Nav VI has gone Wonky!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by triman11427, Nov 20, 2018.

1. triman11427

triman11427 Mud is my chrome

Oddometer:
    I was riding home tonight in bumper to bumper traffic in 45 deg temps. I'm on a 2017 1200 GSA with 5900 miles on it. All of a sudden my GPS starts acting really weird. I was in the map section and it starts pulling back until it shows me planet earth. I try to zoom in and then it starts changing screens without any input from me! My hand is no where near the wonder wheel and it's apparently become possessed! Anyone else have this issue? Garmin has already replaced one of these for me so now I'm thinking the switchgear/wonder wheel is bad.
  2. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    A well-known problem, that Garmin readily admits. Mine did that, and Garmin replaced it with a new - in the box - unit about a month ago. Call up Garmin OEM support (I think it's 866-455-7012) and explain the problem. They issued an RMA, sent me a pre-paid shipping label, and I sent mine original Nav VI back. Once received by them, they shipped the replacement unit. Took about two weeks in total for me. There is also a thread about this somewhere.

P.S., just saw that you already had one replaced. Was it for this same issue?
  3. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No it is your GPS I have same year bike as you my GPS acted weird called Garmin got the new one. One thing you should do disconnect the battery from your GPS wait 30 seconds then reconnect it should solve your problem.
  4. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast

Oddometer:
    Uh oh....mine has done that twice in 9 month. I carry glass cleaner for the bugs on my windshield. I sprayed it and wiped off the screen and it returned to normal. I assumed I had something on the screen that was causing issues.

Looks like next time I better call garmin?
  5. triman11427

triman11427 Mud is my chrome

Oddometer:
    My original unit did the same thing. The replacement was manufactured in September 2018 and the Garmin rep thought the newer units corrected the acknowledged hardware problem. I was told the only way to know if it’s the bike or the unit is to try the GPS on another bike. Unfortunately this is not a regularly recurrent issue so switching bikes is not an option. I was wondering if anyone had a wonder wheel issue causing the GPS to act weird.
  6. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've experienced, and heard of others experiencing, what I'll go ghost clicking. The symptom is basically just like you pressed the screen, only it happens when you aren't touching it. It occurs most often for me when I'm in view map mode and it acts like a pressed somewhere and drops a pin. Weekend before last it happened when I was entering text. It just started typing D D D D as if I was pressing it. That was enough for me to call Garmin, and they sent me a new unit which I have not yet tried.

It seems to me that what you describe is wonder wheel related because of the page flipping behavior. I don't know how you get that behavior without using the wonder wheel. You zoom behavior could be a false press on the zoom icon on the display, or it could be the wonder wheel. I can see how it would be hard to figure out with either a different Nav VI or a different bike to help narrow it down.
  7. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    Nav VI gone wonky too. Happened 5-6 times over a 3 week ride when the unit was in use every day. Garmin Support checked manufacture date and is sending a replacement unit. Apparently based on the mfg date, they handle the issue differently. They told me the direct line phone number to the Nav VI support group is 855-607-2536 to bypass the multi choice menu.

Follow up: Garmin replaced the Nav VI, shipped it 2 days after the old one arrived at the Olathe KS facility. Before you send one in, do a backup with the Garmin Express program.
  8. someguyinTO

someguyinTO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i agree with above. Mine had the same issue and Garmin even replaced it out of warranty for me. They did ask to send a video showing the problem, so maybe next time its acting up record a quick clip of it on your phone in case they ask you too. Top notch customer service in my experience.