National park pass?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by jbean114, May 5, 2017.

1. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its funny that I stumbled across this thread. I have been kicking myself for not getting the Lifetime Pass? when it was offered for $10 a few years ago, and lately I have been finding myself at a bunch of local State Parks... Iam thinking the $80 Pass is the way to go for me . Thanks
  3. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ The pass is only for Federal lands not State Parks .
    Chillis, WRC51, AlH and 1 other person like this.
  4. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    ANNUAL pass will get TWO motorcycles in if both riders have signed the pass, because the pass belongs to both people. Any passengers on those two motorcycles can enter too.

SENIOR pass will not get TWO motorcycles in, because the pass only belongs to one person. A passenger on that one motorcycle can enter too.
    WRC51, NSFW, Bigger Al and 1 other person like this.
  5. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its funny that I stumbled across this thread. I have been kicking myself for not getting the Lifetime Pass? when it was offered for $10 a few years ago, and lately I have been finding myself at a bunch of local State Parks... Iam thinking the $80 Pass is the way to go for me . Thanks

Yes it will save you in the end, all federal campgrounds are 1/2 price, but if you are a senior Ca. state parks will knock off 1 or 2 dollars
    WRC51 likes this.
  6. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought two of the passes when they were $10.00 each. On our Alaska trip last year the first campground the three of us stayed at was $25.00. The pass cut that in half to $12.50 and i made my money back in one transaction.
    WRC51 and 9Realms like this.
  7. Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas Fast not Furious

Oddometer:
    I think the pass is a good value (if you use it 3 times). Last year we did a 4,272 mile road trip and we used the pass on 7 parks on that trip alone.
    WRC51 and Bigger Al like this.
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Odd rules. I wonder if co-owners of an annual pass could take two cars in (with passengers) instead of two motorcycles (with passengers)? Co-owned card right?
  9. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't see why not.
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because it is a government bureaucracy and they don't need no steeek'n reasons, nor do they question policy, they just enforce it.
    sieg likes this.
  11. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would add another perspective. As a motorcyclist, different National Parks seem to have different policies. I have an annual pass that I bought in July of 2018 for the parks along the way to the BMW national rally. This year the rally was in June, so I effectively used the one pass for two riding seasons. It was by far the best investment I made. The actual practical aspects of having a pass to show the gate rangers is far easier than digging for a wallet in your riding gear (just like how much we hate the toll roads for the same reason). The difference between the parks is that some rangers will also require you to show your driver's license that matches the name on the annual pass, although I find that most gate rangers just wave me by if I have my annual pass in hand. Next year the rally is in Great Falls, MT, so I will be taking my wife who will be on her own bike. Together, as @TUCKERS correctly explained, we will be able to enter on the same annual pass, provided we both have signed it.
    sieg likes this.
  12. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went through Lassen National Park last Saturday, just showed my pass. I get a pass every year before vacation, always pays for itself. Have had my ID checked against the pass at a couple of parks, more often than not it's just "show the pass"