the Bay area who made me feel right at home and treated me like someone I'd known all my life. John MacDonald, Nomiles, Turkish, you guys made it real easy to recharge after 3200 miles, 3 hotels, countless fast food, gas stops, hookers- no wait scratch that.

After leaving NY at 46 years old and arriving in the Bay never having been there, it was just too cool, thanks to you guys. As President Bush told that guy from Kuwait after Gulf War, "I give you your country back"

[​IMG]
    Jean-Luc likes this.
  12. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    Snow in July? Not in NY baby. The Scenic Bypass in Wyoming was way cool cos as many of the more experienced guys know, (hell I'm as green as they come), and to quote a famous American, "the adventure begins when the planning stops"

this was my little adventure, Snowy Range Bypass. Ever on I80 in Wyoming check it out. You can thank me later.

[​IMG]
  13. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    now I'm gonna shoot mysefl if I leave anyone out, but hats off to the gals who made the highlight of my vacation (Hope Valley) a little nicer by being there.

Patti and Evie, Robin and KBasawife, GSL's wife, Maryanna, Rabia, Leslie, the girl from Reno who gave me her phone number thats always busy. Did I leave anyone out? Shit I know I did...

A group pic would have been nice of all the great ladies who were there. Next time.

Thanks ladies, and as I know your all still ladies at heart, I'm not going to single any one out in the pic selection.

[​IMG]
  14. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    yep. it all comes back to the people. advriders rock. while all of us couldn't be there, I had lots of moral support behind me from some of my favorite advriders. the emails, PM's encouraging me to give I80 hell were an inspiration, just knowing guys who wouldn't be there were pulling for me. Heres to all the guys who were in my corner back east as this young man went west. Cheers!

[​IMG]
  15. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    can't leave this one out. memories. two old fly fishermen took this pic. It was great having my two back east homies there all the way out in California with me. It was even better geeting to spend the day with them with this crew. East meets West? Rabia and Dave are a lot of fun knowing and being able to call friends of mine.

Having said that don't ever let Rabia on the back of your bike.

Slow down, speed up, why are you in 3rd gear? etc etc. Pain in the ass I wanna tell you.

[​IMG]
    Jean-Luc and RockyRaccoon like this.
  16. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Damn Fluggy, ya made it :clap :clap
    Great report and an even better reminder of a great time:thumb

'till next year :freaky

Greg
  17. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    thanks greg, you guys were all the better than I expected, and I expected a lot.

Its getting close now, it has to end or it'll get boring and overdone, but theres always time for a song.

I may have Vienna Calling on my tank, but for ultra suave' its Junge Roemer all the way.

Junge Römer

junge

Der Lorbeerkranz, ein neuer Tanz
    schwingt Rhythmus in die Hüften der Stadt
    Man sieht und kennt und sagt sich
    was diese Nacht zu sagen hat

Fragt nicht nach neuen alten Werten
    Seht weißes Licht, seht nur Gefühl
    Die Nacht gehört uns bis zum Morgen
    Wir spielen jedes Spiel

Laß diese Reise niemals enden
    Das Tun kommt aus dem Sein allein
    Allein aus Dimensionen, die
    Illusionen und Sensationen lohnen

Give me more
    Give me more
    Give me more
    Give me more
    Give me more
    Give me more

Junge Römer - tanzen anders als die andern - ohohoh
    Sie lieben ihre Schwestern lieber - lieber als den Rest der Welt - ohohoh
    Frag' junge Römer - kennt ihr die Sonne noch - sie kennt die Sorgen - ohohoh
    Junge Römer - die Nacht ist jung wie ihr - vergeßt das Morgen - ohohoh

Un ballo nuovo porta ritmo nei fiancho della cittá - ohohoh
    Ci vendiamo, trovimo, chiediamo che cosa si fa - ohohoh
    Ma non cercate die volori, e magari sensation
    La notte e'nostra fin al mattino abbiamo illusion
    no E'la fine del viaggino, ce' sempre un domani e
    Ci sono dimensioni, con illusioni e sensazioni

Give me more
    Give me more
    Give me more
    Give me more
    Give me more
    Give me more

Young romans

ohohoh

junge

ohohoh

Junge Römer
    Kennt ihr die Sonne noch
    Die Nacht ist jung wie ihr und doch
    Im Land wo jeder Traum gelandet ist - man vergißt
    Young romans
    There is a night before each day
    And that price is still to pay
    Never stop this old erosion phantastic voyage

Give me more
    Give me more
    Give me more
    Give me more
    Give me more
    Give me more
  18. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Yeah, baby, I was pulling for you. All of us were. And it's a tribute to you and your unique and engaging personality.
    This has been one of the most enjoyable - and I think probably most-viewed - threads in the history of this web site. So many of us were sort of living vicariously through you; wishing you well, pulling for your trip to be safe and fun. It was obviously both ...
    And, therefore, it was fun for us all. :jive :thumb :nod
    However, I still think you should be recalled as President of the ADVrider NE Chapter. While you were gone, you must have missed a lot of votes. :lol3
  19. dizave

dizave Team Blitzed

Oddometer:
    Taking our cue from Texas democrats, Rabia and I left too so that there was no quorum. :rofl
  20. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    :rofl :lol3 :poser
    Good point, Dizzy. Smart politics. :thumb