1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Nav VI & Smart Link Problem - No data communication at all

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by NoiZboy, May 5, 2020.

1. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    I haven't found anything searching the GPS forum, so I thought I'd ask here. I have a Nav VI, iPhone 11 Pro, and Garmin Smartlink. My bluetooth is setup so the Nav VI & iPhone are connected for data.

Recently, I've lost the ability to share any data between the GPS and the phone. I can't send locations, receive no traffic or weather data ... nothing. I've tried resetting the bluetooth on both devices, rebooting both devices, reestablishing the Bluetooth connection, and confirmed the current software on all devices, reset the Nav VI, and removed & reinstalled the SmartLink software. Both SmartLink and the Nav VI report that SmartLink isn't connecting and to check Bluetooth/if the devices are in range. Of course, the Bluetooth is connected and the devices are about 6" apart.

Has anyone else dealt with a total breakdown of data communication between SmartLink and the Nav VI? Thanks.

5/15 RESOLVED: Took a new Nav VI from Garmin, but that solved the problem. See Post #10 for more info...
  2. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    On your iPhone, open Settings and then scroll down to the apps section where you see Smart Link. Make sure it is allowed to use Bluetooth and all other settings are enabled. I’ve had issues with other apps where the Bluetooth was turned off so the app wasn’t able to use it.
  3. NoiZboy

Oddometer:
    Yeah - I've checked all that. It's a very strange problem. Every setting and software condition I can think of seems to be right. Maybe just time to sit on hold with Garmin's tech support...lol.
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    @NoiZboy ... Have you tried making the Bluetooth Pairing while the SmartLink App is open? That is, delete the Bluetooth pairing at the NAV6 and Forget the Pairing on the iPhone. Then Pair the iPhone and NAV6 using the NAV6 to initiate the Bluetooth Pairing. Once the two devices are paired check to see what SmartLink has to say. Again, SmartLink should be open when you do the above pairing.
  5. NoiZboy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, DRTBYK. Sadly I have, a couple of times and in a couple of variations (changing the "direction" of the pairing, reinstalling the SmartLink App, restarting both phone & Nav, resetting the Nav before trying. It's proving to be a very stubborn problem.
  6. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Approximately how long ago was it that this application worked between the NAV6 and Smartphone Link App?
  7. NoiZboy

Oddometer:
    I have to be honest - I'm not exactly sure. I just noticed the other day I could no longer use Smart Link to send locations to the NAV VI. With the COVID-19 shutdowns, I haven't been commuting, and so haven't had reason to look for the usual "time to home" estimate, traffic, etc. And my rides have been to familiar places in state, so I haven't really been using my GPS much at all.
  8. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Hard to diagnose problems like this remotely. But, if I were to guess as to the problem area, I'd be looking at the Smartphone Link App since iOS was the most recent software of the three to update. The Smartphone Link App hasn't been updated in over 8mo. If you really use this App, I'd call Garmin and get them to figure it out - of course they are putting their dev efforts into Garmin Drive and Garmin Explore these days so I'd be surprised to see any effort put into the Smartphone Link App.
    NoiZboy likes this.
  9. NoiZboy

Oddometer:
    So, I spent a about an hour in a support chat with Garmin today. They were helpful, walked me through a few new things and confirmed I'd done everything else correctly. One thing we tried was just using another phone, and that had no effect on the results. In the end they decided to send a replacement Nav VI and based on an email I just received it'll be here Thursday. I'll report back and see if that, in fact, solves the problem. Here's hoping!
  10. NoiZboy

Oddometer:
    So this one has been resolved. The new Nav VI arrived today. After running updates and getting it on the bike, it paired and SmartLink worked immediately. Whatever was going on, it appears to have been in my old unit. For those keeping track of various Hardware/software versions, here's what my new Nav VI shows:

IMG_1353 w Blackout2.jpg