Nasty note for parking bike in a "car spot"?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by scottdc, Oct 8, 2019.

1. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone else ever gotten a nasty note for parking their bike in what someone considers a car spot? My wife an I both commute daily on our bikes, no car by choice, and have been for the last 8 years. Today in her garage the motorcycle parking was blocked by construction and the folks working in the garage told her to use any spot she liked, only to find a note later from some cager basically telling her to park in a "motorcycle spot" next time, but using much more colorful language. I actually asked if she had inadvertently parked in a handicapped space or something because the note seemed *way* out of proportion, threatening. Oh, and there were other open parking spaces, so it's not like she prevented them from parking whatever POS car they likely drive.

I park in regular spaces when necessary and have never had something like this happen, yet I often see cars parking in or blocking motorcycle-only spots. I always figured parking in a motorcycle spot was a nice thing to do but a parking space is a parking space, not like there is a sign that said "cars only" or "car parking".
    rokytnji and Suncoaster like this.
  2. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    It's just perception. Most cars only have one occupant.

Years ago there was a protest by the local motorcycle organisation about parking,
    they got hundreds of riders to park one bike per car space in the city, legally of course.

The city looked deserted and quickly got the desired extra bike parking. (Melbourne footpath parking)
  3. st3ryder

st3ryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't see why a cager would think a motorcycle can't park in a parking spot, but here have been many times when I wanted to get out of my car and move an e-bike parked in a parking spot. :-)
    SmittyBlackstone and scottdc like this.
  4. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    No note, but I did have a woman in a giant SUV in the grocery store parking lot tell me that I was parked in a space meant for cars. There are no dedicated motorcycle spots in this lot.

I gave up arguing with idiots long ago and just smile and wave.

All she knew is that she wanted my spot and deserved It more than me for reasons. Nothing else mattered to her. And I'm sure she uses the same logic when it comes to road use too.

Be careful out there.
    eakins, Foiler, RedEX and 22 others like this.
  5. mjc506

mjc506 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I work in local government in the UK. We get similar letters quite often. They seem quite upset when we tell them that there's no such thing as a 'car space' :-)
  6. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Well, it's Portland, so...
  7. ThruTheDunes

ThruTheDunes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scott, given your characterization of the note as threatening, have you considered showing it to the folks that manage the parking garage? They may have surveillance cameras that would help identify who left the note. Failing to be responsive to a threatening note left on a woman's vehicle is not something that would be good for their social media profile...

Just a thought.
  8. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah we are planning on it. The folks who run the garage are nice and usually helpful.
  9. zaxrex

zaxrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So... where am I supposed to park my bike? We don't even have motorcycle parking.

People can be sanctimonious shitbags.
    dueldub2, kwthom, wb57 and 7 others like this.
  10. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on what ThruTheDunes said. Behavior like that only escalates...
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  11. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep..Been given ‘notes’ by one public and one LEO for parking in a Handicap zone..though my m/c indicates a handicap plate/sticker...
    neanderthal, Bar None and vector6 like this.
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some people just don't care even if what one is doing is legal and correct. I had a cyclist scream at, and spit on me because I was blocking a bike lane while making a delivery. That I Had a permit, and the city had set up barricades didn't matter to him. In his mind the city didn't have the right to issue permits to block bike lanes, that trucks must use loading zones, and it didn't matter that there wasn't any within a mile of where I was delivering.
    Another time I had to double park because a car was parked in a load zone. When the driver showed up with her dry cleaning in hand, she didn't want to wait a minute for the forklift to unload the last 2 pallets, and wanted me to move "NOW". Before she could finish with her tirade, the forklift operator took a picture of her parked in the load zone, and yelled at her to "shut up, or I'll report you to parking enforcement, I have them on speed dial".
    Foiler, texag10, Rick G and 9 others like this.
  13. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    A parking spot is a parking spot. The unhappy person can go pound sand.
    Boatman, Byrdmando, Barry and 5 others like this.
  14. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No notes, but have been given my fair share of harsh language. It's even worse when I park the Trail 90 since it is so small. I park across the end of the space, so it really shows all the open space at the front.

This is a conundrum of mine when I park my motorcycle at my local Walmart. I've had fellow customers tell me to park my motorcycles either at the front of the store in the striped areas or on the side of the entrances where no one walks instead of in a 'car spot'. I've also had fellow customers tell me that being on a motorcycle doesn't make me special and I should park where everyone else has to park. When I point out to those fellow customers that other fellow customers have told me to not take up an entire 'car spot' with my motorcycle, they usually turn red and storm off.
  15. mysticbus

mysticbus Mysticbus Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I ride my monkey, I put it sideways in a car spot on the back of the cement curb stop, basically leaving the who car space available. I do this so a small car can share the spot, so far it has worked great, i get beetles and fiats in the spots with me, nobody has touched my bike. When I ride my RD or my Africa twin, I park sideways at the street end of a parking spot to keep cars from trying to share with me, because I have had old ladies try to squeeeeeze in next to my bike.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  16. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    hadn’t noticed that’s where they OP is listed.

I had a weird experience there once - years ago before we moved to Portland. My wife and I (2up) were trying to park in a garage downtown and as we pulled up to the automated gate an attendant tried to wave us away saying all the motorcycle spots were full. There were clearly many “car” spots open, so I said - no problem, we’ll just pay the car rate. He said what do you mean, car rate?

It was of course the same price to park a bike or a car, and there were empty car spaces...but somehow we couldn’t pay for one of those because we...I don’t know...wouldn’t fully utilize it?

Weird interaction and we did eventually park there. In a car space.

I noticed after we moved there that the city also had (very few at the time) dedicated motorcycle street parking, but - you guessed it - it cost the same per hour to park your bike in a fourth of a car parallel spot as it would to park a car in a whole space.
  17. Khantahr

Khantahr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This needs to happen in Portland, who's in?
    neanderthal and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  18. maddjack

maddjack UFO Pilot Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had idiots walk up to me and tell me I am " hogging " a parking space. Then when i tell them most cars have 1 occupant and I pay the same road taxes and fuel taxes they do , they shut up or walk away. Once in a parking garage this happened and since around here you get no break in price for motorcycle parking I pointed out i was paying the same as a car or SUV so I was entitled to the spot same as him. Audi boy turned red and left. As long as the note didn't threaten , don't worry about it.
    LewisNClark and neanderthal like this.
  19. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Years ago, I went to a concert down in Miami. There were several private parking areas nearby where they charged $5 to park in their lot. I parked my motorcycle in a normal space as directed by the lot attendant. As we were getting off the bike, a horseback mounted cop rode up, and told me to park off the side in the dirt. I told him that I paid the same as a car, and I parked where I was told to park by the lot attendant.

He then proceeded to lead his horse right up to my face, to intimidate me. He repeated that I was to park in the dirt. I had been around horses quite a bit before then, so the horse in my face wasn't having the effect he wanted. I was about to do something stupid, so the person I was with convinced me to just let it go, and move the bike.

Still pisses me off.
  20. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The flip side of this was in the Town of Morrison Colorado about 15 years ago. A weekend destination in the foothills for a Sunday morning coffee before riding up into the canyons. They had metered parking on street. The local town cops were ticketing bikes if more than one bike was parked in a paid spot. A judge with some sense put a stop to that using the reasoning that you pay for the spot so park whatever fits safely and legally.