Name this engine!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Precis, May 17, 2020.

1. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's not the Guzzi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    numbat likes this.
  2. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Wrong side of the Vcitorian virus zombi-fence
    Yep - reckon that's the one! Rapt I was able to identify the engines. Very seriously cool toy.
    zzzak likes this.
  3. Wumpletoad

Wumpletoad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't wish to introduce any pedantry here but it should be noted that the Barr and Stroud and the Argyll engines were of Burt McCollum design and were of the single, oscillating sleeve type. The others mentioned - Panhard, Voisin, Minerva, Mercedes et al were of the very different double-sleeve type (which only reciprocated) and manufactured under Knight Kilbourne licences.

Daimler were the first to employ this design in 1909 when poppet valves were less reliable and the sleeve valve arrangement offered greatly increased volumetric efficiency. It was almost mechanically silent in operation, a feature much valued by those who were able to afford such expensive cars. As an unconnected aside, the world's most powerful piston aero engine was the H24, Napier Sabre which, on test, produced over 5,500 hp from a 37 litre displacement. It was a single sleeve-valve type. So were the Bristol radials.

Contrary to the Motor Cycle's predictions, the B&S engine had a very short production life - it's only (and rather doubtful) distinction is that one was used by George Brough in a Brough Superior. Nevertheless, the sleeve valved engine was of great interest and much technical merit.
    Richarde1605, bungen, Ron50 and 2 others like this.
  4. Wumpletoad

Wumpletoad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They also made aerop
    They also made aeroplanes!
    Richarde1605 and mrsdnf like this.
  5. Precis

Oddometer:
    Getting on to aero engines, when the first guy to actually fly a plane - Gustave Weisskopf, who did so in front of journalists more than two years before the charlatan Wright brothers introduced lawyers - stopped building planes (when the Wrights got a patent that meant he's have to pay them a patent fee for anything he invented) he continued making engines only and they were as innovative and successful as his single-wing aircraft. But I have no idea how they worked...
    *It was Aussie pilot and aircraft investigator John Brown who pulled together all the info about Weisskopf - he changed his name to Whitehead in the USA - but no less than the Smithsonian has a dodgy deal and vested interests in suppressing the truth.
    Sound like a conspiracy theory? Janes Aircraft doesn't think so; You be the judge: http://www.gustave-whitehead.com/
  6. zzzak

Oddometer:
    Richard Pearce first flew on the 31st of March, 1902, well before Whitehead in August of the same year.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  7. Precis

Oddometer:
    Err, sorry, no:
    "Mch 31, 1902 - First powered flight. Estimated distance around 350 yards. Similar to the first Wright Brothers flight, ie, in a straight line, and barely controlled."
    and " By the end of July 1903, Pearse had achieved flights of around one kilometre in length, and perhaps even more amazingly, some of them included turns !"
    In contrast, Whitehead "on August 14, 1901, invited the press to witness his first, successful, manned, powered flight." and "After the August 14 1901 flight, Whitehead continued to make short flights over the next five months. He then developed a more powerful, diesel engine, calling his new plane “No. 22” and performing even longer flights, one including a full circle. (Flying a 360° circle was the accepted standard for proving an aircraft was controlable in early aviation.) The circular flight was made over the shallows between Charles Island and Bridgeport on Jan. 17, 1902"
    BergDonk and bungen like this.
  8. Wumpletoad

Wumpletoad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Porcupine-002.jpg And whilst I'm here - and I have to admit to not reading all the pages of this thread - I'll post this one which, if fairly easily guessed, undoubtedly is one of the handsomest engines ever.
    Thread drifts often provide fascinating diversions.

My father was taught to fly in 1931 by Bert Mercer in Washdyke, NZ. Mercer was fairly early on the scene of Antipodean aviation (Dad also flew with Bert Hinckler in Australia) and my father told me that Mercer had known Pearse and that the claims made of his flights were true. Certainly, there were several who claimed to be direct witnesses of these events with their accounts being published many years later. Of course, the Mercer claim made to my father must now be hearsay but the claims made for Richard Pearse do seem to have some credible foundation.

Where he stands relative to Weisskopf/Whitehead and the others I would not know. What is certain, however, is that as already has been suggested, the Americans will not allow history to be rewritten, regardless of what evidential material might become available. So there!
    Richarde1605, richo360, zzzak and 3 others like this.
  9. Precis

Oddometer:
    AJS Porcupine? (late and after a bit of Southern Comfort!)
    numbat and zzzak like this.
  10. Wumpletoad

Wumpletoad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You (or the Southern Comfort) get the cupie doll!
    Precis likes this.
  11. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-8-30_17-2-32.png
    zzzak and Precis like this.
  12. zzzak

Oddometer:
  13. Wumpletoad

Wumpletoad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very tasty.
    So is the Ariel 5T - or is it an HS?
  14. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    mrsdnf and zzzak like this.
  15. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ten hours on this piston

[​IMG]
  16. Precis

Oddometer:
    I know what I'd call that engine!
    0405canvet likes this.
  17. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is cool, some friends operate this

A rotary in that the cylinders rotate around the stationary crank, fuel and castor oil go into the crankcase through the crank, no carb just a tampier and although it is four stroke it only has one valve per cylinder.
    A hundred year old design, oh, and we fly it!
    Wodger63 and Boxa like this.
  18. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t start me, fair warnings :-)

Bloody Kiwis flew before the Wrights.
    BergDonk likes this.
  19. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you ever clean the air filter or change the oil, some Cinderella’s have smaller slippers
  20. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree about the drift :-)