NASCAR Fans check in. (Haters welcome)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Human Ills, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Hedge36

Hedge36 My e-penis is huge.

Oddometer:
    :nod Bristol at night definitely doesn't suck. If you can get to the 600 in Concord, I recommend that too.
  2. NC-Okie

NC-Okie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been to Charlotte, Martinsville and Darlington I really want to see the races at Richmond.

It is hard to describe watching a 3400 pound cars fly through the corner at Charlotte. Lap after lap I keep thinking there is no way they will make the corner with the speeds the are going and they do over and over.

hell even Lewis Hamilton was quoted last week saying he wants to try NASCAR.
  3. SgtMike

SgtMike facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer:
    Great to meet you at the dinner...

If you'd like to experience those corners at Charlotte, I work at the Richard Petty Driving Experience part time... could try to get you a ride:D (I work this Sunday).

4. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Bristol, Martinsville and Richmond are three tracks that I'd love to watch a race at.
  5. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    To a certain extent, yes. Anytime there's more posturing off the track/playingfield/diamond/court than playing on it, it tends over that line.
  6. Jim Moore

Jim Moore "You ain't black!"

Oddometer:
    I'm not an expert like some of you guys, but I went to the Daytona 500 a few years ago. Goddammit, that was cool.
  7. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Small local tracks are gritty, noisy and kinda fun. Dirty, too, if it's a dirt track. :lol3
  8. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    What was the problem last year? Was it the track? Or was it that the tires couldn't handle the track?

I saw some "competition yellows" during a race earlier this year, because Goodyear couldn't make rubber that could handle the stress. I can't understand how that can happen. Both the cars and the tracks are known quantities. No surprises.

It happened with F1 at Indy a few years ago. Most of the grid wouldn't start, teams refused to participate in anything that wasn't a full-out race, wouldn't accept slow laps to cool off the tires. Complete and utter fiasco.
  9. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Me too. Hard to get a ticket, I understand. It would be a blast.
  10. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a combination of abrasive track surface and the COT throwing Goodyear for a loop. The tires simply wore too quickly. They tested twice (I think) this year at Indy to make sure they had a compound that would stand up to the abuse.
  11. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    12 laps before total tire failure.
  12. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Nuts, I tell you. The cars and the track were known quantities. Michelin deservedly got a lot of flack for that mess.
  13. kscyclone

kscyclone Hell yea I'm ready

Oddometer:
    They've all but ruined Bristol with the repaving. If you want tickets now, you can probably get them. It's not what it used to be.

I heard tire testing went well at Indy and they can't have another 10 lap tire. Now, they may end up with a hard tire and no grip, but it's going to run laps. You can count on that.

I've been watching for the last 20 years and while it's not what it used to be, it's still a great time to spend the day at the track.

Stewart is a second half driver, and I think it's about to get ugly for everyone else. It's all his to lose.
  14. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    :poser
  15. kscyclone

kscyclone Hell yea I'm ready

Oddometer:
    I assume you're talking about F1. Goodyear in NA$CAR.
  16. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Michelin owns Goodyear?
  17. Dano 407

Dano 407 One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer:

Ours isnt that close, but when the World Of Outlaws comes to town, I sure try to land that ticket. THAT is a show.

I grew up about a mile from another dirt track where street stocks and sportsmans were run. We attended quite a bit between the late 60s and mid 80s. I saw a lot of wrinkled Chevelle sheetmetal.
  18. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Confusion between tire manufactures for F1 and NASCAR aside...

IMS diamond ground the track surface last year and the COT has different suspension geometry from the old cars. This combination made for an unknown quantity for Goodyear as evidenced by what happened.

F1 never tested at Indy and F1 teams design and produce new cars each year. This made for an unknown quantity for Michelin.

Tire compounds are not an exact science. Sometimes they get it wrong. Sometimes spectacularly wrong.
  19. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Correct, the F1 fiasco of a few years ago. Michelin subsequently bowed-out of F1.
  20. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I thought you were referring to F1. Same deal, total destruction within a fixed number of laps.