1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Nav VI problem—Garmin comes through!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Dr Twisty, Jun 6, 2019.

1. WillieJ

WillieJ MotorMan

Oddometer:
    Right, nowhere close. I used my old 660 on my 1200 LC until my Nav VI arrived.
  2. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Using the BMW GPS connection, the CANBUS should shut down power to the GPS mount within a minute or so after ignition off, turning off the screen unless you cancel the GPS "shut down" (sleep). At that point, the GPS battery is powering the sleep mode without drawing on the bike's battery. If it is totally drained, it might need to charge for a while before it will work. Press and hold the power button on the back to force a complete shut down at the end of the day.

If the CANBUS does not shut down power to the GPS mount, the screen will remain lit, the GPS will remain awake, and the bike's battery will indeed be depleted.
    rtcoker likes this.
  3. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is basically correct. I changed my previous wording to be more clear. The point is, according to many talks with Garmin, if the GPS internal battery gets depleted in the sleep mode etc AND the bike battery is also weak then the GPS can fail to come on when the bike is started and the bike's electrical system is charged with the appropriate running voltage. They could not explain this except that it varied with the particular GPS unit.

ALSO, lol, if both the bike's battery and the GPS battery are good, some units will intermittently fail to come on when full current is supplied. The GPS needs replacement.
  4. co2bruce

co2bruce Heated grips ??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a pilot I say do not worry. Garmin is one of the biggest players in avionics in the world. The company is not going anywhere. Not that the product shouldn't work for $1000 but they will be there to help for at least the next 20 years.
    mikegc, rtcoker and Dr Twisty like this.
  5. WillieJ

WillieJ MotorMan

Oddometer:
    Pressing the power button is a bit inconvenient, because it is covered by the BMW mount. It requires the Nav VI to be unlocked and removed from the mount.... at least on my 2014 GSLC. If the power button was on the back of the right side, it would be easy.
  6. rtcoker

rtcoker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is completely accurate. Good concise correct info
  7. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    Just remembered our chat when reviewing their website this morning - Product is available again and price is $260 inclusive of shipping to the U.S.
  8. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    I am on my third, and now it has started it.

I am pretty disgusted with this- the amount of $$$ I throw away with maps as the Download maps are per unit... f that.

like I can trust the nav 6 now- 18 months and moving onto my fourth unit.

give me my 5 back....
  9. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    fifth? shizzers!
  10. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, it happened again on my replacement Nav VI. They're going to replace it. The rep said that this problem happens with certain batches with certain serial numbers. I asked him if they knew which batches it happened to, why did they send me a replacement within that serial number range? He gave me some nonsense answer. What a pain.
  11. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, this summer, when I was trying to negotiate my way around Seattle, my trusty Nav VI went absolutely nuts. The screen did several flips and flop so I pulled over into a rest area, pulled the battery and hooked it up to my computer. That calmed it down and, the next morning, I called the boys in Olathe and they asked for the S/N of the device. I gave it to them and they said it was one of the bad ones. I elected not to get a replacement (traveling at the time) so they opened a case for me. It went crazy, again, on a local ride so I called them, again. No muss, no fuss . . . the tech saw the open ticket and said, "I'll send a new one out today. Just return your old one." I'm waiting for the Speedo Angels glass screen protector to arrive before using it and keeping my Nav V just in case.

Mike
    bmac and Dr Twisty like this.
  12. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hrmm....my replacement from last January has been working well however during today's ride the screen changed and just showed the map with no data (speed, direction etc) with the back arrow on the bottom left of the screen. Being very gun shy since the previous failure I'm going to start a log for any future anomalies in the event I have to reach out to Garmin again.

So I assume they're continuing to send new replacement units as opposed to 'send it in and we'll repair'?
  13. Dr Twisty

Oddometer:
    Ron--They're just sending me a new one. I need it immediately because I plan to ride this weekend so I paid a replacement fee of $350 and they sent it out immediately. They will refund that money when they receive my malfunctioning unit by UPS. I can't really fault their customer service. But I'm disappointed this keeps happening to the Nav VI. They obviously don't have a handle on the problem because it happened to the replacement. It reminds me of the fuel gauge problems BMW had with the cam-heads. They would keep replacing them but never found a true fix for the problem.
    Ron from BC and mikegc like this.
  14. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Concerning yes, I have 14 months left on my 3 year warranty so hopefully this replacement doesn't continue to give problems. As you said, Garmin has been very good with the replacements though.
  15. Dr Twisty

Oddometer:
    I believe the Garmin unit has a 5 year warranty separate from the motorcycle warranty. Assuming you got the unit with your 2017 bike, you should have coverage until 2022-3. Although since this seems to be a design issue, I imagine these units will be covered longer much like the fuel strip in the camhead BMW's which was covered for over 10 years. We'll see.
    Ron from BC and mikegc like this.
  16. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    5 Years is correct on the NAV 6 and I too hope for an extended warranty.
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Garmin isn't fixing the old buggy units, and isn't producing good new units why not just all for a refund and use your phone with Google maps ?
    Tumer and Dr Twisty like this.
  18. Dr Twisty

Oddometer:
    1)wonder wheel; 2)waterproof; 3)works with base camp; 4)positioned well on factory mount; 5)easy to read when it works. Can’t get that with a phone
    Ron from BC, ohgood and mikegc like this.
  19. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Dr. Twisty said and for me there is no unit or phone that comes close to the readability of the NAV6 when in bright sunlight. And love the WonderWheel interface and built in mount.
    Ron from BC, bmac, ohgood and 2 others like this.
  20. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be taking an extended trip in April that will take me from Tokyo to Munich. I'd hate to think I had to rely on my iPhone for directions in Tajikistan. I imagine I'd exceed my "unlimited" data program.:D

By the way, when I called Garmin to request a new Nav VI, he said my unit was "in the S/N range" where there were screen manufacturing defects. I had my new Nav VI in two days. When they received my old unit, the credit to my AX was issued a day or two later. As a long-time Garmin user, I've always gotten good service from them.

Mike
    Ron from BC and Dr Twisty like this.