"Naked-Scrambler-Builds"?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by cadaVre, May 7, 2014.

1. cadaVre

cadaVre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

after being one of the reading-only inmates for a while now I have something in mind that I thought would be best placed here:

I own a 2010 650 Twin (the biaritz-blue one) and I love it so far. It's my first bike by the way and... well I'm feeling more and more drawn to older bikes oder older bike-designs. How ever I don't think I'll ever get rid of it, I'll just own more bikes but that's another story. :D

I really love the engine and the way the 650 rides and the mileage is great for the 16L it holds. The only thing that never really grew on me was the front's design. The fuel being in the back, the fake-tank in front ... I love that but I think from there on the bike is to narrow. I "fixed" that a bit for me by installing one of these blank "nose-guards" the 800GS comes with but sometimes I just dream about something completly different.

Now, you could tell me to get an old 100 or 80GS or something modern retro like the Wunderlich 120GS Mod but thats exactly what got me thinking - why is there no retro-mod for the 650 oder 700 oder 800GS? I'd think these bikes would make a great base for a kind of scrambler-build. I was thinking like: Classic round headlight with a simple metal-cover, simple instruments (motogadget, I'm looking at you, CANbus might be a problem here though), getting rid of the shield in front completly... maybe install an 800GS fork just for the looks, something like Heidenau K60 Scouts tires. I think what would be hardest to get right here is the looks of the left and right plastics since one would have to alter them a bit after getting rid of the front. If you don't go all the way oldsql but a bit modern I think one could leave the rest of the bike unchanged and have kind of an F798GS Adventure-Scrambler maybe? :D

The theoretical goal here ist, that I tend to like bikes that look clean and simple. I'm not shure if I ever have the balls to chase my BMW with a grinder but I like to discuss this at least. :deal

Now to the question at hand. I've searched up and down on the internet but didn't find anything yet und if I found anyone who build anything out of the Twin-GSs it's from america. Which ain't bad but my bike will always have to pass the german nazi-TÜV regulations which yours don't (you're allowed to feel lucky at this point).

Do you know of any good builds based on a 700, 650, 800 which go in my direction?
    Do you maybe know good parts that might fit my dream?
    Do you have any thoughts on this at all?
    Or do you think I am to positive on this and it's gonna look like like shit anyway? :D

Disclaimer: If you stumble of my grammar once in a while, just try to ignore it. Greetings from germany! :freaky

cadaVre
  2. cadaVre

cadaVre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...reading my own post now one more time, I think I need to do a photoshop mockup... :D
  3. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Based on the handling, it would make a great Cafe Scrambler.

Putting my feet on the back pegs makes the bike handle like a sportbike.
  4. Wasty

Wasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    they already did an f800r scrambler, looked really good!
    I think the main issue is the tank in the rear as this prevents the "clean" scrambler look.
  5. cadaVre

cadaVre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw that one from Touratech, thats actually where I got the idea from because I thought it should be possible to do this with the Twin-GSs as well. I'm doing some Photoshop work at the moment gathering ideas, I'll post them when I have some.
  6. Arclite

Arclite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised no one has posted tis gem yet! Built by legendary flat track builder Ron Wood:

[​IMG]
  7. cadaVre

cadaVre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that... a F650GS? :what: Wow...
  8. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2010 F650GS which I love...but I also love the looks and fun of a "naked-Scramber" too!!

So last winter I bought an abused, running on one cylinder Triumph 900 Scrambler, fixed it and striped down, D&D exhausts, karoo 3s, LED head light, tank/fender paint etc etc
    Great fun roaring around and on dirt roads.

yah i know did not do it to the F650twin....but I like it like it is for long trips.
  9. cadaVre

cadaVre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats what everybody tells me so far - the BMW Twins dont seem to be a prefered plattform for custom-builds. :D
  10. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It probably has to do with the price. An F800R can easily be obtained used for around 5k dollars. IF you are going to strip away most of what makes the bike a GS, you might as well start with a cheaper base and save some money. Best of luck, I wouldn't do it personally, but at the same time I'll e interested to see the build of someone else who has done it.
  11. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am actually in the middle of a building up a salvaged 2013 F800GS. I would not say I am going "scrambler" on it but it is HEAVILY modified from stock and definatley has the "less is more" look or rather naked.

If there is interest, I can certainly put up some pictures now of the build? However, it is in process and it is not complete.
  12. cadaVre

cadaVre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please blog about it here, I will do it as well when I have something to show. I'd like to see some ideas. :)

sarathmenon: If I'd not have a 2010 F650GS already I probably would not even consider it but since I already have it... if it is to much work or to expensive maybe I'll sell mine and get a good new base for one but I like a challenge and the fact that no one has done it so far.

If I'm going to do this, I'll try to get broken parts from Ebay (sidepanels) and a used 800GS fork from a broken bike. I will store all the unused parts from the F650 somewhere because if I fail I want to be able to bring my 650 back to life. :D

Only thing I have no idea for so far is the back. You are limited in what you are able to do with it due to the fuel tank. I like slim bikes but on the other hand I kinda NEED fuel... :D

So yes, I'm interested in basically any custom builds based on F650 700 and 800GSs, show 'em to me! ;)