NAME THAT ROAD, (canada)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 1200GSCanuck, Aug 25, 2011.

1. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    The color of that river sure does make it look like the Kootenays and not the Chilcotin.
  2. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Did you google my picture?

Standing where the Mackenzie enters the ocean. The pic doesn't do it justice. The sun was blood red with snow dogs on each side. A numinous experience.
  3. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    How'd you get there?

:ear

4. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    No Google. Just a good guess from the clues provided.

I'd like to get to the Arctic Ocean sometime and have read enough to know that Inuvik isn't it. Tuk is on the salt chuck and to get there it's fly from Inuvik or the winter ice road. If it happens for me it'll be ride to Inuvik and the flight as I want to at least dip a toe in the ocean if not going for a dunk.
  5. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
  6. thetourist

Oddometer:

The Alcan Winter Rally. About 5000mi of snow in 7-8 days.

The Alcan Winter Rally is leaving for Tuktoyaktuk in a couple weeks. Google it. I've done this event three times. It only comes around every four years. A well organized adventure by Ranier Auto Club. Non rally types can enter, also.

We left Inuvik in the dark, Creeped down a ramp onto the ice and headed north at a moderate 40mph. As we passed ferries and boats stranded on blocks on-shore we picked up the pace a bit.

Predawn light had us up to 60mph and clipping small driftlets reaching out from the shore line. Then this great red ball came onto the horizon. I stared at it so long I had tears in my eyes. That is when we stopped and took pics. Perhaps the most amazing sunrise I have ever seen.

Tuk was cold. Perhaps -20f with a bitter wind coming from the west. My buddy was gassing up the car and I decided to walk the 150 yards to the general store. About half way there I thought this may be a serious mistake. Man was it cold. Later I saw a local teenage girl run out of the store with her hood down and coat open, jump on a snow machine, and scream off down the road. I'm just a lightweight. :lol3.

Heading south a few cars were well into triple digits on the ice. One biffed way into a drift, which had grown. One car ripped two tires off in an ice crack, broke the bead or something.

Further south we had true white out conditions thru a canyon. BIG reflectors on both sides of the road at 50 ft intervals were invisible. Just sit stopped untill the wind would shift, then creep forward a few yards till visibilty disappeared again. It took a long time to clear that canyon.

Overnighted in Eagle Plains. I stood under the Aurora Borealis at Eagle Plains. UNDER neath. Absolutely amazing. Stood in the snow till 2am watching green snakes writhing in the sky.

400mi of snow in 5 hrs. Running with Baron von Richtoven up the Dempster, Yes THE Baron. Beating an Unser by 100th of a second on an ice race. At Dawson City lying on my back under the car trying to wire up a broken exhaust manifold and watching a musher break up dogfood with an axe. Winning a section on driving skill, Winning two sections on navigating skill/luck,(two perfect zero legs in a row) that is a big deal on this event. Having Mrs Dalton sign my certificate of completion the Dalton run. Iditerod. Yukon Quest. Fur Rondy. Too many stories for this place. Ask me when you see me.

As I said The Alcan Winter Rally leaves soon. Not sure if any room left. This, in my opinion, is a much better event than the Alcan 5000 summer event. It would be a bitch on a bike, though. I once did 900 mi in one day on this event. Not sure that is even possible on a cycle. I would love to run it in a vintage car.

Anyone have too much money and want to have an adventure? Call me. I can probably get us an entry.

Is this SPAM?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dempster shots.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  7. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    Yup.
  8. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Hope they cleaned the barrels that use to make up the shoreline in Tuktoyaktuk the late 80's. Otherwise you may not want to dip....just because I have a good idea of what was in the ones at the bottom of the harbor in Cambridge Bay.:evil

All them places are on a Sea....not the Artic Ocean! Gotta go to Alert for that.:wink: Picky maybe but we spent too much time surveying up there and I never touched the Artic Ocean.:wink:

One...Two, different roads but they connect....and Yes you most probably can go to sixth gear on gravel somewhere that way.....but not there!:wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up re dumped nasties. If I get there I'll just dip a toe (briefly).

So, Tuk not on Arctic, dang!
    EDIT: took a look at the atlas and yes Tuk is on the Beaufort Sea but there isn't any sort of land mass or even a penisula dividing it from the Arctic Ocean, so close enough. Alert is just TOO far. I'll do some google reasearch to try to understand the differences between ocean and sea,
  10. H96669

Oddometer:
    Sheesh that was quick.:eek1Should let the non-locals figure that out...:lol3 Alert is restricted anyway, and from watching someone heading that way at the airport last year, you need LOTS of clothes. Much more to see around Cambridge Bay than Tuk. Herd of Muskox....cheap(er) carvings in front of the "northern store":wink: good artic char, and better sceneries all around. The summer "encampment" is also interesting, takes you back in time.Tuk is just...flat & muddy.:eek1

Last time I flew out of Cambridge Bay, it was snowing....in August!:huh

Direct flight to Edmonton....Would you like Fish or Meat for dinner? said the Stewardess....!:lol3
  11. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Alert's nothing much.

[​IMG]

There's an Adv sticker in this bunch. :D

[​IMG]

The locals ain't too friendly.

[​IMG]

Weather can be a little iffy too.

[​IMG]
  12. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    OK, I hate to admit it, I had to Google 'numinous'

According to Otto, the numinous experience has two aspects: mysterium tremendum, which is the tendency to invoke fear and trembling; and mysterium fascinans, the tendency to attract, fascinate and compel. The numinous experience also has a personal quality to it, in that the person feels to be in communion with a wholly other. The numinous experience can lead in different cases to belief in deities, the supernatural, the sacred, the holy, and/or the transcendent
  13. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Is that the Nickel Plate Road?

:dunno

14. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wear the Fox Hat?
  15. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    The hill. On the way to Bella Coola?
  16. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    That was my guess, too.

:ear
  17. H96669

Oddometer:
    No but looks like you were pretty close....last year. :thumbAs the crow flies!:wink:
  18. thetourist

Oddometer:

Don't get hung up on semantics. The Beaufort Sea is part of the Arctic Ocean just as the Gulf of Alaska is part of the Pacific. It's just sections of identification like counties/townships/parishes in states/provinces.

There are probably boats that go to Tuk from Inuvik. I think it was 130 mi on the ice. The boat would be a better adventure. You can watch for wildlife and pingo mounds. That would be missed by air. Of course an enterprising bush pilot could make that a good trip. A landing or two on water might be nice.

The First Nations people I ran into were very helpful. Their attitude was different than in my part of US.
  19. Elburrito

Elburrito Donkey

Oddometer:
    Cariboo Hwy/BC-97 ?
  20. Elburrito

Elburrito Donkey

Oddometer:
    here's a easy one.
    [​IMG]