NAV4 and gpx tracks?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AZQKR, Nov 2, 2018.

1. AZQKR

AZQKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay guys, go easy on me here, I'm not real tech savvy.

Recently had a member send me the cable to hook it to the computer so I could update the software and maps.

Now the question is, how do I load tracks onto the NAV4 that others have given jhere in gpx file format?

When I was in the unit, I saw like 20 gpx files in that folder, but when I tried to open them, no success? How does one find the tracks on the gps NAV4 and get them to load so I can follow one of them?

I know, I'm being an idiot here I suppose, but where does one find the tracks and how does one download a track in gpx files format?

Thanks in advance
  2. RiverView

RiverView Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have Garmin Basecamp installed on your computer?
  3. AZQKR

AZQKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No sir, but if that's what I need I'll download it tonight. Once downloaded, can you give me some direction on what steps I need to follow to get a trax onto my garmin and how I'd then access it later?

Really appreciate the assist.
  4. RiverView

RiverView Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll do my best! In theory, you shouldn't need Basecamp. One can drop and drag .gpx tracks and the device should see them.

I have a Nav 5, but I doubt the file structure is that much different.
  5. AZQKR

AZQKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, I downloaded basecamp, can you walk me through entering a trax into the Nav4?

Thanks
  6. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. AZQKR

AZQKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll get to reading and following along and try to get a track loaded and see how it goes.
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    basecamp is horrible software. if your device supports drag/drop just use that to copy the gpx files into place.
    AZQKR likes this.
  9. AZQKR

AZQKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Copy them to where in the NAV4?
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only know about the Montana. But here are some suggestions that might work with your gps.

Hook your GPS to a computer using a USB cable. On a PC open the My PC folder which should show that the GPS is connected as a disc device or maybe two devices if you have an SD card. Troll around the file system using Explorer. Maybe do a search on .gpx files. This will show you where the unit expects them to be, probably Garmin\GPX folder.
    You can directly copy your track files here.

To do this in Basecamp first open the program. Do this with the gps unit attached to the computer. Basecamp should detect the gps unit and read all the track, route, and waypoint files into its internal database, probably into a List Folder called Internal Storage.

Then use File/Import to read you gpx files into the Basecamp internal database from your computer's disc crive. You will probably have to create a List Folder and one or more Lists in the database. Basecamp will prompt you to do this if necessary.

Once this is done select one or more tracks, then right click and select Send To. Then select Internal Storage
    AZQKR and RiverView like this.
  11. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Internal drive. Garmin/gpx

Wbbnm is correct.

Connect GPS with usb cable. Wait a couple minutes. You Nav 4 should show up as a device in file explorer.

Look at folders under Internal.

Select Garmin

Should be GPX folder there. Put files there.

When you disconnect GPS and turn it on, it should say files found, Do you want to import?
    ohgood, AZQKR and RiverView like this.
  12. RiverView

RiverView Adventurer

Oddometer:

And if it doesn't prompt you to import, you should be able to manually import by going to the "tracks" app and use the option there.
    ohgood, AZQKR and scfrank like this.
  13. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    The advantage of basecamp is that you can see the tracks and routes on your map(s) on your PC.It is actually a nice program to organise and view and import gpx etc.
    You can edit your routes and tracks with it.
    It is certainly not very user friendly to create routes but once you get the hang of it is ok.Once you have your route you can create a track.A route is a volatile thing, it will try to find its own way from where you are to where you want to go and basecamp and your nav may find different ways and will also depend on the map(s) you use.A track is a line drawn over the map.It may not even follow the roads depending on how it was created.
    AZQKR and RiverView like this.
  14. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had it happen a few times that I could see tracks in Internal storage that I put there in Basecamp. But when I disconnected the gps unit and looked, they weren't really there.
    I believe the solution is to be sure to do a proper Eject for both the Internal disc and any SD card.
    RiverView likes this.
  15. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    that means that the map is not on your computer ,only on the device,or maybe the tracks arent on your computer only on the device.
  16. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    This has nothing to do with maps. What happens is that I use Send To to transfer a track from my internal Basecamp database to the Montana. When I check Internal Storage it shows the track is there. But when I disconnect the Montana from the computer and look for the track, it isn't there. This has only happened a few times in many hundreds of such track
    transfers.

And as I noted above, I believe the problem occurs when I do not formally Eject the Montana discs from the Windows operating system.

Of course the problem is much worse when I don't check if the tracks are there until I am out in the middle of a ride. I don't do that anymore.
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

some of the file managers don't actually copy until you unmount the volume.