Nav VI problem—Garmin comes through!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Dr Twisty, Jun 6, 2019.

1. marcmarc

marcmarc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The problem is I DON'T CARE, I haven't bought a screen from manufacturer XYZ from Taiwan, slammed together with microprocessor from another vendor, tied by the software outsourced to India, I bought BMW Motorrad NAV VI, by Garmin. I'm the end user, not the project manager from Garmin, I'm not buying these excuses :-)

Honestly speaking I bought this because I was lured by the 'best integration' user experience, but no one told me that this device is so ludicrously SLOW, it's almost painful to operate. It's often the case that I'm using my phone to orientate in the surroundings and then use the NAV VI to enter the destination and don't even bother checking the map, because is so cumbersome. Even typing on the keyboard is a joke, lags between keystrokes are like 2-3 seconds. It's 2019, not 2009?

I wouldn't buy this piece of art again, the only positive is that wonder wheel can be used to adjust the zoom level, that's great, and that's all.
    Tumer, petertakov, ohgood and 3 others like this.
  2. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not experienced the slowness you describe with the operation of the 5 (!) Nav VI units that I've had. When operating, the NAV VI does fine for me. The problem has been keeping the screen from going wildly out of control and zooming all over the place and the other problem of having the unit fail to energize.

This last unit (No. 5) seems to be doing well. Fingers crossed.

As for the reason for all these troubles, I dunno. I've used many Garmin products over the years with very few issues.

3. marcmarc

marcmarc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, if so, then I suppose I'll make a video of that behaviour and I'll send it to the Garmin Support ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ BTW fifth unit, great product :D
  4. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only reasons I purchased the NAV VI are because:
    1) I ride a lot where there is no cell service,
    2) I use basecamp to route my trips into gpx files and it works well with Garmin (basecamp is produced by Garmin) and
    3) the NAV VI integrates well into the GS with the excellent factory mount positioned perfectly above the dash and its integration with the wonder wheel.

Otherwise my phone with Google maps is far superior.

But that said, until the unit failed on me, I liked it a lot compared to previous GPS units I've had. The screen is bright and it for the most part did what I expected it to do.
  5. bgspltr

bgspltr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About a month ago I experienced the screen issues, also dramatic slowdown... tried cleaning the contacts on the mount, no improvement.

After some thought, I realized that I had just uploaded several complex routes into the Nav just prior to the onset of problems. Perhaps a memory issue?

I had not done any housekeeping on routes over the two years I had the device, nor had I deleted any of the tracks. So there would likely be a ton of memory used by both. I deleted all the track history, and deleted all the old routes... much better, but still some issues. I did a 'hard reset' which of course meant redoing all the setup, including bluetooth, but — problem solved!

My theory is that the memory became corrupted due to bugs in the device OS handling of large amount of routes and tracking history.
    tex2 and The_Eccentric like this.
  6. Rollmops

Rollmops Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just received my 3rd Nav 6 unit, with a serial number starting with 5... this time (both previous flaky ones where 4...)... I really hope this one will behave because I'm really done with Garmin if not.

Just curious if someone with an old-ish unit(with serial number starting with 4...) can have a quick look at the box. On mine it reads somewhere on one of the sides 007-02956-04 Rev. B, and I wonder if this is a new SKU and if the Rev. B points to a revised touch digitizer for this dreaded ghost touch issue that plagued both my previous units.
  7. _Gir_

_Gir_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought it for the same reasons and have the same thoughts on how freaking slow it is. However, I downloaded Garmin's smartphone link app onto my phone and I use that to enter/find my destination and then send that to the Garmin. It's so much faster but still the fact that I'm even having to do this is pretty lame..
    AdvROC likes this.
  8. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never use the Nav VI for directions. It’s terrible for that. Google maps on a phone is far superior. If there is no cell service, the Nav VI is a back up solution for directions. What I do use it for is to guide me through gpx routes I’ve created on Garmin BaseCamp and for that it’s pretty good—it has a bright screen, it’s waterproof, it gives me audible prompts through Bluetooth, and it’s positioned really well on the ‘17 GS. There isn’t a better, brighter, more reliable, weatherproof, well positioned option available as far as I know.
  9. WillieJ

WillieJ MotorMan

Oddometer:
    The new one I just bought from Sierra BMW is 007-02956-03 Rev. C

So far so good.
    Rollmops likes this.
  10. JPCollinsworth

JPCollinsworth Compulsive Spender

Oddometer:
    Mine too is 007-02956-03 Rev C. I've not experienced any of the issues described it this thread and I purchased it last August.
    I do have a problem with distorted navigational prompts. Not consistently, but often enough that I'm going to contact Garmin about it.
    Rollmops likes this.
  11. dbyker

dbyker Dave

Oddometer:
    This is the problem I have with my Nav VI, if I don't ride for 3+ weeks the unit won't come on until after I've ridden a while and presumably charged the battery and I stop and restart the bike. Could be a slow drain or a bad battery, I've seen others have similar experiences and Garmin was responsive and replaced the battery (@ $100 item IIRC) under warranty in some cases. Tried the master reset above and will see if that helps, thanks!

