Nathan and Elena's Aussie Ride-About

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nathan, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    *Clutches chest*

That's one way to fix the bent subframe, I guess. I also see DR-Z 400 forks, a new wind screen, and a new muffler. And a disturbing lack of red handguards. :ddog

I'm a bit conflicted. Is there a thread detailing those mods?
  2. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    No thread, just basically put all the stuff from my old one on this one.
    The hand guards are on the Postie bike that just did the trip to wa.

It handles fricken awesome now just need to fit that twin in it and I'm finished:rofl
  3. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    [​IMG]

.........kind of like seeing that old old girl friend again.........only after she been dating another guy(s)?
    :*sip*

good to hear your still out there!
  4. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Mum!
    Nathan's picking on me again!

And I don't smoke...
    :deal
  5. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yo Nathan! Good to hear you're still kickin'. Keep it coming.
  6. OneOff

OneOff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A week??
    Felt like three months!! :D

Good to hear you're still with us mate. Drop in next time you are about, you're always welcome.
    Not sure if you have been following the exploits of our Guzzi mates but they had a major off about a month ago just out of Melbourne... hospital, rehab, the works!

Book is looking good; non-fiction is it??

Pete.
  7. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    The sun was kissing the horizon as the rider approached the small outback town of Walladingdong. Man and machine formed a black silhouette against the waning sun; the dust kicked up by the newcomer's passage stained the sky a rosy pink.

A road train was double parked outside the pub, dwarfing the tin shack. The rider slowed, pulling in the clutch and rapidly down-shifting with several staccato taps of the gear lever--a flagrant disregard of proper motorcycle operation that wasn't lost on the locals. The men sitting in the shade of the veranda, grizzled with boot-leather skin and a keen sense for trouble from the harsh outback living, gripped their neoprene stubby holders tighter. This was trouble alright.

The rider came to a stop, planting both feet firmly on the ground, then hit the kill switch on his XT225 Serow. He remained sitting on the bike, staring silently at the locals through a dirty pair of sunglasses, before slowly pulling a can of WD40 out of his jacket pocket. The newcomer thumbed the red plastic lid off, letting it fall to the ground, then brought the can up to his nostril and let loose a long blast while breathing in deeply. A tremor ran through his body as the WD40 coursed into his nasal cavity. He shook the now-empty can, dropped it to the ground and rubbed his arm across his nose.

The men on the veranda shifted uneasily.

The rider pulled a cigarette from behind his ear, bent over and lit it on the cherry red header pipe of his motorcycle, then took a long, slow drag. A muffled whump! and slight jerk signified the extent of the exothermic reaction in his respiratory system. He spat--a cloying black blob that spun through the air and landed in the dust like wet tar, then pointed his cigarette to towards the road train. "Where's the driver of this rig?" he said in a voice like gravel.

No one answered.

The rider slowly folded the side stand down with his worn, black cowboy boots and lent the motorcycle over. With unnatural feline grace, the man lifted his right leg and pivoted on his left, dismounting the motorcycle before anyone could react. He was a big man: six feet five at least, 280 pounds of muscle.

He pointed at the watching men. "You tell him Nordieboy wants a reckoning."

Estimated release date: May 2053.

That's just beautiful, Nathan. Funny as hell. Love it. :lol3
    :freaky
  8. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC

:rofl....................................I was thinking the book would be more along the lines of "The Joys of Mechanical Engineers and their Secret Societies in the Modern World"..................or possibly............ "What New Zealand Culture can learn from an Enhanced French Society"......but yours is good too!:D
  9. theKite

theKite Ulyssean

Oddometer:
    Hi Nathan. You had a great introduction to the GAFA (great australian.....). A flooded road is a good warning signal of much worse trouble ahead, as you discovered.
    I am from NZ, ex resident of Chch, and also marvelled at the FLATNESS of the "Outback". The road may have only a few inches over it, but underneath is pure mud.
    I recently rode my HD Sportster through Central Qld and the NT, and had flood water halfway up my air filter, but the bike kept going.
    It is necessary, too, to "prewade" the crossing and find the deepest - yes, the deepest part if there have been road trains passing.
    Because if your front wheel slips from "deep" to the "DEEPEST" rut, you can bet that the rear wheel slip into the next rut over. And over you go.
    My BMW years ago tried to drown me by pivoting on it's left rocker cover and capsizing on top over me.
    But life is good, and the beer is cold. In "the bush". Enjoy.
    Rob
  10. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    It's all good, mate. I knew this would happen, and Elena does look spiffy now. Is that a different seat? I knew I should have kept that seat!

I just want you to be cool, Nordie. Why won't you be cool for me? Go on, have a wee suck on a fag.

Thanks mate! I'm glad one of YFFs has good taste.
  11. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    I've been sorta following Kev and Karen on Facebook. I did see the crash. Would have been a Herculean effort for Kev to keep that bike up with a locked rear wheel. Did they mention why the wheel locked up?

My book is genre fiction of the worst sort. It's also really hard to tell if the book is looking good because I'm too close to the story to have any perspective. I do like the characters though. They're all variations on NordieBoy. My favourite character is Milf-Nordie. :nod

It's NordieBoy fan fiction, of course.

Um, cool.
  12. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep its a drz400 seat with extra padding
  13. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    Send the other one to NZ? I got DR here with the stock seat. :rofl
  14. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok but you'll have to send yours over here so I can put it on the other dr
  15. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    It's gotta be good for you...
    [​IMG]
  16. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    If you're using it, don't worry about it. My DR isn't even licenced at the moment.

That's right 'ard, that is. :lol3
  17. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Should have seen it when I lit it.

Don't need to shave for a while now :huh
  18. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    :jack Yer killin' us here. Tears of laughter at that photo, Nordie. :jack
  19. theKite

theKite Ulyssean

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but adventure is there, even in the tourist traps, if you stop sneering long enough to roll up your trousers and step into the water, in any body of water in Arhem Land, where NO body of water is guaranteed crocodile free.
    Only freshies in this billabong? You'll be the first to know, if there is a saltie in there.
    They have been known to even take Frenchies!
    Shame that you did not climb Uluru. You might have seen patches where there lichen does not grow. That's because game tourists overestimate their fitness and vomit on the way up. Turns out that stomach acids kill the lichen.
    But some tourists persist, even knowing that heat stress and even heart attacks are common on the Rock.
    Those that do may be rewarded by small pools of water caused by the scant rainfall, in which the keen photographer may see small fish and crustaceans, in their ephemeral lifespans. Here today, gone tomorrow!
    Or photograph the distant Olgas, between the gnarled boughs of an ancient eucalypt, with cirrocumulus white against a hard blue sky.
    Rob
  20. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    Well, you sold me. I'm heading to Uluru to see the vomit stains. :lol3