NASCAR Fans check in. (Haters welcome)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Human Ills, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    It takes a lot of talent to be fast on an oval. :nod
  2. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mansell '93 Indy 500 chasing the leaders after getting passed on the restart. Those were some balls to the wall laps. :deal

Mansell was the only driver to hold the CART and F1 titles at the same time.
  3. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Oh, lord.

Never mind. Carry on.
  4. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    When I first came over here, I sneered at oval racing. How could it possibly be as challenging as road courses? Lame-o!

But the more I watched, the more I appreciated how entertaining it was. Now I'm hooked. Love ovals. Wouldn't mind a bit if the IRL had stuck to Tony George's original mission statement and raced only on ovals.

As for safety, to be honest, NASCAR's new car has made them feel so safe they drive really dangerously. Someone's going to get killed one of these days. Some of the stuff I see them doing just boggles my mind.
  5. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dunno

Can you back up your claim that it cost the teams hundreds of millions of dollars to redesign the cars? I'm assuming you meant extra dollars over and above the hundreds of millions they spend every year redesigning the cars.

:norton
  6. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Do they redesign F1 cars every year? Usually the rulebook dictates vehicle design to a large degree. If you are saying that F1 is a true open event, I'll buy your claim that race teams spend the same amount of money in design every year.:1drink
  7. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I've been an on again off again regular viewer of NASCAR, I've been a CART fan for many, many years. The Milwaukee Mile, Loudon, Nazareth and Phoenix bullrings produced some of the best racing I've ever seen.

Superspeedways aint so super IMHO.

The run to the flag at the last Daytona race comes to mind.
  8. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    It's no big deal. You haven't been following the drama in F1 the last couple of years, so no worries.
  9. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    2008 budgets - includes design, manufacture, testing and racing.

Toyota 445.6m

Mclaren 433.3m

Ferrari 414.9m

Honda 398.1m

Renault 393.8m

Bmw 366.8m

Red Bull 164.7m

Williams 160.6m

Toro Rosso 128.2m

Force Ind 121.8m

S Aguri 45.6m

I haven't seen numbers for 2009, but they are reputed to be 30% less on average. Go back a few years and news reports had Ferrari spending 600m a year.

All figures in USD.

Estimated Budget breakdown, from F1 Racing, based on 2006 season

[​IMG]
  10. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a cop out. :cry
  11. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    No. They develop them.

Every once in a while, for a variety of reasons, often safety, the FIA mandates substantial changes to the racing regs.

Last year, in response to fan surveys that showed how deep was the fan discontent with the lack of passing, the FIA mandated a complete, very drastic change. The cars are very different. Hugely expensive redesign.

Top teams (Ferrari, Mclaren) that were competing for the driver's title until the very last race last year, were caught out in two ways: they got behind in development of the new design, and they interpreted a rule about rear diffusers in a different way than did a couple of traditionally less successful teams (Brawn ((was Honda)) and Toyota.) That's the only reason traditional winnows have become big fish this year. With normal development of the current design, expect the traditional powerhouses to reassert themselves next year.

This year, huge drama as Max Mosely, president of the FIA, tried to ramrod yet more expensive design changes, an arbitrary spending cap, and an F1 with split technical regs - one set for teams that didn't adhere to a cap, and a more liberal one for teams that did.

That fiasco cost Mosley his job and almost led to an IRL-like breakaway series led by the major teams.

There's more. But the upshot is that no, this year's redesign is not business as usual. And when the FIA tried to push for yet more expensive changes for next year, it almost killed F1 as we know it.
  12. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    You win.

You're the better man. The best. The superior one.

OK?

Let it go.
  13. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    That sounds totally contradictory. How can a liberal interpretation of the rules be cheaper?
  14. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    I should start an F1 thread. I'm working on a title, I'm pretty sure the word snob will make it's way into it.:augie
  15. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Keep turnin' left!

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bG2OcW_Hwkg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
  16. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Classic :lol3
  17. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    :dunno

Someone had to throw a brick at this NASCAR Love-in....
  18. Dano 407

Dano 407 One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Do any of you guys watch Speed Channel's "Wind Tunnel" with Dave Despain on Sunday nights? I believe he does the best job of discussing the motorsports happenings of the week with a critical eye. Some fluff, and some frivolity, but a real discussion each week.
    Robin Miller was on there yesterday and they hold no cows sacred between them; it is entertaining television, if you are into motorsports.
  19. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    I don't go to many spectator events at all. I'd rather being doing something myself than watching somebody else do something. Short track stock car racing is just a damn good time though. I try to go a couple times a year to a local track. I sit on the front row at the finish line.
  20. exwingnut

exwingnut Entremanure

Oddometer:
    I have a dirt 3/8 mile banked track less than a mile from my house, it is always a good show and worth the money I spend to attend.

Mmmmmm, sideways. :raabia