NATO approved tire tools

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by cyclecat, Nov 25, 2002.

1. cyclecat

cyclecat half post a day wonder

Oddometer:
    Anyone try these guys tools?
    http://www.extremeoutback.com/Tire_repair.htm

The tire spoons look sturdy, and the bead breaker is fairly compact. You can get all the tools and a CO2 inflator with cartriges for a bit over $100. Might be a good deal. They claim to be suppliers to NATO forces.

2. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    If the tire is off the bead, I wouldn't have much confidence in a CO2 inflater. I assume this is for holes too large to plug?
  3. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    Yes, I had the MC bead breaker/tire iron setup and was unsuccessful at making it work on my GS. The problem is that the bead will pop off in one spot on one side but not enough to loosen the tire (this is on a Tourance) around. It is also tedious to use, requiring 30-40 turns of a nylock nut to draw the breaker arms together, and if tightened down too much, the arms will mar the rim edges. To add insult, inflating a newly-mounted 150/70x17 tire with CO2 cartridges is an exercise in futility: about 15 of `em might get the bead seated and 20psi in. The tire irons are unsuitable for working on these large-section radial tires unless you're a) strong as Jack The Bear and b) don't care about the marring of your rims. Bottom line is that the setup over-promises and under-delivers for use on large radials such as mounted to the GS. It might work satisfactorily on the tires on a KLR or KTM or other dirt bike.....

I can, however, give my *strongest* recommendation to George & Tamara Carousos, owners of ExtremeOutback: I've bought several items from them, they're good people and fair businessmen with generally good products, and I hope nothing I've said about the bead breaker in any way discourages you all from doing business with them.

mully
  4. zero-zero

zero-zero Horny Horned One

Oddometer:
    Brian,

You had your chance at the vendor forum, and everyone that cared about it has read your thread there. From now on, you're supposed to enjoy the forums like any other user and not insert references to your product in every post you make. :nono Thanks.

Of course, I'm no one to tell you this, but trust me, better me than some others... right doods?:):
  5. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Flying Scotsman

Oddometer:
    My apologies if I violated protocol.

It seemed like a pertinent area of address for our product on the topic of discussion - no spam intended.

All the best.