Nathan and Elena's Aussie Ride-About

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nathan, Oct 23, 2010.

1. nassho

nassho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Nathan

Isn´t Elena ready for another round?
    Do you think she´s now unreliable?

Hope you find a nice job.
  2. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    Man, I've been neglecting my RR. Yeah, the final update probably isn't coming. Real life has sucked my will to live.

Elena is definitely retiring. She probably could do another trip, but I just don't see the point when low-KM DRs are so cheap. I even have a name chosen for my next bike. But I shan't ruin the surprise by telling you it now. :hide

I'm confuzzled. Who's the pretty girl?

I did make it to ACT, so 7/8th. Don't try to take cans of WD40 into parliament!

25! I'm actually 33, but with a mental age of 17. (33 + 17)/2 = 25 :clap
  3. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    Ah, renting a Royal Enfield. The only way known to man to make one of those death traps even less reliable. How many people have you roped into going so far?

Done and done, mate. I'm not sure when the next one will be though.

You've had first hand experience of what total slacker I am, so this really shouldn't surprise you. How's everything going, mate? I'm bored to tears, but still can't force myself to apply for jobs. Do you think Colebatch will give me some of his money? :rofl
  4. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    G'day Nathan. :wave Good to hear from you. Are you still in Oz?
  5. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    I'm in Brizzy, living the student lifestyle, but without actually having to do assignments!
  6. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    im there most of the day next wednesday!!!!!!

cuppa?
  7. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a good life. Expensive (unless you're living in the parklands under a cardboard box) but good. Take it easy mate. :beer
  8. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC

For some reason this news does not surprise me!:getiton

Why did you spend all that time, energy and $ to get that Mech Eng again?

Sounds like you should sign up for Engineers Without Borders (http://www.ewb.ca/en/index.html) and travel while your waiting around for your body to grow old and your mind to grow weaker.
  9. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    Sure thing, Shaggie.

I'm hardly spending anything right now. If there's one thing I know how to do, it's living cheaply.

God knows. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Now you've got me all depressed. :cry
  10. FloorPoor

FloorPoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind being a war profiteer check out dyncorp internationals webside, under recruiting, Even remedial jobs on the NATO base in Afganistan pay 114K usd anually, on a contract basis. One year folding laundry or repairing tents could net you 5 years of living on the road. I have been thinking of that myself a bit lately.

Good luck, and don't let the depression get you too far down.
  11. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    I most definitely do mind profiteering off war. But don't let that stop you from going for it. :lol3
  12. nassho

nassho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Nathan

How are you?
    Did you actually find a job?

You must jump on that bike and start riding so the rest of us can spend our "working time" reading your report. :cob
  13. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC

+1......I keep tabs on this thread.......... just cause I really want to see how this one turns out!
    .....maybe he is camped out in one of the "Occupy Protest" camps somewhere in Oz?
    ....ping....ping are you still out there? :ear
  14. Ruis_Rider

Ruis_Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nathan,

I started reading this report last year (where does the time go!) and life preventing me from reading through it all until just now! It has been great. Unfortunately, your last video is gone (the link is dead) so hopefully that can be repaired so I can take a look. :cry

My mother's Australian and I've been many times but only dream about doing a rideabout like this. Hopefully one day I will get the chance!

You're writing and pictures are great and I think you should seriously consider a career where you can use those skills...not to mention the Elena troubleshooting and recovery skills you've also picked up!

Good luck to you and if you are ever traveling the US you have a place to crash here in VA.

:clap:clap:clap

Later,
    R
  15. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming. Waiting with bated breath.
  16. seJ LeFrew

seJ LeFrew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man, that was well written. Good job on the DR, never dropped one in 6 feet of water. I felt like i've learned some tips as well.
  17. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    I had a request for an update. So here goes...

First off, I would like to thank OneOff for giving me a place for crash for a week or so. That was a much needed rest. Sorry I didn't come and visit you later, mate. Um, my excuse is that I'm a bad person and an even worse friend, and that once I finally stopped riding Elena, I just didn't feel like getting back on her again.

