Nathan and Elena's Aussie Ride-About

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nathan, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past

Yeah, fuck you too :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lovin' your RR, very entertaining even with personal injuries and expensive cab fares.... I got a 400 km hitchhike down to Perth for free because the truckdriver needed some weight on the bed for comfort :evil
    Btw, Michelin T63's is my tire of choice :thumb

Hope you get well soon and that the insurance pays up :deal
  2. Sake

Sake n00b

Oddometer:
    Dangit Counting Coup...not coux. my bad.
    Campbell has assured everyone that you will return no matter what btw.
    Anyway, don't let me derail your thread. Seriously dude, write a book....with pictures.
  3. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing broken is great news.
    For what it's worth, I took a pretty heavy fall on my shoulder a few months ago. Doctors said no it's not broken, bugger off & harden up somewhere else. I avoided painkillers cos I hate pills, the shoulder was uncomfortable but mostly bearable except for the occasions where I moved the wrong way & some bastard rammed a flat blade screw driver into my shoulder & gave it a good twist. Breathtakingly eyewateringly painful:cry :cry . Finally referred to an orthopaedic surgeon who put me on Voltaren, 150 / day 2 x 25mg pills three times a day to see if inflammation of damaged tendons would susbside, if not then surgery.
    The good news it has pretty much worked, shoulder not 100 % but that screw driver is back in the toolbox.

When the body is better give Nordie a clout from me:lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Probably should not prescribe over the net, go see a pharmacist for advice
  4. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Maaaate. Should'a got a DR.
    We just open the sump bung to change the oil.
  5. BirdE

BirdE n00b

Oddometer:
    Stink one on the crash, but glad to hear you're not badly hurt! Hope they can fix Elena up so you can keep entertaining me at work... oh, and so you can keep riding too :p
  6. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    See, this is what I'm talking about. You got some dirt on your rear tyre and had to pull the entire bike to bits. I've never seen so many parts. Are you sure they're all from your bike. What do they do? :lol3

T63s don't exist out here. D606 rears and MT21 fronts are everywhere though.

Thanks, matey.
  7. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    I probably will return, but not until I get settled somewhere for a bit. I only have a little netbook now, and it can barely run Chrome, let alone any games.

I'm supposed to fix her? Interesting...
  8. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    18/11/2010 to 20/11/2010, Faffing Around

I took Elena to Desert Edge Motorcycles in the morning. They pulled her seat and sidepanels off, then um'ed and ah'ed, then stuck them back on and told me there was nothing they could do. I asked them to put some preload in the rear shock because it had magically lost some. I guess the bolt-to-bolt distance for the shock has changed. The guy tried to tell me the preload was already wound right up and that I needed a new spring. I sat still for moment, summoning my inner KLR650 owner, then, like Yoda commanding the force, I told him to "Put some more preload in it, damnit." I was surprised that it worked, so I tried pushing my luck, "You will do this work for free," I said, waving my hand airily.

He rushed off to do as I bid, then came back momentarily. "Your bike is ready, sire, and it won't cost anything."

"Cool beans!" I said, forgetting my Jedi training in my excitement. I tried to recover some dignity by giving him some additional work. "Now make a BMW fall to bits."

He looked confused and agitated, then said, "But they fall to bits by themselves." I quickly left before I said anything else stupid.

Still, top blokes at Desert Edge Motorcycles. Go see them if you have a motorcycle problem in Alice Springs.

One of the casualties of Elena's ill-fated gymnastics routine was my trusty IBM T43 laptop, which is now permanently doing a banana impression.

[​IMG]

So I rode around town searching for a replacement. I found this little Samsung cutie at Harvey Norman. It's about 1/3 the weight and has a battery that actually works! The hard drive in the T43 was miraculously still working, so I was able to transfer all my old data to my new netbook.

[​IMG]

After that, it was a matter of faffing about at the caravan park for a few days while I waited for body parts to start hurting less.
  9. AZ_ADV_RIDER

AZ_ADV_RIDER Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer:
    Great RR Nathan! :thumb Not sure why you're so down on us Beemer riders but hopefully you'll get over it.
  10. guu

guu n00b

Oddometer:
    Nathan, I’m glad to hear your OK but what happened to the GPS bracket? Please tell me it’s alright or at least repairable.:cry

Gav
  11. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Had I not tried to ride from Gibb River Road/Derby (just north of Broome) to Perth with a hole in the radiator it might've faired better :lol3

The downside to having a low centre of gravity with the tank under the seat is all the shit that has to come off to replace the headgasket :cry

You mean in Alice or Oz in general ? I bought T63s in Townsville QLD, Broome WA and Adelaide SA :dunno Think the importer is in Adelaide, shouldn't be too hard to find.

Fair dinkum, no worries :thumb
  12. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  13. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    I love BMW riders; I just don't like BMWs. :rofl

Don't take anything I say seriously. :freaky

That reminds me, I've just completed my computer simulation of BMWs and DRs in the Outback. Now, before I show you the results, a word of warning: these a very preliminary results, but I think they're accurate.

