Nav IV Problem

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by pjgoeman, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:10 AM.

1. pjgoeman

pjgoeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm having an intermittent issue with a Nav IV installed on a 2005 1200GS. When starting the bike, sometimes the Nav doesn't finish it's startup routine. Normally when I start the bike the nav starts with a dim gray tone "Motorado IV" screen then goes to a bright "Motorad IV" screen with a note that it is loading maps then it goes to a menu screen and operates normally.

The problem is that sometimes it stays stuck on that dim first screen. If I hold the start button down for about 20 seconds the screen will go dark and then the Nav restarts - sometimes successfully and sometimes to stop again at the first dim screen. Sometimes I have to go through this attempted restart several times before the Nav operates normally.

The Nav is plugged into an accessory socket on the factory wiring harness so no wierd wiring. I have updated the Nav to the latest software update on Garmin's website. It probably has the original battery but it does hold a charge and it's always plugged in anyway.

Any ideas. Thanks.
  2. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    I had a similar problem on a Zumo 550. Never found any solution other than restarting until it kicked to life, sorry to say.
  3. Beecher Snipes

Beecher Snipes Fool

Oddometer:
    Why not treat the old girl to a new battery even though it is hard wired. I bet there will be a difference. On the other hand Nav5's are cheap.
  4. pjgoeman

pjgoeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. I may try a new battery - $20 for a Chinese knockoff or $40+ for a Garmin branded battery. Not much else to do, it's not like you can take it apart and do anything with it.
  5. paulhdick

paulhdick Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also, check how much free memory you have on it. If you have “tracking” on it can use up a lot of memory over the years. This made a difference on startup of mine. Clear the tracking data if you are close to full.
  6. simmo1

simmo1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try removing it from the bike, take out and disconnect the on board battery, have a drink of something or just wait several minutes, and then reassemble. Turn on and just leave it stationary until it finds itself and settles. What you describe happens every now and again to my Nav V and this process seems to get it working again. Oh and also do the software update process say every 3 months or so.