Nathan and Elena's Aussie Ride-About

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nathan, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    I should be heading towards Cape York around that time, mate. Definitely yell at me when you're here so we can catch up somewhere.
  2. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah -what he said!

:hide
  3. Shaggie

Oddometer:

good work - you outta-work bum!
  4. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    Hey! It's hard to make a tummy shot look good. :lol3
  5. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    always here for ya Nath!

actually i'm HERE at work....dammit!

how's the aches amigo?
  6. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    But whatever do you mean :dunno oh, you I see.....and that's rich comming from you btw.... :lol3

[​IMG]

I just called ahead to a bikeshop in the town I was going to and ordered them so they were there when I arrived.

7. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you need tips for a route between Melbourne and Canberra and I'll see if I can find my old maps. I drew my entire route on local maps aswell as an Oz map so I wouldn't forget :thumb

Also, 'cept for the Vic alps my favorite bit was the Savannah way crossing the top east to west.

[​IMG]
  8. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    Slowly going away. I think my right leg went in a crazy direction when my face mashed into the ground. It's taking a while to come right.

:lol3 Elena blames me for the crash. I blame her crappy rear suspension.

That would require me to know where I'm going!

Blimey, that's organised. Nerd alert! I was just going to randomly pick roads to ride down. :rofl
  9. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    23/11/2010, Leigh Creek

I was in a right tizzy when I left William Creek. Packing up had been a bitch, and the stupid flys were still trying to crawl in my mouth, ears, nose, eyes, etc. :kboom

Luckily, the obscene heat from the last two days had finally sodded off, so I got to enjoy a cool breeze for the morning's ride, and my grump soon dissipated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lake Eyre was pretty sweet. It's 9500 square kilometres and 12 metres below sea level.

[​IMG]

I wanted to do a salt flats speed run, but it didn't work so well. Sorry, Australians, I ruined your lake.

[​IMG]

This little guy was watching my aborted land speed record. He didn't seem very nervy, just curious.

[​IMG]

Marree marks the end of the Oodnadatta Track. I'd done it, dream complete. Of course, the Oodnadatta is super easy, but I like it when things are easy. :1drink

[​IMG]

This was on display at Marree. Impressive. :eek1

[​IMG]

As well as this awesome monument to the "Cameleers" of Marree. I only took a photo of it because I like the word "Cameleers." They sound like super heroes with camel-based powers. :rofl

[​IMG]

In Leigh Creek, I met this guy. He's riding around on a rented DR for a few weeks. He said he had a big BMW back in Germany, but he really liked the DR. I clutched what he said to my skinny little nerd chest, as if it was vindication of everything I've been babbling about in this ride report. :lol3 We shared route info, and I tried to convince him to him to get a knobbly front tyre before the Plenty Highway, but he wasn't that keen on spending the money while the Deathwing was still good. He also thought Elena looked very impressive. And you know what, I agree! What a striking figure, glorious and proud, wearing her battle scars like a Viking warrior from the days of yore. :raabia

[​IMG]

I decided to finish early, so I paid $8 for the caravan park in Leigh Creek. To my pleasant surprise, there was a kitchen/TV room with air conditioning. I spent the entire afternoon in there feeling nice and chilly. A sign on the wall said "Strictly camping allowed in the kitchen." My personal philosophy is, whenever signs can't be backed up by any actual law or higher power, people add words like "strictly" to impart a false sense of authority. There was only two other people staying at the caravan park and they weren't using the kitchen. The temptation not having to pitch a tent was too much for me, so I slept on the couch.

[​IMG]

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/229452/embed" height="900px" width="1200px" frameborder="0"></iframe>
  10. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    I dunno.

You could have drawn a cute kitty or a flower on it first.
  11. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    apparently, this is on the other side of his bbbbbelly.......

[​IMG]
  12. DmsFab

DmsFab Banned

Oddometer:

Will do! I am trying to get down that way asap!! Paper work takes fooorrrrreeeeevvvvvvvver!!!
  13. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    You're just gonna end up riding in circles if you don't have a general idea of where you're going..... :norton

Past tense. After a days ride I'd mark the route on the map. It's the manual version of GPS tracks :evil We did much the same as you, decided on the tracks and roads to take as we came upon them. I recommend buying the Yamaha offroad maps for Victoria (and maybe they have them for NSW aswell ?)

Think maybe they're the Rooftop's ones

Melbourne Map Centre

14. raybies

raybies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally awesome RR, thank you very much :)

Quick question regarding the mishap... do you think if Elena was heavier (read fat like a GS/XT1200/Varadero) she might have been more composed or was do you think better suspension would have help?

I'm just trying to figure out if heavier would have been better.

Is there any gear you wished you had?

Thanks again and keep'em coming.
  15. TonsOfFun

TonsOfFun Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Primative?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lybU_HBTVkM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lybU_HBTVkM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  16. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    A big bike would have still have cartwheeled at that speed. I think the difference would be the amount of destruction. Imagine a fully loaded GS with panniers flipping and landing on its subframe. The wreckage would look like something from an airliner crash. :lol3

I think better suspension would have helped. The high speeds, long distances, and lack of road signs for obstacles means that you will hit nasty stuff at speed quite often. The only way to deal with it is good suspension.

As for gear, a pressure suit would have probably reduced the damage done to my arm. I've been considering getting one for a while, but the difficulty in taking it off when I stop has been the deciding factor against it. In a cooler climate, I would definitely wear a pressure suit. Otherwise, the main thing I want is a map holder. Some day I'll design a dakar style fairing and instrument panel for the DR, so I can have my map holder.
  17. raybies

raybies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply... has there been any situation where a bigger bike would have been nicer/better?

... what about a GPS + Cable ties? :evil
  18. WarLlama

WarLlama belligerent cameloid

Oddometer:
    Were you seated or up on the pegs? :ear

Great ride report BTW, you have a nice sense of silliness. :clap
  19. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    On the bitumen a bigger bike will always be nicer. Having said that, I don't feel the added comfort on the easy stuff is worth the increased difficulty on dirt roads.
  20. Nathan

Nathan Why I laugh?

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure I was standing.