Nasty note for parking bike in a "car spot"?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by scottdc, Oct 8, 2019.

1. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Let it roll off your back. I don't pay attention to comments from folks who like to play parking police.

When I park in "car" spaces, I intentionally park the bike diagonally or in a manner to take up as much of the space as possible to deter people in cars from squeezing in next to me. Before I got smart and parked off to the side or at the back of a marked space, almost without fail, I'd come back out to find a car sharing the space with me or blocking me in.
    spo123, SmittyBlackstone and scottdc like this.
  2. GearedUp

GearedUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something similar happened a few years ago in PA. Local town business didn't like all the motorcycles gathering for breakfast. Police started ticketing more than one bike per space so the next weekend motorcycles parked one bike per space taking most every space in the small town artsy business district.

Foiler, texag10, r60man and 13 others like this.
  3. blue72beetle

blue72beetle Look at my Wee

Oddometer:
    So long as I can't lane split then I'm taking up a whole damn parking spot.
  4. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much this. I always try to find a spot that only a motorcycle can occupy, or park up with other bikes in one 'car spot', but if it doesn't exist its a normal parking spot. No guilt, I tried.

The local big barn hardware store has a dedicated motorcycle spot. Doesn't stop cars using it. Does annoy me, but not enough to be bothered getting off the bike and writing a note. Have to have a pretty small mind to do that, so just see anyone who did it to a bike as not worth a second thought.
  5. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I park in the end striped zones when possible. If anyone said something to me I'd say "Okay, but really do you want to park another spot further away from the store?"

I used to tell my dad to use his handicapped parking hanger and use a handicapped spot. There are always open handicapped spots and he can legally do it, leaving a regular spot open for others.

I will never have a problem using a full parking spot no matter what anyone says. I'll tell them I could just as easily been parking my truck there had I driven it.
    drw1926, Moto Jimmy, DADODIRT and 2 others like this.
  6. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Contra point our local mall has a few dedicated motorcycle spots close to the building. They’re clearly marked with signs on poles. Of course, one day I found a Mercedes rag top backed into one of them.
    SmittyBlackstone and scottdc like this.
  7. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The expectation - at least here in NYC - is - for on-street parking - you pay the same rate as a car and then take up 1/8th the amount of space as a car would as you are required to park perpendicular to the curb. Similarly - in a month parking garage - I typically pay between 1/4-1/3 what a car pays and am expected to jam my bike in an area 1/8th the size of a typical car space.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  8. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    NYC should grow up and allow parking motorcycles on sidewalks. Back when I used to work on 47th & Park, a blue Suzuki was parked on the sidewalk everyday for years - no license plate, VIN # filed off.......Then suddenly one day it was gone. A month later I parked my bike on the sidewalk on a Sat as I had to get in to work for an emergency and building security had a 'talk' with me.
    So silly. Most large cities in Europe allow m/c parking on sidewalks. So much easier.
    Ginger Beard and gary_a_gooner like this.
  9. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lived in Portland off and on for most of my life, never had a problem before but please feel free to tell me why you think this is a Portland issue.
    neanderthal and hound dogger like this.
  10. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been there for breakfast before a ride, I didn't know that had happened.

Yes, and they allow lane splitting to. I like to say "Other civilized countries and California allow lane splitting..."

I have gone to a few Rockies games on my bike. I have parked with the bicycles up front. I always expect to see a ticket when I come out, but so far have not.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  11. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I've been gone from Colorado living in Mexico for 12 years so I don't know what the current status is but other than Colorado Springs for a while Colorado was always pretty motorcycle friendly
    scottdc likes this.
  12. Khantahr

Khantahr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two problems with Portland:

Virtually no motorcycle parking anywhere except a few odd business and the airport (which has awesome motorcycle parking).

Each motorcycle has to pay the full parking rate, even if 5 of them are in one spot.
  13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Parking garages are always flakey when it comes to bikes, in my experience.
    neanderthal and scottdc like this.
  14. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are garages in downtown Denver that do not allow motorcycles.
  15. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I love when I get to interact with people like that. Smile and kill them with 'kindness' all the while mentally giving them the :flip
  16. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    I call those interactions "fluff" used to enhance my enjoyment of riding my scoot. Blow the ignorant minds with Love and Kindness
    but stay parked.
    ThruTheDunes likes this.
  17. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Maybe get a sticker to put on the gas cap "POLICE MAKE ME PARK HERE!"
    RedEX and scottdc like this.
  18. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Some people are so goddamn stupid I'm surprised they remember to breathe. Any tax-paying, fuel-using, roadgoing vehicle has just as much right to any parking space as they do. Fucking narcissistic shit bags. Probably showed up in a completely empty F150 or SUV or Minivan anyway. Then if you want to go park on the sidewalk with your motorcycle, somebody probably gives you shit for that. Can't win.
    drw1926, RedEX, Ginger Beard and 6 others like this.
  19. Coalhound

Coalhound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep
  20. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had some asshat move my TW200 into a bicycle parking area before. This is in the parking lot where I parked every single day for work. I was *pissed*. (I started using the steering lock and a chain after that)

Charles.