NASA Rallysport Banter

Discussion in 'Racing' started by GoGoGavin41, Sep 14, 2017.

?

Which kit should Orion get?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2018.
  1. Fox

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Troy Lee

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. O'neil

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Carhartt

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    My high level objective here is to "Increase the number of higher speed, unpaved motorcycle races east of the Mississippi".

I think there are probably many candidate areas all over the country. Some of the private facilities like Brushy or any other "pay to enter" place like that might be a lower hanging fruit in the sense that you don't need a plate and only have to get permission from one entity. I think this is like those Canadian rallies where the whole race was on some huge offroad facility. Getting permission from gov't entities for State / Federal owned OHV areas and roads would certainly be a bigger headache, but could be worth it in some cases.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it would probably make sense to offer entry to SxS, Quads, and anything else that could fit on the proposed course.
    Karl G., jimj911, WIsixfitty and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    The site of the Dragon's Back Enduro, Oak Hill farm (I think), might be ideal. There are a pile of roads and loads of excellent single track.
    Karl G. and GoGoGavin41 like this.
  3. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Will there be rocks? :ear:hide:evil

In other new Rally Kentucky has been cancelled. The roads they were planning on using suddenly got real busy with coal truck traffic. Maybe next year.
  4. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:

There were a ton!
  5. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Where was this announced? I can't find anything on NASA.
  6. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    B Obry posted on fb North America Rally. NASA always seems to be very slow to update their site.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1422297924522800/permalink/4058191234266776/

Bernie Obry and Matt Earl, the organizers of Rally Kentucky; announce that the rally cannot take place this year.
    As we all know, Eastern Kentucky is the heart of coal mining and suddenly, the mining roads and land leases have come to life. When we first visited the area, we discovered miles and miles of wide, unused gravel roads that were available for us to use and host a stage rally. Most of the scouted roads are now being traveled daily by semi trucks filled to the brim with coal. We have a few county roads that we could revert back to and use, but we simply don't have enough time for the local road departments to repair them and produce the product that we all want Rally Kentucky to be known for. As for the other roads we have and could use with no problem, we refuse to put on a stage rally where a single road is used all day. Our low entry fees, supplemented by our presently unnamed sponsors', financial investments, and time away from business and family were meant to create a stage rally that gives back harmoniously to grassroots rally and local communities who so graciously allow us to hold the event. The local communities here are top notch and support us 100%. 3rd District Magistrate of Harlan, KY, Paul Browning, and Fiscal Court Judge Terry Adams of Letcher County, KY, couldn’t do any more than they did to help us out. They both generously gave us entrée and access to people, and local businesses that want this rally to happen. Erik Hubbard’s support was awesome as always with Backroads of Appalachia and linking us up with locals such as James Bailey, and Curtis at Cornett Woods, who showed us a few awesome roads to develop for future use. Thankfully, we had the support of other organizers from the Sandblast Rally, and especially Jeff Field and Wilson Von Kessler who, when we had a rough patch, stepped in with advice, guidance, and active consultation from their many years of experience. With all those things said, we are not going to give up and will regroup for a gravel rally on local roads that are currently being developed with rallying in mind. We thank all those who entered, desired to, and kept pushing us to pursue this event to be a success.
    keepshoveling and GoGoGavin41 like this.
  7. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  8. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    It's Big Pavement and Big Rally conspiring against Grassroots Rally.
  9. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Sumter guys held a dual sport last weekend...
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  10. jimj911

jimj911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am def in for Gavin's idea, there is a few places in PA/NY that might be willing to host. I will ask next time I am there. AOAA in PA, Tall Pines in NY near Alfred and also FRO (Famous Reading Offroad) in PA. The two PA ones are reclaimed mining areas with big coal pits. The mining roads have been opened up to dirtbikes and quads and SxS. Jeeps as well. Theres a little bit of everything at AOAA. Tall Pines is more quad oriented (they held a 24 hour enduro recently) and FRO is dirt bikes (coal hill climbs), lots of single track but also SxS craziness on the weekends. Any word on BRS? They keep posting teasers on their FB page but thats all.
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  11. Karl G.

Karl G. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Windrock Mt in E Tennessee would also be a blast. I wouldn’t mind the transit to run a special stage through the dragon.
    Mr. Ray likes this.
  12. Charles

Charles Formerly known as Dr Whipit Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was hoping that because New York state dropped statewide Covid restrictions, we would hear from the BRS Rally crew. Anyone got any inside poop?
    Mr. Ray likes this.
  13. jimj911

jimj911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have only seen FB posts saying stay tuned
    GoGoGavin41 and Mr. Ray like this.
  14. jimj911

jimj911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Folcher (T7 at NEPA) and I and another buddy are hitting up the NEBDR next week! Vermont class 4 roads.
  15. jimj911

jimj911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Black River Stages replied on their FB page that it is close to being on the schedule. Fingers crossed. Legs too you filthy animals.
  16. NVTS

NVTS Arrivee Secteur Special Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jim, you get your suspension sorted?
  17. jimj911

jimj911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Fuck no. I will refrain from being an asshole online about it. I am willing to do that not online though!
    Karl G. likes this.
  18. NVTS

Oddometer:
    Not the first complaint I've heard about that outfit. They do a good job of promotion but lack follow through.
  19. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    BRS is on. 100-120 stage miles. Awesome roads! It's going to rain... hard.

Sept 17-18, 2021. Harrisville, Diane, Pitcairn NY.
  20. NVTS

Oddometer:
    I leave for 2 weeks in Colorado on the 20th. That's cutting it close, too close.