Nav6 GPS gone unstable installed in the bike

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by iCD55, Oct 12, 2018.

1. iCD55

iCD55 Still Kickin'

Oddometer:
    My BMW Nav6 unit (about 1 year old) has developed some unstable behavior when installed on my 17 R1200GS.

For the past couple of weeks, after the GPS boots up and when I first start off with the bike, it begins randomly switching between screens - although the same screens keep appearing (a data entry display and a route definition display most frequently). It still responds to touch and the WonderWheel but always flips back to these displays. I can see the engine data display momentarily with what looks like valid data so it appears to be communicating with the ECU. And the current position GPS display appears correct but again, only stays on for a brief second.

My initial thought was the battery was toast but when I remove the unit from the bike, it is rock solid and will last for a few hours on the battery. I also looked at the bike mount contact pins - they are all exposed and look clean. Re-seated the SD card and the battery.

I don't think this is a temperature issue - my garage is warm and the outside temps here at the moment are not below the low 40's F.

The unit software version just installed is 5.50 although the issue predates this update (I think...)

Anyone seen this kind of behavior?
  2. rtrider

rtrider Lost

Oddometer:
    Does it only happen when its on the bike? I wonder if the issue is actually the wonder wheel - maybe somehow vibrations are causing it to toggle the screens as if you pressed it left or right?:dunno
  3. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take the battery out then reinstall the battery this will fix your problems. It not then call Garmin. Same-thing happen to mine Nav5 and Nav6. If it is over an year old it is best to contact your BMW dealer but it is less then year old contact Garmin.
  4. iCD55

iCD55 Still Kickin'

Oddometer:
    Thx - I pulled the battery and left it out for about 20 minutes. I just reinstalled it in the bike and on power-up, seems ok (so far). I'll road test it this weekend and advise. Hopefully just need a "hard boot".
  5. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my third Nav VI with like issues. It would zoom by it's self, it would lock up, and do all kinds of wild stuff. No way to turn the damn thing off when you are running 70 MPH down a highway.

This third on after 2 month or so seems stable but I do not have the hours on this last one that I had on the previous two.
  6. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't agree with your last suggestion. My Nav VI is being replaced by Garmin for similar issues (there's another thread about Nav VI wonky behaviour, acting on its own as if someone were controlling it). This is a known issue. My Nav VI was well over a year old (bought April 2017). I contacted Garmin directly at OEM Support, and they very quickly authorized a replacement. They sent me a pre-paid UPS shipping label, and I sent my unit back to them last week (they told me to keep all accessories, including the battery). Once it arrived at Garmin, they immediately shipped a replacement unit, which is due to arrive this Monday. I would not waste my time talking to a dealer.
  7. mgdavis

mgdavis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine occasionally shifts to a single-field data screen. I didn't realize there were known issues. Does anyone have a link to the other thread?
  8. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    mgdavis likes this.
  9. iCD55

iCD55 Still Kickin'

Oddometer:
    Well, no joy on the battery "reset" method. It is doing it worse now > 80% of the time and so is effectively useless. I therefore called Garmin support today and with basically no questions, they told me they are shipping me a NEW unit. I'm good with that but we'll see how this goes once I get the new unit.

What remains puzzling to me is why it does this only when mounted on the bike. As a handheld device, it has NEVER done this. I guess we'll see ...
  10. iCD55

iCD55 Still Kickin'

Oddometer:
  11. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just shipped my Nav6 to Garmin for replacement. It took a few attempts with them to get to this point. The first two times they wanted me to take the Nav6 to my BMW dealer. My dealer service manager said they would need to bike and to recreate the malfunction. Since it was intermittent I didn't bother taking it in.

If they wanted to see it go crazy they would need to ride the bike out to the middle of the George Washington forest where there is no cell coverage. Because I swear the thing messed up every damn time I really needed it for navigation. Murphy's law to the T.

But the guy I talked to made it sound like the problem was with the touch screen. I too thought it might be the wonder-wheel but I was able to remove mine from the cable after it started going crazy and it continued.
  12. iCD55

iCD55 Still Kickin'

Oddometer:
    Garmin rep told me it was a touchscreen problem. What is interesting though is that the unit always thought it was being "touched" in the same location. On the 4x4 engine data display page, it was always the left most column, one square down from the top and so would immediately jump to the data entry display for that square.

Since this issue only shows up when GPS mounted on the bike, I cleaned and confirmed all the contact pins on the mount were not retracted.