Narrowing the field...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by TWBmusic, Sep 23, 2019.

1. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no mandatory $375 destination charge, at least not at Toledo east honda in Ohio were me and my son bought motorcycle from, and most the time you pay under msrp.
  2. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    The $375 destination charge is listed on Yamaha's official website. The dealer can choose to absorb it, but few can afford to. It is added onto what the dealer has to pay Yamaha for the bike. Honda started this thing, and now pretty much all the Japanese manufacturers are in on it.
  3. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After looking at both the Hooligan and Liberty side by side and talking to the salesman in the showroom, I think that we have decided on the Hooligan for a number of reasons... First and formost it has more power... secondly you don't have to lift the seat to refill the gas, third the seat is VERY comfortable (softer) compared to the Liberty. In talking to the salesman, he said that he has ridden both scooters countless times and felt the since I wanted the abiiity to travel on the local coast highway the Hooligan would definitely have more get up and go to get out of the way of traffic. It also has a larger underseat storage area. He felt the braking on both scooters would be similar as the Liberty has ABS in the front but a drum in the rear and the Hooligan has disc front and rear. As far as the difference in ride he said that although the Liberty has larger wheels, the Hooligan rides just as well since the tires are fatter and provide a soft ride as well... Of course now that I/We have decided all this, I found out that Genuine discontinued the Army Green color that I liked so I guess it will either be the matte black or matte titanium (we didn't like the glossy white they had on the showroom floor) decisions, decisions....
    The Virginian likes this.
  4. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
  5. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i actually looked at Pacific Motorsports... and was originally interested in a Yamaha Zuma 125 AND the Kymco Like 150i. Unfortunately a 125cc bike is not gonna get it done on PCH... and the Smax is a little pricey in comparison. As far as the Like goes, I have read some stories about people having problems with the brakes and some other issues, but that is the bike and shop where I started my search. The 200i I've read is a downgrade over the Like 150i. BTW that shop has been out of stock on Yamaha for MONTHS! At the shop where I will probably order the Hooligan, they also carry Sym and the salesperson there thought that the Fiddle III would probably be a good fit for my wife and myself.
  6. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    US doesn't get the SH either the150 or 300
  7. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well heck, I'd've gone with the Liberty since I'm a big wheels fan, but congrats on the new bike!

Post some pics, sign up for Scooter Tag, & swap bad humor and good stories with us for a while :).
  8. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be interesting to know the price of these scooters at the dealership, salesmen will push what they make the most profit on.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that my brake problems have been resolved I have to say the brakes on my Like 150i are the best of any scooter I have owned. The power is less than what I was hoping for but it's adequate. If you want performance the Smax will smoke everything else in this class. I would not buy the Fiddle because of it's combined braking system. The Like also has CBS but it also has ABS which compensates for the stupidity of the CBS.

I don't like the fact that the Liberty requires premium fuel. The Hooligan seems to be very well made and is the most comfortable (for me) scooter in this class. It generally gets very good reviews for it suspension and brakes. There were some issues with overheating but I haven't read any reports of that in years.
  10. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Premium fuel in a scooter doesn't bother me. I have used regular in my Italian scoots that call for premium with the only adverse effect being lied MPG. When I'm getting 65-80 MPG it just isn't that big a deal.
    Wentwest likes this.
  11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back when premium was only 20 cents more than regular it didn't really bother me either. Now its typically 60 to 80 cents more. On top of when you have a tiny tank you often get a mix of regular and premium because of the mixer pumps. I know that in practice it's not that big of a deal but it would bug me. It did when I had my Sport City. Back when I had an R1100GS with a 6.6 gallon tank it didn't bother me.
  12. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    On average, when we were in the Black Hills, premium non-ethanol gas was about 40¢ per gallon higher than unleaded with ethanol. Considering I was fueling up every other day or so, I may have spent $20 more for all the gas I ran through in that two month period. Plus, I chuckled everytime I checked my mileage and it was significantly better than what I get for mileage at home. I spend more than $20 taking my Honey to a movie. Even with a senior discount. :jack If I was fueling up the gas tank on the motorhome, I might be concerned. On the scoot, it is insignificant.
  13. tenders

tenders Curator of Entropy

Oddometer:
    The myth about “premium” gas keeps coming up. Different countries calculate octane using different methods, and foreign-manufactured scooter manuals specify an octane rating using the European/Asian methodology. US 87 octane is the equivalent of European 91-92 octane. There’s no harm in using premium US fuel, and there might be a benefit if it happens to be ethanol-free, but it isn’t necessary.
    Tromper likes this.
  14. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Get better gas mileage with ethanolfreeor premium that US regular. Best gas mileage is with ethanol free premium.
  15. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    if the motor doesn't need higher octane then it is just a waste of money. Even non-ethanol premium is a waste, unless you are storing for winter. Use the minimum octane that is required is best for your wallet and the bike.
    Glen e and klaviator like this.
  16. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    To be honest I'm not sure 'bout the Euro Bikes, I haven't owned one since a Jawa moped in the 80s. I believe that would have run on listerine so it wasn't a good example.
    The bikes I currently have do not appear to give any advantage to premium; albeit with the single hose pumps these days it was a bit challenging to get a good clean comparison for that since you get what's already in the hose plus what you ordered. Of course they didn't run any worse that I noted either.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
    Is the basics about octane.
    https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0210-paying-premium-high-octane-gasoline
    Is a study ya paid for if you're in the U.S.

In the end try both, try non eth if you can get it (the SYM likes that a bit better, not much though..the Burgman don't care, although there are other issues with Eth, & rubber seals particularly when storing things)
    If you find a difference use the whateveritwas that was better.

If ya don't find a difference, but still like paying a bit more so you can say you run premium, go for it.
    It's just a scooter, even if you rack up the miles the cost difference ain't that big at 60+mpg.
  17. HandKPhil

HandKPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. forkintheroad

forkintheroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to see a different bike, but was pretty impressed when I saw the Benelli Cafenero 150 the other day. Big wheels, liquid cooled, efi at $2400. Worth a look, at least, if you have an SSR dealership near you.
  19. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chinese scooter with an Italian badge.
  20. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    When I found out that my Yamaha Xmax runs on regular, I switched immediately.

At a recent fill-up I noticed that where regular was $2.499, premium was at $3.599.

That is a 44% increase when the upgrade used to be only $.20 to $.40.

Bill
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.