National park pass?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by jbean114, May 5, 2017.

1. jbean114

jbean114 4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul

Oddometer:
    The wife and I are planning on visiting the following parks in one trip to southern Utah with two motorcycles. Is there a pass we should buy, or should we stick with separate entrance fees for each park?
    Zion, Bryce, Natural Bridges, Gooseneck, Monument Valley
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    Each of you should just buy a pass. I don't know exactly how much each park is but I think Zion is $30 by itself. May as well get the pass that you can use for a year.

It's called the annual pass, it's $80. You can buy it at the park or online.
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you would be charged $12 per person at Zion coming in on motos (or on foot).

I would call the office, or just wait until you go to the first gate, at the park you'll start with and ask if you can use just one annual pass.

See, the annual passes have two signature lines on them - on ours it's my wife and me so either of us can use it alone, but it can theoretically be any two people (and they do ask for ID) - and I don't see why you couldn't use one pass for two of you on two bikes if you each had your name on it.

There's no benefit to buying it early/online, so why not wait until you need it (any National Park gate has them)?

Edit to say I agree and think you should buy the annual even if you each need one. We've been to twenty some national parks in the past six months and our annual pass was "paid for" in just the first five so.

Edit further to say if you're "old" or military they are discounted to almost nothing!
    Nixels likes this.
  4. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    Two motorcycles can enter with one pass if you both sign it.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    You want what is called the "Interagency Pass":

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r6/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=fsbdev2_027020

There is a big difference between the different agencies that the Interagency Pass works with including; the US Forest Service, US Parks Service, US National Monuments, and BLM lands. The pass will get a reduced entrance fee in some places and in others the pass is all you need. Camping fees are commonly separate from the park entrance fees. The pass is only good on Federal Lands, not with State Parks or State Lands.

Ask for the annual "Sticker" that is available with the card at no additional charge. The sticker allows you to put it on you windshield so you don't have to hang your card like you are supposed to do with a car. I had to go to the Headquarters of the Angeles National Forest to get the sticker as the local district offices didn't have them. I have the Senior Pass which is a lifetime pass, but I have to get the annual sticker every year for free.
  6. mnnden

mnnden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just a note for anyone interested, a senior pass can be purchased for $10.00 that will allow not just you but everyone in your vehicle admittance to the Federal parks, it is my understanding that the price of this pass is going to increase to the amount of $80.00 sometime this year so if you are a senior I would consider getting a pass before the increase. this has to be the best bargain on earth
    rattlecan likes this.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Each motorcycle needs its own pass. You can't enter two bikes on one pass, well that's the requirements.....it's been slow coming but every place we have been lately have been enforcing a pass for each vehicle. It's not like you and the Mrs can drive two cars in on one pass.
  8. jbean114

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the good intel. From what I gathered it sounds like the annual pass is the way to go. I looked up all the parks and if they charged us per motorcycle, the amounts would come to:

Zion: $50
    Bryce: $50
    Natural Bridges: $10
    Gooseneck: $10
    Monument Valley: $40

This adds up to the annual pass for $80 each. But, we certainly will wait to to purchase at our first stop (Zion) and talk with the ranger about our options.

9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    You can help support the local National Park (Saguaro) by buying your annual pass there and it'll be a hell of a lot easier than doing it while dealing with the crowds at Zion.
    mb300 likes this.
  10. jbean114

Oddometer:
    Good call!

11. widebmw

widebmw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gooseneck is a Utah state park and Monument Valley is on a reservation. They are not covered by a National Parks pass.
    sieg likes this.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Update...just found this...

"What about motorcycle drivers who purchase an Annual Pass?"
    • An Annual Pass permits entrance for two motorcycles IF the two people who sign the pass arrive at the same time on two motorcycles, regardless of the number of people on each motorcycle.
    Dont know how current it is.....lately even as a married couple on two motorcycles we have each been required to show a pass.

Moot point for us as we are over 62 and each have a lifetime pass no more to pay.
  13. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it is still on their web site so, yes, two people on two motorcycles are covered by one Annual Pass, IF, they both sign it.

Also
    Who is admitted with an Annual Pass?
    Each Annual Pass admits pass owner/s and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per-vehicle fee areas; and pass owner + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, where per-person fees are charged. (Children under 16 are always admitted free).

Note that active duty military and their dependents can get passes for free.
  14. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I purchase an annual pass each Summer, and my wife and I both sign it. We are required to show the pass and our driver's licenses at each park or monument that we enter. It's worked like this for us for the last 10 years or so.
  15. jbean114

Oddometer:
    Just bought the pass today locally and the ranger confirmed that 1 pass will work for 2 motorcyclists on separate bikes. As long as it is the two people who signed the back. They will also issue two stickers for one pass to put on the windshield in places that charge for parking.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  16. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    heard the price is going up. is it?
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Senior pass is now $80 for lifetime. Every place we went this season they had a hard on about each bike rider having their own pass. We went through around forty gates this year and not one had a motorcycle sticker to give us!
  18. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    After visiting many parks last year, we finally got a parks parking sticker for the bike at Bandolier in New Mexico...
  19. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get the stickers at the Angeles National Forest Headquarters in Arcada, its where I get mine.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/7...c25b2381a2b23f!8m2!3d34.147526!4d-118.0344397
  20. GNPskier

GNPskier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    el Pete likes this.