Naming waypoint ideas

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by justlookin, Sep 9, 2018.

1. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been traveling and saving camp site waypoints for lots of years and have never figured out a good way to assign a name that keeps them straight. Anyone have a system that they would share, I have such a mess. I am looking to be able to identify things like location, state, forest etc. Also would like to also be able to identify if the site is primitive or has facilities showers etc. My reasoning is that if I am traveling alone, I would prefer a primitive site but if the wife is traveling with me facilities would be nice. Any ideas?
    ohgood likes this.
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Augment the GPS with a notepad?
    9Realms likes this.
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, like a code book to carry in a tank bag or map pocket. Or sometimes I make notes on the margins of state maps, kind of old school but it works.

mapped fellows.jpg
  4. lkraus

lkraus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Create separate POI files, load only the types of POI you want.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i create different sub directories for activities/locations , then copy the really nice ones to my wife's directory. it takes her about ten seconds to fire up the app on her phone, drop into her directory and pick a spot to go visit.

adding a nice long description, a url with live River levels to check and reference the levels of our last visit, closing times, accommodations, and some video/audio now as attachments are really helpful.

Screenshot_2018-09-10-17-45-55.png Effect_20180910_175152.jpg

there's always more info to add, the important part is using a good system to sort them at the beginning, instead of just a never ending list.

she either doesn't hate it, it is really good at hiding her hating of it
  6. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    what systems /tech do you travel with?.You could maybe have a ggogle docs spreadsheet