NASCAR Fans check in. (Haters welcome)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Human Ills, Jul 17, 2009.

1. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    I raced karts in the old days with Scott Pruett.
    he is a very good driver, excellent car control and doesn't tear up equipment.
  2. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    :thumb Nice to hear good things about him.
  3. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    I've never heard that.
  4. SgtMike

SgtMike facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer:
    Manufacturers aren't happy about it, should be interesting to see where this goes...

GM resisting 'muscle car' marketing for Nationwide COT: NASCAR executives are trying to turn the Nationwide series into something of a 'pony-car,' 'muscle-car' tour, which is a brilliant idea, with potentially new demographics and more marketing punch. And those who have seen the new NASCAR-designed Nationwide car-of-tomorrow say it's a good-looker…though conceding it will be a major expense, for teams that are already deep in a hole. Ford and Dodge have signed on to that 'muscle car' marketing concept, but General Motors' officials are continuing to resist putting their new Camaro into the on-track mix. Okay, why? The new Camaro is already a well-marketed NASCAR pace car this season, and it's a spiffy muscle car, which would match up well with the Mustang. So why would GM resist NASCAR push to include it in next season's Nationwide tour? Simple – GM is resisting putting the Camaro under NASCAR's 'common template' body rules. GM's Chevyt division wants to hold to the Camaro's distinctive new styling, rather than have to slap decals on a race car that would be all but identical to a common template Mustang and Charger. (mikemulhern.net)(7-3-2009)
  5. SgtMike

SgtMike facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer:
    testing shot...

[​IMG]
  6. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    That's cool.
  7. NC-Okie

NC-Okie Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about Ron Hornaday! in the Truck Series, 51 years young and at the top of his game! I never understood why Earnhardt replaced him with Michael Waltrip. If RH had the chances MW has had I believe he would have had won races in Cup every year.
  8. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    $$$$$ :dunno
  9. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nascar - what a joke.

Identical cars painted up to look different.

Restrictor plates so they all have the same horsepower.

200 mph parade with a test at the finish line to see who is the dumbest.

I'm sure it takes some skill to drive 200mph, but I just don't get it. Pit stops and strategy affect the race more than driving ability.

But it is sold well.

The real question is - how bad will DMG screw up motorcycle racing in the usa before they have to let it go?

Did you see Rossi pass Lorenzo in the last corner a couple weeks ago. That is racing.

Bikes are truly different and represent the best effort from the manufacturers.

Riders are highly skilled, to say the least.

Nascar - just doesn't interest me.
  10. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why do people who do not understand a sport like to make disparaging comments about that sport?
  11. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    You must be a soccer fan. :lol3
  12. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Maybe a little bit... :D
  13. NC-Okie

NC-Okie Long timer

Oddometer:
    This basically addressed to SCFrank:

Yes I enjoy MotoGP greatly, some of the best racing there is but how many bikes? 16 and less every year. How many different winners in MotoGP? 4

NASCAR is the best racing in America currently. Yes I believe it was better in the late '80's and early '90's. Yes I wish they ran stock sheetmetal so there was differences in the cars.

Restrictor plates are ran at 4 races and my understanding is to keep the average speeds under 200 mph for safety and insurance reasons.

Rickey Carmichael is known as the Greatest of All Time Motocross racer has said it takes alot more mental sharpness to race in the truck series then he ever had to use to win in motocross.

Like it or not NASCAR is part of America
  14. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Oooh, Liverpool. Gonna be a rough season, I predict. Team's not improved itself, it would appear.
  15. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    When it comes down to it, all sport is silly and frivolous. :nod

I choose to enjoy spectating anyway.
  16. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been a rough decade domestically, but I've been a fan since I was a wee boy. Gerrard re-signed for and two years and was found not guilty in the bar brawl case. He's an awesome player, one with the ability to lift the entire team. Anyway, through thick and thin I'm a Liverpool fan. :thumb
  17. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    With regard to the goat, maybe he had/has more natural bike ability so that riding for him was completely unconcentrated. Aytron Senna spoke of doing pure unconcentrated laps. Monaco '88 he went faster and faster until it scared him. He was not consciously controling the car, it was all just happening for him. He was a second and a half faster than Prost and another second faster than thrid place. A huge gap for qualifying and for Monaco.
  18. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The couch potato in me agrees. :D
  19. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    Thanks for stopping by to contribute to the thread. Have you ever been to a short track stock car race? How many passes would the typical bike race have as compared to a typical stock car race?
  20. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll bet it's not as many passes as Nirak gets on here... :D