Nasty note for parking bike in a "car spot"?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by scottdc, Oct 8, 2019.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    ^ Quoted from another thread.

2. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    scottdc likes this.
  3. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I think all parking should be designed for 2-wheels. If you have a car, simply pay for 2 spots. Easy peasy... :D
  4. kwthom

kwthom NOT CV-19 infected; 3x tested!! >:0

Oddometer:
    Have had more than one discussion about this with local po-po; that's parking in a no-park zone. Per traffic marking regulations, striped areas are not for parking but for pedestrian access. Same as parking on the sidewalk.

Naah, I'll consume a whole parking space. :thumb
    brgsprint, Florida Lime and Traxx like this.
  5. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    No argument from me on the legality of it. I've just taken the stance that since I've gotten shit about both ways, I'd rather park closer. Around here it's pretty common to see bikes parked in those areas, so it's not something that police are ticketing.
  6. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep.
  7. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I always think this is because they don't want Harleys with straight pipes in there. Those are loud.

Quebec City banned motorcycles a long time ago because the noise was breaking the 500 year old buildings so they said.

I think it was the dynamite that the two biker gangs were using at the time.

No idea what the current status is.
  8. HairySheep

HairySheep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Lexington, KY there is a garage that does not allow bikes. Had i read the sign before going in, we probably would have turned back. Apparently, the gate is setup to push a ticket based on a scale in the ground. We tried for a good 10 minutes to make it work before we got all 4 bikes lined up right and ran through the gate as soon as it lifted. We paid for one spot, and were able to squeeze all 4 into the same spot...mostly. Upon leave we saw the "No motorcycles allow" sign :D
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two wheeled version of 'Rolling Coal". Same attitude & mindset, just two less wheels.
  10. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Post edited out.

"What we have heah...is a FAILURE to COMMUNICATE."
  11. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Antisocial, imbecilic behavior is not limited to owners of one marque; or one form of vehicle.

Public stupidity is epidemic.
    Tall Man and Traxx like this.
  12. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a damn shame that asshats like that mess it up for those of us that actually keep it clean and quiet.
    scottdc and Ginger Beard like this.
  13. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ummm... I was not under the impression that the comment I quoted was stating that discussing anti social behavior was bullying.

Maybe I missed something?

I dont actually consider either act bullying, one is just being an asshole (intentionally setting off car alarms), the other (discussing it) is just telling it like it is.
    Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  14. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
  15. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    Never heard of or been exposed to anything like that, having been commuting for decades on bikes. I park, anywhere, but most of the time in a car-sized parking spot in front of my office window.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.
    scottdc likes this.
  16. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today I got lucky as a car was backing out right in front of the store I was going into. Waited for them to back out and I pulled in and parked. As I was taking off my helmet a woman in a Suburban stopped to tell me I was parked in a car spot. She was pretty livid. I asked her where I should park and her reply was "where the rest of the motorcycles park". Looking around I saw a bike parked in a spot a few cars down so said "like that bike in that parking spot?". She called me an asshole and sped off.
    :photog

Back in '86 when I was going to college I came out to the parking lot to find a parking ticket on my bike. The ticket was for parking in a space for automobiles. The lot did have 10 spaces for bikes but there was typically 2 cars parked in them blocking all leaving no space to park a bike. I had never seen any of these cars with tickets on them. Tried fighting the ticket but the school said if I didn't pay they wouldn't give me my grades. From then on I parked in a lot on the other side of the campus and never had another issue even though I parked in regular spaces.
    :bluduh
    RedEX, neanderthal and Traxx like this.
  17. boomsling

boomsling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F'em. I've been bitched at for parking in a non-car spot (striped lines in a parking lot) and for parking in a car spot. Can't win sometimes...
  18. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    I’ve ever had a situation exactly like the ones described here but I did have an altercation once in a Publix parking lot. At the end of the second 600 mile day in a row riding from Ohio down to our place in Florida, literally 3 minutes from my destination I stopped to stock up with a couple of necessities and about the time I’m wadding my Aerostich up into my pannier an irate old man in a caddy pulled up screaming and swearing at me because apparently he had been driving in circles waiting for a parking spot and there happened to be one available at the moment I pulled in the lot. Whatever. But I’m pretty sure the situation would have been no different had I been in a car...
  19. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    And as for parking in the striped end spots, well that’s ILLEGAL so I’m not getting a parking ticket just because some soccer mom can’t find a parking spot.
  20. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the opposite experience last week, crowded parking lot at a popular after work brew pub (they dispense Alien Amber, originally from Roswell). A car backing out, a jeep and I were waiting for a spot. Both of us had circled the parking lot a couple time. The jeep was in a better position to get the spot. So I motioned to him to take it. He roll down his window and said I should park the bike there. There were a couple bikes the adjacent parking spot. He insisted so I parked, waived and said thanks. I watched and he found a spot after another lap. For every asshat there many more good people.
    If he had come into the pub I would have bought him a beer.