Nashville to Santiago - August/September 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CaveJohnson, Jan 20, 2019.

1. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally actually throwing my had in the ring with this one. I'm planning a trip from Nashville, TN to Santiago, Chile starting in early August of this year. The only really concrete parts of my route I have planned out are crossing into Mexico via Laredo, and taking the Stahlratte around the Darien Gap either the third week of August or second week of September. I'm hoping for a mix of light/moderate dirt and pavement. The big unknowns for me are the volatile areas in Mexico, as that seems to change on an almost daily basis, and places to avoid in Guatemala and Honduras. Doing the trip on my '17 Africa Twin, with a mix of camping and hostel-hopping, and I don't have any scheduling constraints, so I can definitely take my time and explore. That said, I'm budgeting around two months for the trip.

I did have a travel partner lined up, but his side of things fell through due to work changes, so if anyone's thinking about making a trip through Latin America around that time, let's link up!
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gonna be a hot trip. Mix of "light/moderate dirt"? where are you finding those roads in Mexico,etc? I like the Eagle Pass, TX crossing but you'll hear other ideas too.
    As for volatile areas in Mexico, I personally have never seen one as yet. Hotels are cheap and camping is not logical in my experience down there.
    Travel partners are very hard to line up.
    Sounds like a fun trip.
  3. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping so. I'm expecting more off-roading in Guatemala/Nicaragua and South American in general than I am in Mexico. I just figured Laredo would be the easiest crossing since it's technically the closest to where I'm starting out, but if there are other crossings that are easier to get through, I'm all ears.
  4. RangerRobbie

RangerRobbie n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm planing on leaving from Alberta in the start of steptember to South America for 6 months and also willing to meet up with ther riders thorughout the trip.
  5. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When do you think you'd be passing through the US?
  6. RangerRobbie

RangerRobbie n00b

Oddometer:
    The 1st week - 1st & 1/2 week in Sept. I dont really dont whant to spend too much more time than that in the US. I've done the SD-TJ boarder crossing before and its a breeze, I wouldn't feel comfortable stoping in TJ through. .
  7. CarloxCruz

CarloxCruz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @CaveJohnson We should connect! I currently live in Nashville and always wanted to ride down to Santiago because I have family there (I'm half Chilean). I probably won't be able to make a trip this year as I'm waiting for my Chilean citizenship to come through (no visas in SA :D). But I'd love to hit the dirt devil or other local rides with you this spring, I should have a 1090 by next weekend.
  8. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We should! Send me a PM and let's see about riding together when the weather isn't complete s**t ;)
  9. Wichser

Wichser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving ETN in a few weeks to do West coast and BC, AK, that will be about the time I need to decide if Chile is the next step.
  10. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Allow me to poke you in the direction of YES! Would love to have a partner for the entire trip, and a fellow Tennessean to boot.
  11. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    EVERY crossing INTO MEXICO is EASY. It's heading north across that border which is the pita.

Your dates for the Stahlratte read as rather tentative . Is that because their schedule is not known yet? They are not a very frequent or regular service .You can't expect to ride up and say '"One ticket please".
    Seems you should be making your reservation now to assure your space .
    Ride Mexico with an open mind and go anywhere you please, IN DAYLIGHT while minding your manners and exercising common sense and awareness of your surroundings
    and forget those noxious misinformed warnings of places to avoid
  12. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I actually e-mailed them a week ago with no response. Their website shows a departure from Colon on August 20th, so that's probably what I'd be aiming for; 20 days through Central America might be pushing it, so that might shift the start of my trip a little earlier. I don't plan on traveling at night at all, regardless of where I am; I just got back from a week of driving around central Mexico, and have no desire to repeat the experience of being passed willy-nilly on narrow, unlit roads full of blind curves. I will probably be sticking to a fairly central route just based on cities/places I want to visit, but other than wanting to get away from the border fairly quickly, I'm not ruling anything out.
  13. Stahlratte

Stahlratte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, did you write to info.steelrat@les-raisting.de ? Did you check your spam folder yet? Sometimes the answers end up there... Sometimes Ludwig is just to busy to answer immediately but one week is really unusual. Please let me know via pm if you don't find anything and I will contact him.
    By the way, the boat is not leaving from Colon but from Carti...
    Cheers, Stefan
  14. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM sent!