1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Nav VI randomly display change

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by dfowens, Mar 22, 2018.

1. dfowens

dfowens Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am experiencing random changes/adjustments of the display on my GPS while riding. Meaning without any input from me it will change screen displays much like tapping on the screen will do or moving the wonderwheel. It doesn't do it all the time. Just randomly. Is anyone else experiencing this type of behavior? Very frustrating.

The firmware is updated to 4.9.
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    You might try cleaning the Mount contacts and the contact pads on your NAV6. Lightly press on the mount pins with your finger to get any dust out and only use a cotton swab with a little rubbing alcohol to clean. You might also check the cable connectors in the righthand side of the fairing by the right stanchon tube - just follow the cable down from the GPS Mount.
  3. dfowens

dfowens Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will try that. Thanks! It happens on 2 different bikes, so I don't think it is the cable connectors but worth a check.
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If it is happening on multiple bikes then clean the NAV6 contacts and then do a Master Reset on the NAV6.
    • Master Reset: Power Off the device. Press the Power Button for 5sec. When the Boot Screen appears, touch and hold the lower righthand corner of the display until you see the question. Press Yes to remove all user data. It won’t actually remove all of your Routes/Waypoints/Tracks but it will remove your device settings and Recently Saved Places.
    Fosters and dfowens like this.
  5. dfowens

dfowens Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I will keep that in mind. So far the previous fix has worked at least for todays commute.
  6. dfowens

dfowens Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also sent an email to Garmin and got the following:
    "Sorry for the issue and it is happening to other customers as well. We need to set up an RMA under warranty exchange and we will email you a shipping label to cover your cost of shipping. "
  7. dfowens

dfowens Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can’t say enough about Garmin customer service! I got a brand new unit in the mail and haven’t had any problems hence

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  8. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your bike is still under warranty the Nav is under warranty from BMW. I had an issue with my Nav V and my dealer just swapped it for another one with zero hassle. Did not need to contact Garmin and go through mailing it in and waiting for an exchange, just brought in the old picked up the new.
  9. dfowens

dfowens Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great point! For some reason I didn’t think about that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real

Oddometer:
    Bringing this thread back to life. There are a few (or more) of us who are battling this right now.

My Nav VI seems to work fine in my car powered off the cig adaptor cable. But in my 2017 GSA cradle it goes crazy after a while and is out of control. I can only assume its something with the wonder wheel.

Has anyone isolated the pins in the cradle that power the Nav VI but don't connect to the bike Wonder Wheel? That is my next project. The deanship wants me to drop bike off for eval and I have big trip coming up. So no time for that.
  11. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I phoned Garmin today to report this problem on my Nav VI. It happened twice on a six-day ride last week. They aid it was a known issue, and quickly said they would replace my Nav VI with a new one, after I send my old unit back to them (I can keep the accessories (not that there are many), including the battery. They also sent me a technical questionnaire to fill in/return.
  12. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real

Oddometer:
    That is interesting since last week they told me I had to go to the dealer for replacement.

Did you ever try the Nav VI off the bike to see if it would mess up? Mine hasn't messed up once off the bike.
  13. fraroy

fraroy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It happened to me last week-end, first and only occurence in two riding seasons. The unit was displaying the sky (3-d) view and turning around on its own ! I took it off from the mount and had a hard time to power it down (didn't have the screwdriver to access the battery and disconnect it). In the end, could power it off then resumed working as usual. My bike is a 2008 r1200gs, without the "wonder" wheel. The unit is mounted in the 4 buttons cradle. This is the end of the season for me, will store the bike away in a few days, so undecided if I should wait for next occurence (spring 2019) or file a RMA right away.
  14. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I'd call Garmin, if I were you. I got an email today informing me that my replacement Nav VI was being shipped. I had sent mine to Garmin last week, and they got it Friday. I called 866-455-7012, which I believe is OEM Support.
  15. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real

Oddometer:
    I just finished the MABDR and fukn Nav VI went into "crazy mode" three out of six days. Out in the middle of BFE with zero cell coverage and no GPS. Lucky I had a GPX view app on my phone to navigate.

Yesterday I called Garmin and this time the guy I spoke with admitted there is a known problem with the Nav VI touch screen. He initiated a replacement and Garmin emailed me a UPS label. He said when they get mine they will send me a brand new one.