Nav VI problem—Garmin comes through!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Dr Twisty, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my Nav VI entered crazytown on Tuesday--screen not following the bike icon, randomly switching screens, not responding to wonder wheel inputs. I bought it with my 2017.5 R1200GS in 2/18, so I thought it would be out of warranty. But I'm stunned to report that Garmin has come through big time. I called them up, got through to a well spoken rep immediately. I gave him the serial number and I explained the issue and he immediately offered to replace it with a new one. So easy. So great. I did not expect such good customer service. He said it's a hardware issue. Good job, Garmin, standing behind your product!
    RG1984, The_Eccentric, mikegc and 3 others like this.
  2. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    They've had a bunch of these. Bad screens. They are at least taking care of it.
    Dr Twisty likes this.
  3. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am on my 3rd unit. It seems OK. The first two did all that you describe and more whenever it felt like it.
    Dr Twisty likes this.
  4. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sent mine back Tuesday this week...was doing the same..mine was 2+ yrs old...did whole transaction via Garmin chat session...Headed to MOA Wednesday hope I have the new one by then...
    Gadgetech and Dr Twisty like this.
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of months ago my VI flipped out while on a ride. I cleaned the contacts on the GPS and cradle with CRC 2-26, and never had the problem again. Just to make sure I didn't hare a repeat, I got a can of DeoxIT D5 and again treated both sets of contacts.
    Dr Twisty and Menoche like this.
  6. marcmarc

marcmarc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope, actually Garmin f*#$(% up BIG TIME with the Nav VI. I'm on my second unit, it seems like a different, newer revision, so I assume that the first on is just piece of crap. It behave the same, crashing, randomly clicking on itself etc., so I would not say that a company selling electronic device for 750€ that just fails after several months of use is 'acting big time'.

I'm just waiting for the second one to fail.
  7. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    From my recent experiences with Garmin you probably will not. It was at least two weeks on both of my units.

I tried to give them a credit card to cross ship and they would not do that. So they need to receive yours and then process and ship your new one.

Now on the Nav V I had an issue and he shipped it to me and I had a full retail unit in it with all supplies. The Nav VI comes in a small white box all it's own with nothing else.

They really did screw the pooch on the VI and not really sure why. My Nav V is solid as a rock. It never as a overall production unit had the problem the VI does.
    Dr Twisty, svtride and marcmarc like this.
  8. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if these screen issues have anything to do with the issue you cannot skip and reverse tracks in the Media Player? Apart from that mine works fine, whenever there is a firmware update skipping tracks works for the first couple of times then after that never again either from the screen or the wonder wheel...
  9. Dr Twisty

Oddometer:
    Well I'm not sure what the warranty time for the device is, but assuming it was 1 year, my device was in use longer than that before it started acting crazy. So I expected to meet resistance from them to fix the problem or have them pass the buck to BMW. But they handled the problem quickly without hassle. So for that I give them credit. Let's face it, the GPS industry is dying since Google Maps has taken over most people's navigation needs. I'm frankly surprised Garmin still has the resources to have a live rep answer the phone and handle the problem efficiently with courtesy. So far they've done a good job. We'll see what happens. I doubt the company will be around much longer though.
    mikegc and The_Eccentric like this.
  10. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The warranty time is much more than 1 year. I can't remember but I think Garmin told me 5 years.

I am on my 4th (!) unit now in barely over a year ! Yes, Garmin is very responsive but, still, damn, how much confidence can you have in something with so many problems?

My first two units suffered from the screen going haywire problem. I was told that changes were made in production and my third unit did not exhibit this problem. However, the third unit did suffer from the erratic problem of not coming on when the bike was turned on. Working with Garmin, we tried a bunch of things but never could fix that issue. This fifth unit did the same thing at first but, after a master reset, it seems to be working correctly now. Time will tell.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=5pkqQBOE9L4qzpvROpQ1R8&productID=553253&searchQuery=Master reset&tab=topics

When Garmin first started replacing these, yes, they'd just send out a complete retail box. Problem was, all of those were from the same original production that had the haywire screen problem. They've had to replace so many that they are saving money by stocking just the GPS head unit in a plain box to send out to all of us.

11. marcmarc

marcmarc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Dr Twisty although I somehow do understand your point, I still do think that what Garmin did with Nav VI is insane, and being happy that company is taking care of clients, which invested, or rather threw away, that amount of money, after just a year, is ridiculous..

These devices should be ROCK SOLID, company have a TON OF EXPERIENCE, don't they?
    Dr Twisty likes this.
  12. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I solved this partially by buying the fastest memory card I could buy.

I burn all my MP3 at 320 kbs which is CD quality. They make large files and I have the 32 gig card pretty full. The Nav VI does not like that amount of files and I think it does not have the internal memory to use all of the media player functions smoothly. I can still crash mine if I do not give it enough time to recover when I search or scroll by Letter for Artist or something. I have crashed it with play list's also. Now I just use the random function and listen to stuff as it comes up. Or I switch over to FM on the Sena.

A fast card has helped me a lot in the music player app.
  13. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I am streaming music so new card won't help me. I am thinking this is an overall issue as opposed to a device specific one as it works whenever firmware is updated... for a while.
  14. Dr Twisty

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. For $1000 the devices should work perfectly. But at least they have a 5 year warranty (rare for an electronics item), and customer service that ( in my experience) was responsive and efficient. But maybe my expectations are low for a company of a dying industry.
  15. marcmarc

marcmarc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BTW my Nav VI is actually keep crashing when connected to my Mac, piece of crap.
  16. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ That shouldn't happen for sure and I use a Mac as well. My brother uses a PC and has no issues either, btw we are both on our 2nd unit also.
    Funny thing is that I got the full on retail box with the new GPS and my brother received his new GPS inn a plain box...
  17. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok sticking with my nav 5 for a while...
    Sailorlite likes this.
  18. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Nav 6 plays just fine with my ancient 2007 iMac and I am not having any screen issues(knock on wood)

JR356
  19. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The NAV VI is a great device - when it's working. I like the integration with the handlebar control switch and I like how I can pull up all the info about the bike etc on a single screen. It's all very convenient but I just wish the thing would work properly !
  20. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    These are display failures. Made by a supplier to Garmin. A supplier who no doubt supplies displays to lots of folks. Now, these touch screens are different than cell phones, being pressure sensitive vs. capacitive. So, a supplier issue.

Still a Garmin problem for sure. They are covering it.

Look at all of the recent issues by BMW Motorrad. All supplier issues.

It’s todays technology.
    Dr Twisty likes this.