1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Nairobi send-off for Lyndon Poskitt

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Osadabwa, May 1, 2019.

1. Osadabwa

Osadabwa Don't be Surprised

Oddometer:
    Lyndon Poskitt, aka @Pyndon, 3-time Dakar Malle Moto competitor, Races2Places world traveler and all around swell guy has been crashing in my friend Wry’s guest cottage on and off for a while in Nairobi. He busted his hand in Tanzania, after a blowout in volcanic babyheads a couple of months back, so he took a bit of time off the bike and just got back to Kenya last week to complete his ride home. I volunteered myself to help him sort out a sweet route to the Ethiopian border (following parts of the Borderlands Braaap Ride I just completed, plus an unexplored bit or two), then further invited myself to ride out with him from Nairobi. So, this morning, a few of us met at Wry’s and I led the group down into the Rift Valley to Naivasha for lunch.

[​IMG]
    Above: The famous Basil Bike, all loaded and ready to roll. Lyndon rides that thing like it’s a child’s toy.

[​IMG]
    Above: I reckon it’s a good omen that Lyndon saw the Ngong giraffes as we entered the valley.

[​IMG]
    Above: Lyndon and I wait for the others after a long section of fesh-fesh and ruts. All that bouncing and jouncing must have felt fantastic on the recently broken wrist! Sorry Lyndon! Hii ni Kenya!

[​IMG]
    Above: It was eye-opening, hilarious and humbling to hear some of Lyndon’s racing stories. It would have been amazing to see him rip through this terrain, but in full travel-mode and with the bum wrist, it was a chill endeavor… plus, I was leading so he was stuck with middle-aged amateur speeds anyway!

[​IMG]
    Above: Basil Bike and my XR650R. Lyndon’s setup is about as trick as it gets, but I love my old Piggy.

[​IMG]
    Above: We were late for lunch in Naivasha, so we didn’t stop much or take many riding pics.

[​IMG]
    Above: Left: Me and LP joining the tar for a couple of kms to Suswa. Right: Rockin’Rolland on his pimped-out travel-ready Husky 701. Big tanks, totally re-vamped suspension, and a tidy little navigation tower made that 701 pretty sweet. Roland is in the middle of a Netherlands-Cape Town solo journey and was very keen to come along for the day. Before he leaves, I promised I’d send him some equally fun, dusty tracks to get him down to TZ.

[​IMG]
    Above: LP coming up the lower Mau Escarpment

[​IMG]
    Above: The cool air is always a refreshing change from the Valley

[​IMG]
    Above: Wry at my apparently poorly-chosen Lake-Naivasha-Lookout-Spot… off the road and through a ditch, it led Roland to drop the 701. That was when I knew Lyndon was a normal guy… we see Roland fall and LP says: "Quick get the camera!"

[​IMG]
    Above: Wry, LP, Me and Roland

[​IMG]
    Above: The world travelers with matching dusty smiles.

[​IMG]
    Above: The lineup: Husky 701, Three Little Kenyan Piggies and Basil Bike

[​IMG]
    Above: A wonderful lunch at the Ranch House Bistro on South Lake Road. No idea why I’m wearing una cara de mala ostia.

[​IMG]
    Above: Better group shots were taken, but this one is mine. Lyndon, Roland, Panic, Wry and me.

[​IMG]
    Above: Rare pics of us taken with a good camera... thanks Roland!

It was a great day out, boys! Lyndon and Roland, enjoy the rest of what Kenya has to offer. I promise I've picked you some good tracks. And have a safe journey onward and homeward!

[​IMG]
  2. Oldstuff

Oldstuff Old Rally Man

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys gave the lad a good sendoff. There were plenty of smiley faces which is always a good sign.
    BLucare and Osadabwa like this.
  3. Amala2017

Amala2017 n00b

Oddometer:
    Congrats to all and lets all be sending you positive vibes!
    Osadabwa likes this.
  4. Osadabwa

Oddometer:
    Well, they're out of Kenya, moving in opposite directions...

I was tracking Lyndon's progress through his Races2Places real-time tracker somewhat anxiously since I'd given him the tracks. He made bloody good time up there, crossing all of the north in 2 days and rough-camping both nights. I got a message on the second day saying there was no fuel anywhere in Loiyangalani which was bad news cause it's the biggest town in the area, but he found 9L in North Horr and scooted out with no problems.

Roland, too, took a set of tracks to get him to Tanzania and had a great time, though I forgot to mention that in one place, the riverbed I sent him down has a substantial rock obstacle that could pose a challenge. No matter, he nailed it. Got out past Amboseli to Oloitokitok and is on his way through the Usambara mountains to Dar this week.

Ride well, Boys!
    TroopThrowback, kiwial and Suncoaster like this.
  5. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's cool as $hit @Osadabwa! I've been watching the Races to Places vids on YT for quite some time now, always try to catch an episode while my wife gets our boys to bed. Think I'm on season 8 now, he's somewhere in northern Canada and on his way to South America.

Anyway, I think it's effing awesome you were able to ride with him. Good on you for organizing the ride and lunch, and I had a big laugh about him telling someone to get the camera out when the 701 had an oops.

Great pics man, what a cool thing to have in your riding memories :thumb:thumb
    Suncoaster likes this.
  6. Osadabwa

Oddometer:
    Well, a year and a half later, Races 2 Places catches up with this RR. If you don't blink, you'll just catch us at the very end of the video leaving Wry's house. The editing was pretty much embassy and hospital focused, with all the riding confined to Kenya's worst road (nobody loves Mombasa road and it's best avoided). I honestly think LP was ready to get out of Dodge and be on his lonesome again. That bum wrist took him well over a month off schedule. Just a shame he didn't have more time to see Mt. Suswa at least, or head over to the Mara, explore the north better... there are a million destinations in Kenya to rival the most amazing in the world, but he was laser focused on gettin North.

Above: SE13 EP6 Races to Places

I gather the next update will have more riding in it.