Nav VI and iPhone control

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Event Horizon, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Event Horizon

Event Horizon Jack of all trades, master of none!!

Oddometer:
    So I got a Nav VI for my 2017 GSA and I've hooked up my iPhone to it via Bluetooth. What I can't seem to do or find and answer anywhere is can you control your iPhone music with the wonder wheel or the Nav itself if you are listening through plain old headphones? All I want to be able to do is pause, next track or volume with my phone in my pocket. Will it only work with A2DP headphones?? Thinking it might not be an option.
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are correct, not an option unless the NAV6 is connected to your smartphone via Bluetooth A2DP/RCP.
  3. SWRoamer

SWRoamer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Even with A2DP headset it won’t work. The Bluetooth implementation on the Nav VI is weak and even with Garmin’s Smart Link on your phone media play doesn’t work correctly. With an A2DP headset paired to the Nav VI first, then an iPhone paired to the Nav VI second, you’ll be able to start the media player on your phone and get decent audio through the Nav VI, but stop, pause, play, etc. do not function with either screen buttons or the wonder wheel. Control has to be done on the phone or iPod.

Garmin know how to do this right—media play and control is nearly flawless on my Zumo 590LM—but it’s a hot mess on the Nav VI. I suspect BMW just doesn’t want to $pring for the fixes.
  4. Badger

Badger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got it to work correctly once :clap !!! but have been unable to repeat the success :cry. The first time I synced them (iPhone 11Pro, NAV VI, and Sena 20s), I was able to control the music (play/pause, next / previous) with the buttons on the NAV6, album art appears on the NAV's media screen, "browse" for the phone's library works and the selection buttons worked, and the Wonder Wheel controlled "Next / Previous" as well.
    Subsequent attempts have the music playing but only the browse buttons work, NOT the play/pause, or the next/previous.

I'm stumped. Any idea why it worked the first time??
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    solution: put the iPhone on the bars and use it for navigation, music, phone calls, etc

put the Garmin in a safe place so it won't be damaged when you finally remember to put it on eBay.