Nav VI randomly display change

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by dfowens, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a lot of testing on mine including the tape-test. The problem is in the touch screen, as explained to me by the Garmin support tech. I actually have a video of mine not working.
  2. vfrday

vfrday n00b

Oddometer:
    I have 2018 R1200GSA with TFT, key-less start and navigator 6, mine issues are that nav would turn on after the bike is shut down, the unit recognized the lost of power and it ask if you want to shut down or not and when I shut the unit down after a few seconds the unit would turn on again until it boots up and then recognized that power is lost and ask the same question again, this only happens intermittently and on some occasions the nav unit will not turn on after I push power on the bike, sometimes the only way to fix this is to take the unit of the cradle and do a soft re boot to the nav unit. anyone knows how to fix this issue or if they know the cause? is it the nav unit that is bad or is it the tft or the key less start or the cradle? thanks
  3. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine is 3 months old and this morning it just started spinning. If I switched screens with the wheel it would stop for a while. Then it just just started a route home on its own. Called the dealer and they said call Garmin...

Update

Online chat with Garmin and they are swapping it out.
  4. Beairmo

Oddometer:
    The symptoms I had led me to believe the problem was in the wonder wheel. But from I was told by Garmin, the problem is in the touch screen itself. The touch screen behaves like its being touched when it isn't. I suggest you call them and get a new one because they seem to be replacing everyone that calls in.
  5. vfrday

vfrday n00b

Oddometer:
    this nav is actually the second unit, the first unit exhibited the same symptoms but more often and was replaced by my dealer 2 weeks ago, today the bike was picked up by the dealer and they are going to run a full diagnostics on the bike to see if they can pin point the problem, they told me they never had a problem like mines, I was just wondering if this had ever happened to other owners and if so how was it resoled. I did read on another forum that some K1600 owners with similar problems with the navigator 6 that I'm experiencing was wondering if R1200GS owners had same type of issues as me.
  6. Beairmo

Oddometer:
    This brings up a concern of mine. Did Garmin actually do anything in the production of the NavVI that fixes the problem with the screen? I have yet to hear anyone discuss a revision # or build date that delineates the before/after the problem was resolved. My NavVI worked for many months before it "freaked out".

Has anyone heard anything from Garmin on the date where they fixed this?
  7. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    No date of the problem but when I had the conversation with the tech in Kansas last Monday he asked for the serial number to identify a build date. After chatting and getting the RMA process going he did say that the problem had been fixed and that it was a hardware problem with the screen which was encouraging.

Reading of the OP's problem and it's only 3 months old now not so much. I'm hoping that these new replacement units are newer than his build date. My unit is due to arrive at the Garmin Depot on Monday.

I have two years left on my warranty so maybe I'm going to have to go thru this again. On the up side, notwithstanding this touch screen issue, this is the best Zumo I've had in particular the clarity of the screen and if Garmin continues to be as helpful I'm okay.
  8. Beairmo

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I have a handheld GPS I will now be sure to have with me as a backup because I have little confidence in the Nav VI right now. My buddy uses Butler maps and rubbed that in as we rode the MABDR with my Nav6 freaking out.
  9. emidyl

emidyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just stumbled across this thread, and guess I know what's affecting my VI. Mine keeps going back a page, so basically the back arrow is continually blinking and keeps reverting back.
    Updated and cleaned all contacts. Haven't ridden much as of late but will contact my dealer to see what they would like me to do.
  10. dfowens

dfowens Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would recommend you just contact Garmin directly and as you have seen in multiple cases on this thread they will take care of it.
    Beairmo likes this.
  11. Beairmo

Oddometer:
    I agree with this. Just call Garmin. Your dealer will slow down the process.
  12. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forget about the dealer.
    Bernie Echt likes this.
  13. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mark did you send yours to Diverso (Garmin) in Richmond Hill ON or in the States?
  14. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin in the U.S., (where I’m living).
    Ron from BC likes this.
  15. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    MODERATOR: There now seems to be about 3 threads on this Nav VI Phantom Menace (jumping screen) issue...Time to combine?
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  16. emidyl

emidyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Called Garmin and sending in my unit this weekend. I'm in the GTA so it's being taken care of in Richmond Hill. They said about weeks time for new one.
  17. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^GTA = Grand Theft Auto?
  18. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    GTA = Greater Toronto Area.
    x32792 likes this.
  19. vfrday

vfrday n00b

Oddometer:
    my bike was at dealer all week and they couldn't find anything wrong with the bike's electrical system. I also called Garmin and they contacted the dealer to see why 2 different new GPS units would act or fail the same way on my bike. today I got my bike back and the dealer is holding onto the GPS unit and they are going to send it to Garmin and see if they can determine if indeed it is the GPS unit that is bad. I'll update when I hear from them. at this point I don't have a lot of confidence in the navigator iv anymore, I don't even think I want a replacement because what if the new unit craps out in 6 months then what, at this point I can get a full refund on the unit and I might just do that.
  20. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I called Diverso this morning to get a time line as mine was received last Monday. They are out of replacement units but hope to receive some today....:eek7