Never had a problem with my previous Nav IV or V. Yeah, very disappointing for what the unit costs, but it's still the best product for my needs, and at least Garmin's BMW division seems responsive and helpful.

Cheers, Dave
  12. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm going several weeks now with my latest NAV VI and no problems.

If you are experiencing proper function until the bike sits for almost a month, I suggest checking your bike's battery condition.

When the NAV VI is turned off, it is only in a sleep phase but still on and taking battery power from its own internal battery. Over time it can deplete its internal battery, especially one that is not in good condition. If the GPS battery gets too depleted AND the motorcycle battery is not in good condition, when the bike ignition is turned on, the GPS may not automatically come on. If it does come on in such circumstances, the GPS will go through its boot-up mode instead of simply immediately flashing up the navigation screen for use.

Garmin never explained the reason for this but they gave me another GPS that worked fine. Perhaps the weak bike battery is pulling down the line voltage enough to not energize the GPS. In this case, you can remove the GPS from the holder and turn it on manually and replace it on the holder of the running bike and it will stay and work fine until the unit is shut down again. Having a good bike battery and keeping it on a trickle charger is a good suggestion.

By the way, if your bike is within warranty, the stock battery will be covered by the warranty. My dealer replaced my bike battery under warranty.

13. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    So, I don't see the "00x-xxxxx-xx Rev. x" code on my unit (are y'all getting that from the box/documentation somewhere?). If I go to the "About" page in the settings screen, it includes some hardware information: Nav VI About Screen.jpg

Bought my unit last October. So far it's worked fine and I've had no screen/zooming problems.
  14. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the very same issue with my BMW Nav 6 last fall. Got home did a hard reboot remkvef the battery went online updated both software and maps but I did call Garmin to report the issue. Explained what the problem was and that it seem to be working fine now. Garmin said not to worry I have a five year warranty on the unit and if I wanted they would replace it at the time but I opted to see if it would self correct.

Well on a recent trip coming home from Nova Scotia I had the crazy screen issue happen again. As soon as I got home called Garmin actually spoke to the same rep at Garmin who was great and he said no problem let’s just get you a new unit right away and he shipped one out to me that day took a credit card from me as a sort of deposit until they got my unit back. Two days later I had a new unit in my hand changed and copied the settings to my New NAV 6 from my old unit and sent the old unit back. Credit was posted to my CC within five business days. Extremely happy with the Garmin service and support and still loving my NAV 6. The display clarity in the bright sun can’t be beat!
  15. NoiZboy

Oddometer:
    I definitely like having both navigational options on the road for convenience & backup. The longer the trip, the more I use both. I find the phone better for quick "how do I get..." directions and the Nav VI better for longer trips & planned routes, or for routes with limited cell/GPS reception and/or where I don't want the phone exposed to the elements/dust/water/physical abuse.

It's also nice when things go sideways. Just as one example, my iPhone has recently started having GPS tracking issues, which revealed themselves while on the bike, so I was grateful for the GPS. I've also had the phone overheat and shutdown when mounted to the handlebar.

That said, everyone will make different choices based on preference, funds, type/location of riding, etc.

PHONE USERS CHECK OUT WunderLINQ
    For anyone interested in a phone-only solution, you might want to keep an eye out for something like WunderLINQ. I've seen a couple of these and most are definitely "developmental," but WunderLINQ is pretty far along. It looks like a great way to make your phone much more motorcycle friendly, integrate it with the "wonder wheel," and use that "GPS Prep" you didn't want in the first place. I'm not affiliated with the company in any way - just impressed by what they've done.
  16. WillieJ

WillieJ MotorMan

Oddometer:
    The number and Rev. number are from the box.
    NoiZboy likes this.
  17. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks really interesting and has me very curious as I love just about all things tech. What the website does not offer is the price for some reason. I love my Nav V and even more Basecamp for plotting, I would definitely be interested in the wunderlinq if the price was reasonable and easily swapped to put the Nav back in place.
  18. NoiZboy

Oddometer:
    They started with a Kickstarter campaign, and were seeking $200 investments for the standard and $500 for the "adventurer" version. Maybe that gives some ballpark sense of the pricing...
  19. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    but the 660 also does NOT have the display of the NAV 6
  20. BluegrassPicker

BluegrassPicker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm on my 3rd Nav Vi. The first one lasted 2 years, the second one 2 weeks, 3rd one is working fine.
    I'm very happy with the Garmin service and support. I would rather not have to use it though :lol3
    RTinNC likes this.