Nasty note for parking bike in a "car spot"?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by scottdc, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't speak for all of them of course, but I've seen several parking garages here in WI that don't allow motorcycles at all.

I haven't had any notes or anything like that otherwise, though. Some places have motorcycle parking, most don't, but never had an issue in a regular space. The HD crowd is pretty common here though, and a ton of those need a full space anyway, so maybe it's just normalized here to see bikes in parking spots everywhere.
  2. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where I work has some motorcycles spots but they are way the hell out past the smoking area so I use a regular car spot. Perfectly legal. Came out from work one day and there was a sticky note on my windshield saying "There's bike parking .....d**k head".

Of course, I usually park in the spot where folks cut through to save walking all the way around the lot and I've had quite a few folks say they like my bike there as it's much easier to walk around my bike than some damn shiny F150 with the big mirrors and the ass end blocking the cut-through.

The spot is usually open when I get to work even though the ones around it are full. I think most people really do prefer my bike there or they wouldn't leave it for me.
  3. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Some asshat left me a rude note when my bike was parked in my own driveway the other day. Looked suspiciously like my handwriting, come to think of it. Apparently I'm even a dick to myself.
    MotoSly, CaseyB, drw1926 and 14 others like this.
  4. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I came across a no motorcycles allowed parking garage in California not too long ago. Weird, don’t get it.
  5. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    Yep, that was in New Hope Pa. somewhere around 2001 if I recall.
    phillyrube and Traxx like this.
  6. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.

Oddometer:
    I sometimes wonder if it has anything to do with liability. Parking garages get their share of Exxon Valdez vehicles leaving a thin layer of oil, but no rain ever washes it away. I've found parts of some garages to be slicker than snail snot, especially when cars have tracked water in on a rainy day. Or they are just dick heads.
    lnewqban likes this.
  7. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it’s far more likely they think motorcyclists are going to ride around the arms and not pay.

Charles
    RedEX likes this.
  8. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, in one of three "big" cities in Montana, the general atmosphere is motorcycle-friendly. Often there's "scooter" parking that less-than-full-dress MCs can use without confrontation. At the two local Wally Worlds, sidewalk-parking is...not expressly permitted, but tolerated. Downtown, there's places alongside dumpsters, where the meter maids don't look at.

In years past (the trend is shifting) there were Motorcycle Parking spaces. I used to use those. But there's enough other options.
  9. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    That could be, I did ride around the arms one time when I got in a big mess trying to find an address and ended up in a parking garage by mistake.
  10. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    One of the parking garage companies over here in Norway is perfectly OK with bikes going around the arms and park IF they can find a spot not usable for cars...
  11. BMWrider79

BMWrider79 Here

Oddometer:
    At a hospital I teach at they make you go around the parking gate arms. It’s a bit tight, but I don’t have to pay so no complaining on my part.
    X5- and Traxx like this.
  12. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    The world is full of a$$holes who derive some sense of satisfaction from 'instructing' others on the error of their ways. If what your wife did was acceptable practice (and it is, a motorcycle can always park in a wider single-vehicle space by law and custom), then take that note for what it was worth (nothing) and handle it appropriately (by discarding it in the nearest trash receptacle).

An insult from a stupid person means nothing.
    squonker, BMWrider79 and Traxx like this.
  13. ghedunk

ghedunk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason parking garage don't allow motorcycles to park are the asshole HD riders that have make their straight pipe bark and piss everyone off .
    kwthom and neanderthal like this.
  14. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I worked mounted as a deputy in Lee County FL off and on for 9 years and never told a motorcyclist that they could not park in a car space. Of course I was also a motorcyclist.:lol3
    RedEX, Florida Lime and Traxx like this.
  15. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure why it is. I've only noticed it when in a car, because so far I've never needed to use one when on a motorcycle. IIRC, they were all garages with no attendants. Not sure if that has anything to do with it?
  16. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:

Finally got to the right answer. I've made a special point of parking motorcycles in many places, including parking garages, that have "NO MOTORCYCLES" signs. Never had any trouble or even a raised eyebrow in several states.

What these signs really mean is "NO LOUD MOTORCYCLES".

Open pipes in a parking garage are painfully loud.
    RedEX likes this.
  17. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Being a country bumpkin. Thanks for this thread. I don't get into the city much.

Edit: I'll guess I'll mention I turned around at the County Fair in Odessa Texas because they wanted me to park way back far away with the cars. There was no up front motorcycle parking of any kind. So I mosied around 300 miles that day.
    neanderthal likes this.
  18. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I am trying to imagine how sad and pathetic your life has to be to write a note like this.

Maybe the dude's mom was banging bikers..... Or maybe his wife is.

That's all I can think of for a reason.
    drw1926 likes this.
  19. maynardjr

maynardjr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When people ask me where I live, I tell them E-5.
    One possibility for not allowing motorcycles in a garage that hasn't been mentioned: The automatic gates aren't set up to detect motorcycles.

There are two garages that I use on a somewhat regular basis (less than once a week, more than a couple times a year). The first time I tried to get a ticket to open the entrance gate at the first of them, it wouldn't work. The attendant came out, told me that the loop that detects vehicles wasn't sensitive enough to pick up a bike so that I couldn't pull a ticket to get in, and then pointed out that the entrance gate and one of the exit gates was cut short so that motorcycles could ride around it. Apparently when the garage first opened, the gates came down too soon and whacked a couple of motorcyclists as they rode through. Cutting two of the gates short was the solution. (For the record: I have a parking pass for this garage, so I'm not parking for free...others probably could.)

At the other garage, pushing the button to get a ticket to enter works: I pull the ticket, the gate lifts, I ride through, and the gate closes behind me. But the exit gate won't accept a ticket to figure out the charge unless it senses a vehicle...and it's never sensed any of my motorcycles. The attendants keep a metal folding chair near their desk, which when laid on the proper spot on the pavement convinces the exit gate that there's a car there. Once I get their attention, they carry the chair over and lay it on the ground over the loop in the cement, and then I'm able to pay. The last time through, a new attendant told me I just needed to pull up further, in a tone of voice that suggested I was some sort of fool. I pulled up, which didn't work, so he punched some sort of override code to get me out. In this garage, the attendants sit in an office 20-30 yards away from the gates, so it takes some time and effort to get out.

So I could imagine a garage where the entrances/exits don't have an attendant, and they just don't want to deal with the liability or hassle of motorcycles not properly triggering their gates.
    emptyHead, Deanowade, bomose and 2 others like this.
  20. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the record, I often drive a damn shiny, empty F-150.