Nashville, TN to DG route ???

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by freaking RT, Jun 18, 2002.

1. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    on the map, from Nashville to Deals Gap, it looks like Murfreesboro to McMinnville to Dayton to Athens to DG is a good route.

is there a better path?
  2. Krautbikeman

Krautbikeman Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer:
    I have only ridden east TN a few times, but I had a LOT of fun on 116 running westward from Lake City (NW of Knoxville) towards Frozen Head State Park. Lots of offcamber, decreasing radius turns with weird elevation changes thrown in.

It looks like that would be out of your way though, so I'm not sure how useful this will be.

I assume you already know about the Foothills Pkwy from 411 down to 129. Cherohala Skyway is also awesome, if you are going midweek. There are lots of squids on the weekends and a correspondingly high number of LEOs.

Hwy 68 south from Tellico Plains towards GA border is sweet. There are lots of bicthin roads there, so let me know how much time yoou have and I can provide addl suggestions...
  3. freaking RT

Oddometer:
    I'll be coming back from AR. Stopping briefly just S of Nashville. then over to the Cherohala and DG. From there running the BRP from the southern end home.

I'm looking for a fun route from Murfreesboro to Tellico Plains.
  4. freaking RT

Oddometer:
    some of those guys at MRN aren't too bad :D

here's a suggested route from recourses. looks good!!

Slab it to Murfreesboro and get off at the exit for 96 and go east. Just past Murfreesboro you'll pick up 70S, also going east to McMinnville, where the fun begins. Then take 30 east to spencer Pikeville and through Dayton, Old Washington, Dectur and Athens. A few miles past Athens take 39 going east. It turns left off 30 at a gas station. This is a SWEET road Larry and I discovered, though watch the debris. It takes you all the way to 68, where it deadends. Take a right (going south) and then a quick left into the BP and get gas/water. Head south 200 yards and then turn left toward the Cherohala (165). It turns into 143 at the NC state line. In Robbinsville, take 129 north. Deal's Gap is the intersection of 129 and 28. That's the southern end. You'll head north from there.

For a different way home, take 72 west off the north end of the gap. Then southwest on 58. Then west on 68. Then north on 127. Then west on 70N (not 70).

http://potassium.synclogic.net/ubbt...r=58922&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=