Name the Best TankBag for the GS

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JUIJITSU, Jul 13, 2001.

1. JUIJITSU

JUIJITSU FACTOTUM

Oddometer:
    If you were in the market for a new TankBag for your 1150GS, which model would it be?
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    BMW multivario. Good capacity, well-made, fits perfectly, has a carrying handle, reversable map pocket, and a rain cover. Add a bit of non-skid stuff to the bottom and it won't budge.
  3. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    I agree with Fish. Take the BMW bag and add the electrical package to it and you've got a very functional tank bag. With the electrics installed you've always got an outlet for your GPS or radar detector or electric clothing within easy reach. There's a third outlet inside the bag that I usually charge my phone with while riding.
    I had it wired from the back of the existing BMW outlet through the supplied quick disconnect wiring so I've got the standard outlet available should I need it.
    Downside is the cost.

Harry
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Harry, I saw one at the dlr the other day. I was very impressed with the quality and look. Yes, they're pricey, but I think it worth it just for the map light and one socket!

fish
  5. pbansen

pbansen Hosehead

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried the Multivario for the GS, but I have a Wolfman Explorer that's pretty good. Moderately priced at $113 at Rider Wearhouse and it has some nice features. Stays in one place nicely.

I wish it had a divider in the interior and may add one. The removable side pockets are nice - I'd like to make some larger ones sort of like the Rider Wearhouse and Tourtech tank panniers. The bag has a cool flashlight holder on the front and a mesh pocket on the inside of the lid for holding papers or other flat things.

One gripe is that the zippers into the interior don't go all the way to the front corners, which results in your map pocket getting kind of a permanent bend about an inch back from the front. I put a piece of cardboard into the map pocket in an attempt to remedy the problem, but it still happens.

Pretty good bag, especially designed for bikes with sloping tanks. If you can't quite swing the bucks for a Multivario, give it a shot.

Pete Bansen
    Truckee, California
  6. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I checked out the Wolfman Explorer before I bought the BMW bag, and really liked the way it fit and the price. But the one I saw seemed kinda flimsy, like it was made out of very lightweight material and was already broken-in. But it was new. It was also a bit wide, so the controls hit it at full lock.

Still, it's probably one of the better less expensive bags.

Marsee makes a couple of nice ones, and so does wunderlich (bmwscruz.com). In fact, this one looks kinda nice, and if I didn't already have a tankbag, I'd probably buy it:

[​IMG]
  7. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    Hi, I have the BMW bag and I think it is not so hot. When loaded it's the leaning tower of tankbags. Partially loaded it's ok. Gas stops kinda suck. Horn button hits on tight lefts.

I plan to purchase some tank panniers. They hold about as much junk, allow easy fueling and seem to balance the bike better than a loaded tank bag.
    Santa
  8. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    <Hi, I have the BMW bag and I think it is not so hot. When loaded it's the leaning tower of tankbags. Partially loaded it's ok. Gas stops kinda suck. Horn button hits on tight lefts.>

Try using the tank bags bungee cord up and over the bag. Secure the cord to itself or to the tank depending on the load. Usually I only need to compress the sections to keep it from leaning but I have at times secured it to the underside of the tank if itÂ’s really overstuffed.

Harry
  9. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    When I zip in the top half, I always attach the straps,going under the tank to the frame. Sure it is tight, but I guess I ride some hard roads causing me to have to straighten the leaner every so often.
    I ride with CrAsH and JL often and JL uses the aerostitch panniers.
    They hold a lot. Map holder is moved.
    CrAsH uses a low wide tank bag ( brand unknown). Holds a lot and is magnetic hold down. XL map pocket is a bonus. Seems ok.
    Whaddya say Ray?
    Santa
  10. Bogser John

Bogser John Goofy Sumbitch...

Oddometer:
    I''ve got the new BMW tank bag for my GS, and I'm trying to figure out how to mount the plate for the juice kit. It should go right where they have a velcro strip mounted to tighten down the "top" part of the bag when it is not full. Also, it would be covered up by the little "personals" pouch that snaps on the back....

What have other people done?:confused:
  11. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    <I'm trying to figure out how to mount the plate for the juice kit>

I mounted mine on the right side, as you sit on the bike. It's easy to plug and unplug while on the side stand and it doesn't interfere with the small snap on bag.

While you're at it you might want to hard wire and not use the standard accessory outlet for power. I kept kicking and breaking the supplied BMW plug.
  12. Colonel

Colonel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I suggest a look at the "Held" bags, carried by Helimot in San Jose I have several different bags, including the Multivario and the Held, and find the Held much the better bag. I do not use the Multivario anymore except the one on my R1100RS. I would buy a Held bag for that too, if I rode the bike more.

