National Forest Rides from SLAP (MO), AR, East Rdvs (NC/TN), and OH

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, May 20, 2008.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a riding tour of some National Forests.

For the benefit of anyone else that might want to ride some of these areas, I'll post some pictures, maps, and GPS tracks.

Rides I will cover:

1. A dual sport route that runs through some of the Mark Twain National Forest in southern Missouri that we rode during SLAP. (will post a GPS track)

2. A road ride from southern Missouri that takes in some excellent road riding in northern Arkansas. (will post a GPS route)

3. Two dual sport rides in the Ozark National Forest. (will post GPS tracks)

4. A trail ride on the Brock Creek Trail in the Ozark National Forest.

5. The dual sport ride ktmmike hosted at the Eastern Rendezvous in the Pisgah National Forest in NC and TN. (GPS tracks pending ktmmike's OK)

6. The dual sport ride Yanni23 hosted at the Eastern Rendezvous in the Pisgah National Forest in NC and TN. (will not be posting tracks/maps)

7. Four OHV trail rides in the Wayne National Forest in Ohio (Monday Creek, Long Ridge Motorcycle, Pine Creek, and Hanging Rock).

Some preview pictures . . .

Big Dog and I riding in Missouri.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Road ride MO-AR.
    [​IMG]

benp1981 and I ride the Ozarks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brock Creek OHV Trail. (Ozark NF)
    [​IMG]

ktmmike's dual sport ride at the Eastern Rendezvous.
    [​IMG]

Yanni23's dual sport ride at the Eastern Rendezvous.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

OHV trails in the Wayne National Forest.
    [​IMG]
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bryan for posting this up-----------when me and you rode together at the slap rally I deleted my tracklog-------so I'll be glad to retrieve them when you post them.

You sure do a lot of work sharing all your rides----and I know many people appreciate it.

El (long pause) Perro Grande
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesn't get much better than riding with Mark :thumb Thanks for the report and pics.
  4. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
    Lookin' forward to your report Bryan ...
  5. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    You have put some very challenging yet scenic miles on over the last month or so. Thanks for sharing. :thumb

Man, I can't wait to retire! :lol3
  6. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    WOW! you sure covered some ground! It was great hanging out with you at SLAP, I had no idea you were on such a big trip.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    When I rolled into SLAP, which was being held at Dawt Mill in Southern Missouri, I had no idea what plans there were for rides in the local area. I had hung my DRZ on the back of the CannonVan so I was looking forward to some sporty forest riding at the very least.

Big Dog showed up on his KLR and also had no plan. We had talked about making some rides together in the past but it hadn't worked out. Now we were here and of like mind so we sat down together at the picnic table with a forest map and ginned up a route to ride. Big Dog knew of some mills in the area and of a scenic by-way called the Glade Top Trail. The rest we came up with as a product of a map recon. Within a few minutes I had it cut as a trackline and loaded into our GPS units. Even though much of the route was built of off a map, it turned out to be an excellent ride with a great mix of twisty pavement and gravel forest roads. I would ride it again for sure.

Orienting overview. SE of Springfield, MO near the AR border.
    [​IMG]

A closer overall view. The track runs about 160+ miles.
    [​IMG]

We started at the Dawt Mill Campground in the lower right corner. The yellow trackline is the track I will post for others to use. I left the purple (our actual track) in the background to show how we got detoured from time to time by turkey hunting, floods, and fences.
    [​IMG]

The middle section.
    [​IMG]

The west section. Gas available in Taneyville.
    [​IMG]

One of these is handy to have.
    [​IMG]

Once I get things tuned up, I'll post the link here for the track in GPS Central.

