Natchez Trace

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by jclark, Sep 19, 2002.

1. jclark

jclark Lost again??

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone,

A friend and I are riding the Natchez Trace this weekend (south to north) and I was wondering if anybody had some info on places off the Trace worth stopping to see. We are taking two days for the 450 miles just to allow us time to play. Not looking for touristy attractions but more of the "hidden" treasures, cool roads, and good eating.

Suggestions?

Jim
  2. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had planned to ride it in July, but didn't make it.

Heard from some fellas who had--they said it was nice. Very little traffic. All services are off the road a ways.

One place in particular was said to have especially good food..but my buddy had talked to the guy so I don't have the name. I'll try to contact him this evening and get it for you. It was an inn or roadhouse--that was in the name, I think--and it was something like a hundred miles from the north end. Sheesh, I can't even recall if it was in Tennessee or Mississippi.

Boy, I'm a big help.
  3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Inbred Mountaineer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Cruiser (I think) had an article about riding the Trace back in the spring, I think.
  4. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    pavlos Dog wrote a song about it
  5. jclark

jclark Lost again??

Oddometer:
    Ok guys thanks for all the help... I think. :huh

The trip turned out great. Got rained on Sunday morning but it was dry other than that and Monday was one of those "perfect" motorcycle days. Cool but not cold, not a cloud in the sky, and nothing to do and no place to be... :1drink

I also now know why deer get hit on the road. On this one stretch that had lots of room on both sides I saw a doe run full speed from one side of the road to the other. Either she started with her eyes closed and just said "NOW!!!" or there was another deer in the woods going "I bet you can't make it..." :arg

No problem for me or my friend but I bet the person in the mini-van which almost got close and personal stopped at the next restroom... :evil

Jim
  6. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    This happened to me on the Trace last year! A deer came blasting out of the woods on my right, sprinted across the wide grassy shoulder, over the road just ahead of my front tire, across the grass on the left and back into the woods. Just as you noted!

Steve
  7. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    There are 4 of us riding out to Mason this Sunday to ride the James river road. We are meeting at the corner of 620 and 71 at 7:30 in the morning. So far 4 bikes are going.

My son is picking up a new 2003 KTM 525 EXC tomorrow. I encouraged his foolish behavior. I can't wait to try it out.

john in austin.
  8. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    What's the 525 all about? I hear mostly about 640lc, duke, adventure, but nothing about the 525.
  9. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    I picked up Chris's (my son) new KTM 525 today and then had it come loose in my new trailer and take its first fall with out any one on it. it took it pretty well. I feel worse than my son.

we rode it at City park in Austin this evening. All I can say is it's too much for my riding ability. I never had a bike try to leap out from under me before. It weighs 239 lbs and seems stronger than my 640 adventure. I have never seen my son with a bigger smile on his face. Nothing is worth more than that.