After mooching off OneOff for a bit, I finally found a place to live with a couple of university students. I think I also set a new world record for moving into a place too: roughly 90 seconds. Bim (a 20-ish Vietnamese guy) and Luke (34-ish Aussie guy) had a spare room in a "Queenslander" house. I'm still not really sure what a "Queenslander" is, but I think it's a house on stilts with wooden floors that cause anything bigger than ants moving inside the house to sound like stampeding elephants.

It was a typical guy flat: a shower that was never cleaned, a weird pendulum thing with a point on the bottom that would have left beautiful spiralling designs in a tray of sand... if the sand wasn't covered in mold, and a washing machine that needed a watering can full of water to be strategically positioned on the lid before it would stop emitting beeps and cryptic error messages and actually wash the damn clothes. I stayed well clear of the moldy pendulum.

Generally, I have to say, it was a good flat. Luke was doing a degree in psychology, so we would have big arguments about psychology stuff. Luke thinks a coherent theory of mind would be the biggest scientific breakthrough of the 21st century. I consider this to be heresy of the worst sort. Surely we can all agree that "the mind" is just an emergent phenomenon of a very complex system of neurons. :nod

Bim provided a much needed counter point to this by maintaining a remarkably consistent pretence that his Asian heritage had gifted him with kung fu powers and over-boiling fish heads on the stove, then not cleaning up the mess. The house smelt like rotting fish heads for about three weeks as we all waged a three-way game of chicken to see who would crack and clean it up first. In the end, nature saved the day. I guess there's only so much that fish head effluent can rot before there's nothing left to stink any more.

Switching track for a second. You guys probably recall my employment woes in Perth. Obviously, I didn't want a repeat of that, so I fell back on my faithful old strategy of dealing with my complete unemployability: pretending the rest of the world doesn't exist. I did peruse seek.com for a while, but I realised that I just didn't care. When the postie bike jobs are more compelling than double-speak business jargon bullshit that all the engineering jobs contain, you know you've got problems. So I thought, "Screw it! One dream ends, lets start another," and I started writing a book.

It turns out writing books is really hard. Yes, I'm aware that my namesake, Nathan the Postman, wrote a book without all the whining I'm doing. And there's Striking Viking who's written a bunch, and there's also... Fuck you guys! I'm doing the best I can, alright?

So anyway, I spent a while learning the intricacies of plotting and three act structures and such, and before I knew it, summer was arriving. Life was back to being hot as fuck. I decided I didn't want to deal with Aussie heat any more, so I booked a flight home. Elena was a bit of a problem, of course. I love her dearly, but she's practically an archaeological site with all the different layers of red dust on her. There was no way I was going to get her clean, and even if I did, the cost of shipping her back to NZ was more than she was worth. Luckily, DRJoe, who has a penchant for knackered DRs, decided to take her off my hands. I was quite happy about this because, even though I treated Elena about as badly as anyone could, I really do love her. I'm like a toddler dragging their favourite teddy bear around by the ear. Yeah, it's not good for the bear to have his ear pulled constantly, but the rough treatment comes from not knowing any better, and teddy is what gets me through the scary night time.

So Joe has Elena now. Every so often I click on the "Some Assembly Required" forum, clap a hand over my eyes while the pages loads, then peak through my fingers to see if Joe has created a new thread where he hacks Elena's frame to pieces. So far, I haven't spotted anything. Thanks for not savaging Elena, Joe. :clap

And that largely brings us back to the present. I'm living in a dumpy (i.e. having the characteristics of a dump) single bedroom flat in Christchurch now, and slowly chipping away at my novel. It's still got a long way to go, but I can share a wee excerpt with you.

18. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I nuked the last video. Sorry about. Google search privacy concerns.

Thanks for the kind words, mate. Do Aussie before they pave it all! :nod

[Edit]I feel I should mention why I haven't been around on Advrider. I'm not really in a position where I can do another ride, and the siren call of the ride reports forum has been a bit too much for me. So I wrenched myself out of it. One day, in a brighter future where we all ride electric motorcycles, I'll be back in a more permanent form.
  19. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh sorry mate but I gave the old girl some lovin.

[​IMG]

Still has red dirt ground in to the tank
  20. jmcg

jmcg Turpinated..

Oddometer:
    Yours was the first ride report I followed all the way through.

Very entertaining.

Thanks.

All the best.

Cheers,

JM.