Edit: Here are the Missouri - Arkansas GPX files. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344281
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Getting ready to move out on the ride.
    [​IMG]

The gravel roads had good surfaces and were fun to ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are quite a few old grist mills in this area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of these around.
    [​IMG]

This mill (Hammond) is for sale. A fixer-upper I guess.
    [​IMG]

The mill engine was nearby.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KLR and DRZ
    [​IMG]
  9. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    A future adventure rider we met along the way.
    [​IMG]

We got onto this scenic byway. Essentially it is a forest road that runs along a series of ridge lines occasionally giving you some spectacular views.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a nice picnic area along the way that has this marker. We weren't sure where we would stand with these guys so we didn't hang around long. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We really got lucky with the weather. There were some severe storms in the area and it seemed like we never got hit. We had a little rain at this gas stop in Taneyville. (In fact, there was a lot of severe weather in this region of the country. I think somewhere around 21 people were killed around that time.)
    [​IMG]

We circled back onto another portion of the Glade Top.
    [​IMG]

We got turned around a few times by some pretty substantial flooding in the region.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading for higher ground.
    [​IMG]

Mark expressing his satisfaction with the ride!
    [​IMG]

Mark will probably have some pix or comments to add to this portion of the report so I'll hold off on heading for Arkansas until he gets a chance to comment.
  11. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Bryan-----I'm out of town right now-----but I'll get to it as soon as I can--------it was really great riding with you---I'll try to put up some more video too------I have a lot following you.
  12. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    :lurk

This has to be good.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Big Dog will be along to post more about the Mark Twain National Forest ride in a bit. For now, I'll cover a scenic and entertaining road route that takes in some notable motorcycle roads.

Here is an overview shot of the route. The part that is highlighted is about 183 miles. It might be a good section to integrate into a trip through the region. It would be easy to jump between I-44 and I-40 using this route as an entertaining side trip enroute to another destination. (I'll also post this in GPS Central.) The route is paved throughout.
    [​IMG]

Here is where you join the route - near the MO-AR state line. The ferry ride is on this portion.
    [​IMG]

Eventually you get onto "Scenic 7".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scenic 7 eventally gets you to 123 - a great ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are plenty of great roads to ride in this region. This is simply one option. Looking at a map shows other possibilities. I'm sure that others from the area will offer a couple of ideas as well.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    This is the ferry on 125.
    [​IMG]

It is pretty basic - but effective.
    [​IMG]

I read in the paper that the water level in the reservoir was up about 40 feet from normal. Seemed incredible, but I guess it makes sense. The docks had been moved.
    [​IMG]

If those a treetops, I guess it could easily be 40'.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't take any road pictures in the twisties. These roads are pretty well known anyway I guess.
    [​IMG]

Make it a point to stop at the Oark General Store. This is a destination by itself for some riders.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next installment will cover a couple of dual sport routes riding in the Ozark National Forest.
  15. hollywood_72

hollywood_72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I'm heading down to Hollister, MO (on the Harley) in June, staying at Table Rock Lake. I have a route planed out to ride Hwy 125 from Hollister, Mo to Sparta, Mo down Hwy 125 to the ferry across the ferry to Yellville, Ar and back up to Hollister. I see you rode the ferry how much of Hwy 125 did you ride? How were the roads, and scenery? I also have a route planed to ride Route 7 from Hollister, Mo to Harrison, Ar to Jasper, Ar then head west on 74 to 21 south to 16 east back to 7 north and back to Hollister. I also see you rode Route 7 how much of that did you ride and how were the roads and scenery down that way? Where is the Oark General Store located (Disregard this question, I found it)?
    Thanks,<o:p></o:p>
    Kennedy<o:p></o:p>

16. Blinkerfluid

Blinkerfluid Long timer

Oddometer:
    My family and I used to go camping a couple times a year at the 125 campground.. They still go but I haven't been able to make it for a few years.. I miss the area, its very beautiful... Did you guys see the big sun-dial made from a giant boat anchor? I remember playing on it when I was little.. It would have been near the end of the peninsula to the right of the words "detail map" in the pic below.. If the lake was really up 40' it may have been underwater though.

[​IMG]
  17. Butcho

Butcho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You see so many places to ride on this site. It is a wealth of information. I need to get out and ride some more.....
  18. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the track logs. :deal :lurk
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    What I covered is on the maps in the thread.

I would consider just rolling this entire route into your ride. If you do, you will cover much of the highlights of the roads of the region. There are more roads and other options, but this one will serve you well. :D
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Didn't see it . . . but I didn't have my scuba gear along either. :lol3

You are so right about it being a scenic area.