Nav VI problem—Garmin comes through!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Dr Twisty, Jun 6, 2019.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    1 can't help you with the wonder wheel !
    2 most of them are waterproof now
    3 Basecamp is just a library/plotter, phones can import/export routes, tracks, waypoints, kmz overlays, etc just looked any other GPS can, except phones can do it wirelessly
    4 mounts are easy peas, $11 on Amazon
    5 hmm, I've been using phones for years without visibility issues. are you using polarized glasses or something that makes it hard to see certain displays ?
  2. ohgood

Oddometer:

use offline maps ?
  3. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have to agree .... Garmin service for me has been superb!
    mikegc likes this.
  4. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been ordering paper maps as there are no known (by me) GPS maps. Garmin cover Europe nicely but the 'Stans, Mongolia & Russia aren't covered. I'll be with a small tour group and hoping the ride leaders will provide tracks as they've done this trip many times.

Mike
  5. Double Apex

Double Apex Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I fell victim to the ghost touch last week. I sent an email on Saturday to Garmin describing the issue and Monday morning there was a reply that it would be replaced.
  6. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:

I'm not selling anything here, just pointing out things a lot of people don't know about like phones being waterproof, not ever needing cellular signal to use the gps antenna, offline maps being free for the entire world, and that the user interfaces are better... if you already have your heart set on an old stand alone, that's cool, the technology has marched on since then :-)
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:

thanks for your opinion ! the question of how to get a replacement was answered way back in July. the rest is complimentary civility :-)
  9. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hrmm, two more unannounced screen changes today so I've added this info along with pics to my document and I'll call Garmin on Monday. Interesting that I sent my last VI off to Garmin for replacement on Dec 3/ '18.
  10. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    UPDATE - My unit did eventually develop the screen problem, a little over 1 year after purchase and in early November. Murphy's law dictated that this waited to happen until I was on a relatively remote, multi-day trip and planning on GPS guidance in areas without cell phone reception. I did have paper maps as a backup, but the timing was annoying just the same. Lacking any better ideas, I applied even pressure to the screen surface with my fingers, gently flexed the unit's whole body, cleaned the screen, and restarted the software. That eliminated the problem for about a month and got me through the rest of the trip I was on, but the screen started acting up again about 2 weeks ago so I contacted Garmin for a replacement, which they offered without any hesitation.

The "ghost touches" initially happened the night after I'd spent, for the first time, significant time using the unit itself to program a route (rather than using BaseCamp). I hadn't brought my laptop but wanted to revise the next day's plan, so I did a lot more onscreen "button pushing" than ever before. That morning was also the first time the unit had seen some bitterly cold temperatures (around 20 degrees F). I have nothing proving either of those were the cause, it's just interesting timing. Either way, many units clearly have this issue and Garmin knows it, so I doubt that the cause matters much, if at all.

I just received the replacement, which bears S/N 66M006###. According to the invoice, the product code is 010-01054-46. I don't know what my old unit's s/n or product code were, as Garmin must have already removed it from my account and I hadn't written them down anywhere else. But there are several references in this thread to S/N or product code as a way of determining whether a unit might have a bad screen, so I thought I'd share what I can.

Based on comparing the screenshot below to the one in my original post, the "hardware version" of this new unit is "V8" instead of "V7." Also, the "BMW Motorrad" version is "13.00" instead of "12.00," and the new unit/software also reports a "Mount Version" of 3.00, whereas the old unit/software didn't show that at all. I've no confirmation as to what any of those version numbers mean, but maybe one or more of them indicate a better/fixed screen. Here's hoping!

Merry Christmas & happy holidays, everyone!

IMG_0437.jpeg
  11. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're lucky you got a replacement as they have zero stock in NA now until the next batch which is due in from Taiwan at the end of the month. The new replacements, and they are new not refurb, are being distributed in brown boxes and are just the head and battery......which is fine.
    mikegc likes this.
  12. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW .... bummer for those needing a replacement. When I got my replacement they sent me a brand new boxed unit just like the package I got when I bought the Nav6 from my dealer.
    mikegc likes this.
  13. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 'first' replacement, which was in Dec '18 was also a retail box however I don't blame them for moving to this type of replacement packaging. How many security screws and zippered carrying cases do people need....:-)

The recent call I had with product support, which informed me of their inventory status etc, was both helpful and informative. My latest unit was received at the service center on Nov 29th so by the time I get the replacement it will have been 7 weeks. I do miss it however this time of the year my rides are just for coffee or some shopping so I can live with it.
  14. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    I wondered about that - the support tech told me it'd be a while, so I was very surprised when I got one so quickly. Sorry to hear others are still having to wait, but here's hoping my quick turnaround means they got some units early! So far the new unit works & looks the same as the original - but of course only time will tell if they fixed the problem we've all had.

I did receive bare bones packaging with just the unit & battery inside - fine by me as they'd told me to only send the unit.
  15. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well we'll see how #3 works out.............

IMG_4797.jpg
    rider1150gsadv and mikegc like this.
  16. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be on # 3 soon myself...:becca
  17. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It may be 750$ to you but to Garmin it's probably more like 75$. You do the math what's more lucrative to them - investing more in QC and R&D or replace it a few times :-) Plus these replacement are probably at the expense of whoever sub-contractor manufactures these for Garmin. These motorcycle GPS devices are desperately outdated and a complete rip-off.
  18. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've a trip that starts in April with a duration of approximately 100 days. I'll tour Japan for a week before taking a ferry to Russia. From there, I'll ride to Paris and, sometime around the 5th of August, I'll fly my bike and tired self back to North America. I'm using a Nav VI and, so far, it has been good. With my iPhone 11 Pro, do you know of an app or other program where I can load my daily routes if the Garmin unit fails? I'd like to be able to have a back-up plan. I assume I'd have to acquire SIM cards for each of the 20 countries in which I'll travel.

Mike
  19. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Locus and OSMand seem to be the most popular apps that support GPX files but there is at least a dozen others. Neither of them needs cell/data connection. There are several threads on ADV discussing these in exhaustive detail. Personally, I use OSMand and I don't really remember why I chose it over Locus, to be honest. If you spend a little time with these apps you will find that they are levels of magnitude more powerful and customisable than Garmin/TomTom.

For simple navigation from A to B I found Sygic/Offline Maps & Navigation to be the best apps that work without cell/data.
    If you do have data connection, Google Maps has the best traffic information and unbeatable amount of auxiliary data (hotels/restaurants/services ...........).
    mikegc likes this.
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    motion x is great on iOS
    mikegc likes this.