Nav VI problem—Garmin comes through!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Dr Twisty, Jun 6, 2019.

1. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From my previous testing OSM looks good, but it renamed all my tracks to Track01, Track01, etc and changed all the track colors to the same color.
    Locus handled the tracks just fine, but the screen was not as easy to see.

I recently tried testing both again, but one of them - I think Locus - now requires a newer operating system than what is on my test Andoid tablet. So I haven't finished current testing.
  2. Oron

Oron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haven't given this issue much thought since my last post in the Fall of 2018?, but now with Spring around the corner, started to ride the bike and just today my replacement NAV VI has wet the bed. Same frozen, jerky screens and then not turning on as before. Just went on Garmin chat (was unable to connect by phone) and replacement (3rd) unit on its way. I suppose it could be worse; some of you have described being on your 4th or 5th replacement. Needless to say, my confidence is shaken with this product. As of March 2020, does Garmin finally have a handle on their Nav VI QC?
  3. Menoche

Menoche Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my replacement unit today in Montreal and it is indeed a V8 hardware :-)
    mikegc likes this.
  4. Tumer

Tumer Tumer

Oddometer:
    Completely agree.

This is my fifth yes 5th Navi VI. Completely crap. Each unit had worked fine for a minimum of 10k km's. And then in the middle of a trip it begins with the screen, and that problem grows bigger and bigger while you are using your CELLPHONE as your primary GPS unit while the Garmin Navi VI rests. Tthe lags are always there from day one. I really don not understand how BMW still cooperates with Garmin which quality and functional wise does not match.

I am so sorry I bought his crap.

The biggest amount of money ever wasted.

Peace.
  5. Oron

Oron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 3rd Nav VI (2nd replacement) just arrived this afternoon. Just downloaded software 5.80 and map NA v 2021.10.
    Question: does "V8 hardware" refer to version 8 and how do you know what version they shipped?
  6. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On your device, Settings > Device > About.

Mike
  7. Oron

Oron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Duh. Shoulda known that. Thank you, Mike!
    Yes, I'm now sporting V8 as well, specifically SA3. Now the big question is, whether or not device #3 is gonna stand the test of time. Not holding my breath.
  8. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    I just got a third new Nav VI unit today, so thought I'd let folks know what the current shipping device hardware & software versions are. This time mine was replaced for a one-off BT issue, not the usual screen problem (last time it was for the screen issue).

See Post #70 for info on the unit I got back in December. The only hardware/software difference appears to be the "BMW Mottorrad" version. It was V. 13 on the earlier unit, and it's V. 15 on this one. I've no idea what that difference is or even means.:rofl

I will say, Garmin's tech support worked hard to try and solve this issue over chat, and then didn't hesitate to quickly send a new unit when they couldn't get it working. For more information on the problem I had this time, which was basically that SmartLink refused to work even though BT appeared to be connected, see this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/nav-vi-smart-link-problem-no-data-communication-at-all.1443870

IMG_1353 w Blackout2.jpg
  9. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    You joined the 3 unit club too! :lol3 Same here and my brother as well. His 3rd Nav VI is on the way as we speak...