DR: :ricky
    BMW: :muutt
  14. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    The bits we made are fine. The plastic RAMM mount bit disintegrated into a million pieces. I suppose I'll have to buy a new one, which kinda defeats that whole point of us making that bracket in the first place. :lol3

Now that you're an unemployed bum like me, have you finished your car yet?
  15. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    I just haven't seen any in stock in the bike shops I've been to. I would like to try some though.
  16. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    21/11/2010, Marla

I had dream, a dream to ride the Oodnadatta Track. Crashing was but a minor setback, and today was the day I got my dream back on track. I left the warm bosom of the caravan park in Alice Springs and set off on the Stuart Highway.

About 50km down the road, I stopped at a rest area. There were two Harleys parked up, and a couple of guys in jeans and leather vests talking. Once upon a time they would have been bad-ass mofos, but the Harley brand has been usurped by the aging baby boomer generation, so I wasn't scared in the slightest. I chatted with the older guy and his younger companion for a while. The old chap explained a mystery to me: why so many people in Alice ride Harleys. I had assumed it was because they we all completely daft, but there is actually some logic behind it.

Sport bikes are pointless because all the roads are straight, so if you want to ride on the road in Alice, then a nice cruiser or tourer is the way to go. Since the only real options for riding are north or south on the Stuart Highway, the riding is less about the road and more about the machine. I can see the appeal of cruising down the highway on a Harley, though I think I'll stick to dirt roads for now.

This monstrous wasp faceplanted into my helmet.

[​IMG]

In Kulgera, I met a guy a who must have been a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic. He told me about a big crash he had while riding pillion on his mate's bike. His buddy slammed on the brakes to avoid some wildlife, launching this guy into the air. He landed on one knee with his foot out and slid down the road like he was a contestant in Dancing with the Stars. Half his knee cap was ground away, and he had to spent 9 months in hospital. I gave him an ATGATT sermon, which he reluctantly agreed might be a good idea. :pope

I slogged down to Marla, battling a headwind and nasty heat for most of the day. The campground at Marla was only $7.50, which included the use of the swimming pool and actual grass to pitch my tent on! So Marla is currently winning the best campground/caravan park in Australia competition.

[​IMG]

It's been a while since I did a food shot, so here you go. Cold stew in a can. Yep, I'm living the high life here. :nod

[​IMG]

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/229448/embed" height="900px" width="1200px" frameborder="0"></iframe>
  17. Mileater

Mileater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, those T34s are a fairly tough unit and are solidly built inside but I think you may have gone slightly past the test limits on that one :lol3 I am not, however, surprised to hear that the Hard Drive survived as they, too are tough items. :deal:clap:clap

Glad to hear that you and Elena have survived the wee "off" and are back on the road. Just take care out there!!

Looking forward to your further (mis)adventures and reports.

Cheers :freaky
    Allan
  18. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Allan. The T43 was a great laptop and back rest. It was also old and crappy, so I didn't care that it was getting banged up. Okay, time for another update.
  19. DmsFab

DmsFab Banned

Oddometer:
    Reading ride reports like this make me want to get over to Oz sooner then I plan!!! I have a plan very similar to yours........start off going this way and then that way.......and then whatever way looks good when I get there!! I love not having a plan when it comes to riding.

If you're still on the road by about April, I will look you up!

Great report!!!
  20. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    22/11/2010, William Creek on the Oodnadatta Track

The Oodnadatta Track was open, though what's this 4WD bit on the sign? Turns out it was nothing really. The road was well graded with just the odd short sandy or boggy patch.

[​IMG]

Here's what the scenery looked like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My arm was hurting a bit, so I popped some pills. Panadiene Forte is like floaty suspension for my brain. :tb

I arrived at Oodnadatta and marveled at the pink roadhouse. They have a canoe for hire outside. It must be a joke, surely. :dunno

[​IMG]

The girl on duty inside the roadhouse was from Alaska, and she had read an 800 page book last week in addition to working 55 hours and sleeping. She gave me pamphlet that explained 4WD tyre pressures for the noobies. I don't have a 4WD, but I read it while I waited for my Oodnaburger.

[​IMG]

Part of the Oodnadatta track follows the old Ghan railway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few minutes before arriving at the bridge, something hand flown inside my jacket, under my shirt and stung me repeatedly in the stomach. A couple of hours later, the sting marks had all but disappeared, then the next morning they had swollen up again and were itchy. Weird.

[​IMG]

Did a BMW fall on this? Can BMWs get off the ground? I spent a few minutes imagining NordieBoy had been in the car when the BMW landed on it. :lurk

[​IMG]

William Creek was absurdly hot and the flys were fucking annoying. :becca Gotta say, I'm not really in a hurry to go back there.

[​IMG]

400km of the Oodnadatta done; only 200km to go!

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/229450/embed" height="900px" width="1200px" frameborder="0"></iframe>