The ridiculously expensive Multivario and Electrification Kit are, IMO, not remotely worth the cost, nor are they equally as functional as the Held with some simple, bare minimal cost hand wiring.
  13. Bogser John

Oddometer:
    The Colonel wrote,

"The ridiculously expensive Multivario and Electrification Kit are, IMO, not remotely worth the cost, nor are they equally as functional as the Held with some simple, bare minimal cost hand wiring."

You know what, you are totally right, and yet I still went straight for the Multivario, and now I am stuck trying to figure out a slick solution for mounting the juice kit, which does not really fit that bag properly and i paid about $700 for the whole friggin' mess, and now I am really **pissed** off about the whole thing....

thanks for pointing that out to me, i would never have admitted it to myself!

I am :confused: and :mad?
  14. Colonel

Colonel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am truly sorry for being the bearer of lousy tidings, but before you get too pissed, just think a bit about what I stated, to wit:

1. I was stupid enough to buy two of the damned things. Indicates: Very slow learner, a polite way of saying "Really stupid!"

2. I was still further stupid in buying still others. Indicates: Dumber than merely "Really stupid!"

3. If anyone could see (no, I don't want to provide further, fully documented prove of my folly) all of the idiotic garbage that I have purchased over the years <I have thrown out or given away most of it, to stop further shame>, I doubt if anyone here would have any trust in my advice. Generally, I don't. So I research the hell out of everything, then do it again. I HATE getting cheated.

4. Hopefully, I can save someone else from having to learn everything the hard way, as I did all too often.

- Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
    (Confucius)

Seriously, the very fact that you are man enough to directly face and admit to your mistakes puts you in rare company already. You have my respect. If there is anything that I can do to help you, please let me know.
  15. Bogser John

Oddometer:
    :rofl

...when it comes to ignorance, your pal confucius aint got nuttin' on me!!!

why do you think eBay is so successful! at any one time, you have billions of people sellling shit they should never have bought, to people who are buying shit they dont need!!!

its the amurican way, doggone it!
  16. Bogser John

Oddometer:
    if forgot to add the most important piece of info: in all matters GS, I rely heavily on the piscine opinion of my piscatorial correspondent, the :fish:

in fact, it was his enthusiasm that in large part convinced me to buy my GS...and, all of the good things i have :hung on the bike are also as a result of his learned recommendations...

however, in matters mulitvario, there was something :fishie going on...so, all the blame for that should go to him, even though i paid for it....

there, i feel much better already!

:cool3
  17. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    The Colonel wrote: <The ridiculously expensive Multivario and Electrification Kit are, IMO, not remotely worth the cost, nor are they equally as functional as the Held with some simple, bare minimal cost hand wiring.>

Let's not beat up the Multivario bag just yet.
    I'm not going to take issue with the value of the tank bag part of this statement, that's for each individual to make, but I will suggest that some of us do not have the necessary knowledge, time or inclination to wire up a tank bag. The time involved pulling the bits together to accomplish this even with help is out of my expertise, and I'm okay with that. The BMW Electrification Kit gives you three BMW cigar type outlet plugs and a LIGHT for map reading or cosmetic touch up - camouflage, lip balm or whatever, for $129. Now that's a product I'll pay for and I did. And I like it. I think it's great. I can get on my GS and plug in my elec. liner, my GPS in quick order and be off and riding in seconds. I've even started charging my lap top while riding on my last trip to the Sierras using the third outlet. Heck I bet you could instal it on a Held bag as well.

Okay. That should be 8 posts on my way to ten. Harry
  18. Colonel

Colonel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why is it that I so seriously doubt if your Piscatorially oriented Mentor is going to get upset at getting blamed?

You can bet that I have a similarly high regard for his opinions.

In this case, I doubt if he was aware of the Held tank bags, as they are so poorly marketed. Like their gloves, their design, materials, quality and performance are the best availble, but their marketing abysmal. I note that this same generalization applies to Hella (lights), Daytona (boots), and several other German firms. They have the best available products, but make buying them, or even knowing about them, unnecessarily difficult.

Schade.
  19. Bogser John

Oddometer:
    I have Held gloves, and I love them...they wear like iron but fit and feel like kid leather, but you are right, if my favorite parts gal had not suggested I try them, I wouldnt be wearing them.

As for my piscatorial mentor, he is so close now to Beemer heaven that I doubt ANYTHING would upset him right now!!

JOhn

ps...ran into a guy who knows :fish on a trick black GS with metal bags (not Jesses) this afternoon on Hiway One in Marshall headed to Redmond. His name was John Eichelschwazen, or some such, and he had on a hi viz Aerostich. I think he's a member on this list....wish I was going, but Alaska beckons next month!
  20. JimO

JimO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone here comment on the Touratech Tankbag? It has some of the basic features i'm looking for, these being: collapseable (sp?), simple mounting system, shoulder strap, works with sloped tank.

Any others meeting these criteria that i should look at?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/index.html

Thanks
    Jim