Nasty note for parking bike in a "car spot"?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by scottdc, Oct 8, 2019.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Years ago I had someone berate me for parking in the area in the front of the parking lot with the diagonal lines, which is basically empty space. Okay, I thought it was BS, but I started parking in regular car parking spaces after that. Then, I got some butthole who then berated me for parking in a "full size" parking spot. Since then I figured that I can't please everyone, so I might as well park close, and I went back to parking in the front with the diagonal lines. No issues since then, but I'm sure some busybody will eventually bitch about it. People are assholes.
    drw1926 and William Wolfen like this.
  2. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice assumption and mediocre bash, but you’re wrong. The garages here that won’t let you park a bike won’t let in any bike. They are perfectly willing to call the cops if you wish to try to force the issue.
  3. Traxx

Traxx Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can stick a rare earth magnet under your bike to increase the magnetic field. That seems to work at red lights for me.
    Before the magnet on the cowl of the Trophy I would generally sit for a few red light cycles before getting the green light. Since sticking a magnet, I get the green light on the first cycle most of the time. After doing the research I also started changing my lane position so it may be a combo of both. Worth a try at least.
    https://motorbikewriter.com/mythbusting-green-light-trigger/
    emptyHead likes this.
  4. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Is it easier to ban loud motorcycles or just ban all motorcycles? IMO, obnoxiously loud motorcycles don't save lives, but they do piss off the public and make life harder for most other riders.

EDIT: and even as a rider, they piss me off too.
    drw1926 and William Wolfen like this.
  5. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never said I was a fan of loud pipes or loud bikes.
  6. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bingo to the loud pipes answer.

Not long ago, I was waiting in the exit/tool booth line at one of our downtown parking garages (it's a big city - we have 2!). This one has a free moto parking area by the booth. It is also next to the police station. I watched 2 cops, in uniform, approach and get onto their Harleys. When they started them, half a dozen nearby car alarms went off. They were most amused by this and sat there for a few seconds, bliping their throttles and laughing.

Between the bikes and the alarms, it was quite a racket. I'm sure everyone within earshot was impressed, I know I was.
    drw1926 and Mofo Flake like this.
  7. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    Most garages in NYC don’t allow motorcycles. I used to park 10 blocks away as the garage in my building or the 50 closest ones wouldn’t allow bikes.
    When I commuted in to NYC after moving to NJ, I parked a 15 min walk away as none of the garages in the vicinity of the office allowed bikes.

Now, we have a massive garage behind the office in Jersey City (Newport). Bikes get their own section right outside the gate (still in a covered area) - don’t even have to swipe my badge for entry. The parking lot manager has an office right next to the bike parking and parks his own car in that area. Loads of cameras as well.
  8. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    You missed my point. I'm saying there's a good chance loud pipes could be the reason some garages ban all motorcycles, even the quiet ones. It's easier for them to just say 'no motorcycles,' rather than have their parking attendants make a determination on which bikes are too loud to ride through the garage.
    neanderthal likes this.
  9. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Why are idiots such people?
    mitchapalooza likes this.
  10. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Where?
  11. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    This was what I immediately thought too.
  12. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's certainly an assumption. But, even a skosh of actual research shows that's almost never the reason. For example:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/bs-xpm-2010-05-14-bs-md-motorcycle-parking-20100513-story.html
    Traxx likes this.
  13. echo15

echo15 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leaving economy parking garage at Tampa (TPA) airport, which I used a lot (former job had me flying at least once every week), paid my bill and had the gate come down hard on me as I proceeded to exit. I learned there were other reasons to wear a helmet. The attendants ran over to see if I was alright, which thanks to the helmet, I was. Problem was fixed almost immediately.
  14. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don’t remember, sorry.
  15. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    DID YOU HEAR THE PART ABOUT LOUD BIKES SETTING OFF CAR ALARMS IN THE GARAGE?

maybe not.
    rokytnji likes this.
  16. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Officially, yes.

And here's a thread from the HD pirate forums discussing setting off car alarms that will make any responsible motorcyclists cringe and shake their head.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/309435-setting-off-car-alarms.html

These were just a few responses from the first page of the 9 page thread on the love of setting off car alarms with obnoxious exhausts. You don't think this kind of crap causes anti-motorcycle sentiment and leads to garages banning motorcycles? Even if they don't explicitly say it, I have no doubt it has at least contributed to banning motorcycles from garages. But it's much easier to claim a safety issue.
    RedEX and neanderthal like this.
  17. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Again, I've never said I'm a fan of loud pipes. I'm not.

Ignore parking garages stated reasons for banning bikes if you wish. That is certainly your right.
    Traxx likes this.
  18. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    I have gated parking at my office. It's badge access to get in, but only mag loop to activate the gate to get out. After this happened a couple of times, they cut off a section of the exit gate and motorcycles are now required to go around.
  20. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was a "flagging and communications" volunteer at Watkins Glen International for a few years. The only regular that always traveled by motorcycle. I regularly rode trackside to my assigned station and back, occasionally getting an extra lap or two for a little fun. It was a good time except during NACSAR's annual visit. They wouldn't even let a motorcycle beyond the entry gate. Worker or spectator. I had to leave my motorcycle at the gate and call for a ride to my camper in the worker's compound.

I don't think it was a noise issue.