Nasty note for parking bike in a "car spot"?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by scottdc, Oct 8, 2019.

1. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, do that sound familiar!
  2. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that in Colorado, local police do not enforce parking regulations in a private lot (like the grocery store, or WalMart, etc.). I regularly park my moto in the striped areas, as long as it's not so narrow that cars might be turning across it, or as long as it is not associated with a handicapped spot. I think that IS ticketed here, or maybe the lot owner just has you towed away.

On the other hand, it's ridiculous for a car driver to insist that I should not park my moto in a regular parking spot if I wish. I'd just shake my head, say 'you're wrong' and walk away.

..........shu
  3. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IIRC it's the same here in WI, most parking larts are essentially private property. I also think that's not the case for designated handicapped spots, though.

I've been wondering since everybody keeps mentioning the striped areas how often those are found which aren't part of a walkway or wheelchair/mobility device loading space. I honestly haven't been paying enough attention!
  4. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    as a land surveyor, I use my bike to run errands, visit job sites and go to places like county registries, to research deeds, even in the winter, as snow & ice don't bother me. A few winters ago, I visited one of the county complexes that has specific motorcycle parking. (only cause they have a spot not deep enough to fit anything but the shortest cars) In the winter, usually, they store snow in the spot, but this day it was clear, and there was a smart car parked in the only remaining area that wasn't piled with snow. It wasn't that I had a problem parking in a regular spot, the motorcycle spot was close to the building with the handicap spots. The county sheriff's office was in the same building, cause I didn't have to go out of my way, I first went into the sheriff's office. Turned out, the smart car belonged to the dispatcher, she apologized to me, and was surprised that someone on a motorcycle would be out on such a snowy day
    1twinfan likes this.
  5. grumpyoldbstrd

grumpyoldbstrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suncoaster likes this.
  6. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I commute by motorcycle and the underground parking garage i park in allows bikes right up near the door to the elevator which is unused space for the cars that wouldn’t be accessible. With so many corners, areas around pilars etc in parking lots they should just designate all the nooks and craneys as motorcycle parking. Same with Walmart’s etc, right up agains the building is a good area for bike parking. Just make it official. Good for the cars and the bikes as it’s wasted space.

Most people think commuting on a bike is suicidal risky behavior that I bump into. They think I’m completely insane for doing it.
    drw1926 and scottdc like this.
  7. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Well, they're right if you keep bumping into them!

:lol3.............shu

(Totally agree about the unused possible parking spaces.)
  8. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:

I do my best not to bump into anything :jack
  9. Tall Man

Tall Man Come and take it.

Oddometer:
    Darn those misplaced modifiers!
  10. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    So you're blocking the ONE place everyone tells cyclists they 'have to ride' and you're wondering why a cyclist was pissed?

I drive for a living too, but would never block a bike lane if there was something even remotely close that left the bike lane clear. I'd rather park in a no parking zone than block the bike lane.

M
  11. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you drive for a living, or drive a truck?

Because I'm guessing you've never delivered construction materials, which is what I'm guessing this guy was doing if the city was blocking the lane off for him.
  12. Khantahr

Khantahr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you miss the part where the city had blocked it off and issued a permit?
  13. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the time I parked my truck along the side of a residential street, delivering some beams to be used to replace a failing pedestrian bridge in the neighborhood. Construction crew shows up, another truck shows up and delivers the forklift they were using to move the beams. Construction crew blocks off the street, yellow do not cross tape all over the place, and they get to the process of lifting the beams off of my trailer. Well over a dozen people simply pushed the tape aside so they could walk/jog through the area, right next to/under where they were lifting 5 ton beams. And every single one of these people were out for a recreational walk/jog, not a one was trying to get somewhere. Every one of them could have gone the long way around with no problems, but they just had to shove their entitled little asses through the lifting area.
    drw1926 likes this.
  14. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    and how is that actually relevant to the cyclist in question?

There's a HUGE 'ride in the bike lane and only in the bike lane' sentiment on the road and no amount of the city issuing a permit will fix that.

That cyclist probably* overreacted, but the constant attacks from drivers do wear one down.

M

*I wasn't there, but I do have experience in this matter..
  15. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the guy on a child’s toy had a childish attitude about someone in his way!

:pot

Charles.
  16. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moving van, sleeper semi with 48' trailer, an old residential brownstone neighborhood with parking on both sides of the street. Expecting people to have their furniture and belongings schlepped all over the neighborhood, and expecting movers to dodge traffic and pedestrians while carrying said furniture and belongings (including 2 pianos) all day is absurd.

First off, anyone so inconsiderate of people working deserves no consideration. Secondly, it was a door zone bike lane that many cyclists weren't using anyway.

BTW, I'm a cyclist too, but I was brought up to respect, and accommodate people working.
  17. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    No one should interfere w/ the spandex mafia.
  18. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Any time I get angry at a cyclist I just remember this:

Traxx likes this.
  19. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be thrilled if cyclists would just follow the damn traffic laws!
  20. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I want a threesome with Jewel Staite and Morena Baccarin. And it's about as likely to happen too.

Charles
    KMM696, Karlfitt, Traxx and 1 other person like this.