Naming waypoint ideas

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by justlookin, Sep 9, 2018.

1. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been traveling and saving camp site waypoints for lots of years and have never figured out a good way to assign a name that keeps them straight. Anyone have a system that they would share, I have such a mess. I am looking to be able to identify things like location, state, forest etc. Also would like to also be able to identify if the site is primitive or has facilities showers etc. My reasoning is that if I am traveling alone, I would prefer a primitive site but if the wife is traveling with me facilities would be nice. Any ideas?
    ohgood likes this.
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Augment the GPS with a notepad?
    9Realms likes this.
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, like a code book to carry in a tank bag or map pocket. Or sometimes I make notes on the margins of state maps, kind of old school but it works.

mapped fellows.jpg
  4. lkraus

lkraus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Create separate POI files, load only the types of POI you want.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i create different sub directories for activities/locations , then copy the really nice ones to my wife's directory. it takes her about ten seconds to fire up the app on her phone, drop into her directory and pick a spot to go visit.

adding a nice long description, a url with live River levels to check and reference the levels of our last visit, closing times, accommodations, and some video/audio now as attachments are really helpful.

Screenshot_2018-09-10-17-45-55.png Effect_20180910_175152.jpg

there's always more info to add, the important part is using a good system to sort them at the beginning, instead of just a never ending list.

she either doesn't hate it, it is really good at hiding her hating of it
  6. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    what systems /tech do you travel with?.You could maybe have a ggogle docs spreadsheet
  7. Migs

Migs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi advNZer
    The thread is old but very relevant. I have also run through this quandary in my head during my travels and this is what I do: During the first journey I Mark the location, remember the automatic number Garmin assigns, and press enter. (this allows me to move on much faster) On a separate note pad I mark the number and the name of the place. If I don't know the name I ask a local or make up a name of my own and write it down. [As an aside, I name each track as soon as possible with the start place-dash-end place. If you don't do this soon you will lose tracks as somehow millions pile up] At the end of the journey I upload the tracks, waypoints etc. to Basecamp and rename all the waypoints using the notes. (I do this because its much easier using a keyboard than entering the data on the GPS.) Next ride I clear the GPS and transfer the selected tracks and waypoints to my GPS. I said notebook in the beginning but I actually use a scuba diver's waterproof slate / 2B lead pencil to write the data down, because it's reusable (erase, and very quick. It's also possible to have the slate exposed all the time somewhere on the dash area of the bike behind the windscreen. I use a bit of Velcro on the back of the slate and some on the bike so it goes on/off quick. Most importantly, I don't have to take my gloves off to reach into a pocket. As for the actual naming I try and use real names now that Garmin allows more characters in a waypoint name, but use "x"'s for crossings, "Y"'s for forks, and such in the name. I hope this helps someone. -Migs
    advNZer? and CapeMan like this.
  8. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i dont use a gps on my bike.I use my gps more like this in the car.Eve in that enviroment i find that the waypoint i have marked somewhere is almost meaningless when i look at it two or three weeks later when i am tidying up my basecamp data/gps archive data(rememeber i am talking about a nuvi).Some kind of system or code is important.A google doc would be much more easily searched/ looked at than any other way i can think of.but an idea(s) shared is a new way of thinking about such things.