NASCAR Fans check in. (Haters welcome)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Human Ills, Jul 17, 2009.

1. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    That's an excellent question and one Max Mosley was never forced to answer. Self-evidently absurd. One reason why he'll be gone in November.
  2. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    We have one. It's in the racing forum. Drop by. :freaky
  3. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I have from time to time. There is some good stuff. Unfortunately, I think Despain is a windbag. :lol3
  4. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    I don't think Nascar is lying, he's in denial.
    Aaron Fike was taking heroin before truck races, at least he admintted it.
    his career is effectively over, even USAC told him he would be drug tested regularly if he returned to race midgets.

Thraan, a World of Outlaws sprint show is great, lots of speed but not a lot of passing for the lead most of the time. the winner usually comes from the front 2 or 3 rows.
    the cars have huge tires and a bunch of wing to hook it up.

if you are in Cali you need to get to a USAC/CRA show
    non wing sprint cars are tougher to drive, more sideways action and a leader can come from the back of the pack sometimes.

I am not a big fan of dirt track stock cars, my Dad was a sprint car racer, he wouldn't walk across the street to see a stock car race.
    he was a big fan of the flat track and speedway bikes, he liked that sideways stuff.
    The last race I was able to take my Dad to was local non wing show that paid 10K to win, always remember that one, we had a great time.

Thraan, here's a little sideways action for ya.:evil

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/35kc9-w87uI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/35kc9-w87uI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  5. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    I like NASCAR - way more for the team-work in the pits and backwaters than the drivers. I like them (even the drivers) in all vexes... X ,Y, Z. or otherwise. The owners are just big-rich, and really, (come on) don't play anything 'cept corporate-sponsored figure heads. (Jack Roush? With the "signature hat"?) ... meh.

Whatever.

I dislike hearing dummies who don't follow the sport saying that they "only turn left" - that's stupid. Really dumb.

The drivers matter, of course, but they wax and wane every quarter. For instance, my friend loves Mark Martin - and from what I can tell, he's doing pretty good this year. I think that she just likes him because he's an old guy like me.

Given that I am a Matt Kenseth fan, I can't believe I am writing this shit. He has sucked almost all the time albeit, since his Championship.

Now, I have liked the way that that tiny little weed Joey Lagano has worked out...I am starting to like Tony Stewart (his boss) again, now that he isn't such a jackass.

Ryan Newman has always been up there too.

I liked the old, typical, redneck, beer-drinker-fan of Earnhardt's 03 - but - alas, I never found him all that GD appealing. I am sorry he died. He was one of the best. The wreck he died in wasn't worthy of his kick ass spirit.

There is WAY MORE than just turning left. I have been studying it for almost 10 years.

I LIKE full bodied, 3000 pound cars battling around an oval.

Daytona is next weekend.

Cool beans.

Go 17, 20, and 39 (Ryan Newman - the other driver that's okay)

All I'd say is put some GD windshield wipers and threaded tires on them when on the road courses. (I've seen wipers before)
  6. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah! :clap That's some great entertaining racing. Many thanks for sharing! :thumb
  7. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    :nod Werd.
  8. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Stock car racing is more than competition between drivers. It's competition between pit crews and mechanics and crew chiefs. To me it's all interesting.
  9. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    I think it's a good show. Unfortunately I had to scale back on my cable package, so I've been missing out. One good thing about the Chase, the final ten races are on broadcast.
  10. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    That's crazy. That's how the winged cars used to behave 20 years ago when I was going to the fairgrounds every week. Those were good times, and I wasn't even drinking then. :1drink
  11. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    +1. I think the general sorry state of the safety crews at the tracks is going to play into the eventuality too. Not to slam these folks, (local volunteers and EMT/paramedics/fire dept.) but they don't seem to have the training for motorsports-specific accidents. Watch a wreck during a Sprint Cup event and see how long it takes for the rescue crews to arrive. It's embarassing. NASCAR would do well to look at F1's traveling safety teams.
  12. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    Truth is I've never been to a motorsport race. The only exposure I've got is the tiny bit I happen to catch on TV.
  13. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    You ought to give it a whirl sometime. People watching is really good too.
  14. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Between the off-track antics of the team members and managers, I've come to appreciate NASCAR as the motorsports' world version of the WWE.
  15. NC-Okie

NC-Okie Long timer

Oddometer:
    This weekend's race at the Brickyard is going to be interesting. If they have another fiasco like last year or are they going to be able to race. If the track condition hasn't been fixed it would be nice if NASCAR drops Indy from the schedule in 2010, Tony George would really be squirming then.

Also the Track and Nationwide races at IRP are always good.
  16. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't you throw baseball, basketball, boxing and football into that mix as well?
  17. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
    Who let that cracker out of the bag?
  18. SgtMike

SgtMike facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer:
    let's keep it about the sport, please. No bashing and I'll stick around.
    Been a fan since the late 70's, Dad took us boys to Bristol - that was all it took.

I live 10 minutes from Lowes Motor Speedway, work in Mooresville, worked in racing professionally for 10 years now - can't get enough!!!!:deal NASCAR, INEX, USAC, DIRT, IMCA, UARA, if it goes in circle, I've built shocks for it... even rebuilt the shocks for RCR's Dale Earnhardt #3 they donated to the HALL OF FAME. AND - You can see my shocks in Talladega Nights, under the hood of the "ME" car.

Any of you "out of towners" want a tour of our little racing town - let me know.

My $.02 - no fan of "Smoke", but he's gonna be the Champ this year.
  19. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    The Bristol night race is the one I want to attend more than any other. To me that's what stock car racing is all about. I'd love to see them put the pros out there for a 20 lap bomber feature. How much fun would that be?
  20. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm talking about. Stewart better tack on a couple wins before the Chase, or he's going to be in a hole going in.