NC->MABDR->VT->NC: Two Weeks Isn't Enough

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by highcountrymoto, Oct 22, 2018.

1. bomberdave

bomberdave black cloud wandering

Oddometer:
    i am to understand that gorilla glue (the super glue type, not the foaming/expanding wood glue type) would have fixed that diaphram tear. have not done it myself but i have heard positive things.
    highcountrymoto likes this.
  2. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You would need glue that is flexible.
  3. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    That stuff does work for a temporary fix, but getting a new diaphragm is the correct fix for long-term reliability. I used super glue to repair one on a V65 once. Yeah, it worked... for a good 8 months even. But eventually it failed and I needed to buy a new one.

Charles.
  4. reed valve

reed valve Just ride.....

Oddometer:
    Brilliant!!! I love it when a plan comes together.
    Nice RR too
  5. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond.

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
  6. highcountrymoto

highcountrymoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright... sorry for the long delay everyone! Work, life, other trips have gotten in the way of finishing this RR, but here it is... the finale!

Days 12 - 15: The Journey Home
    From Eric's place near Lincoln, VT, I meandered my way down to Middlebury then south on VT route 30 to Highway 4, where I crossed back into New York. The bike was feeling great again... well... as great as a 16 year old KLR could feel.

I set my sights on Northampton Beach Campground, right on the shore of Great Sacandaga Lake in the Adirondacks. Picturesque views of the lakes as the sun was slowly setting:
    IMG_5961.JPG

Well, in keeping with the lack of planning or foresight of this trip, Northampton Beach Campground was closed for the season when I pulled up right at dusk. There was an older (probably drunk) guy at the gate with his family who was yelling angrily at some innocent couple who happened to be out for a leisurely stroll with their dogs. "Well do you know when they will be open?? This is bullshit, I pay their taxes... they owe me!!" He turned to me to ask what I was going to do about this complete showing of disrespect. "Well I guess I'm going to find somewhere else to stay tonight, man", I replied. Not satisfied with my response, he got back in his car and screeched off.

With the power of google, I located a cheap hotel just down the road in Schoharie, NY. I got there right at full nightfall, which was ideal since I had only packed my smoke visor for the helmet and could only squint for so long with the visor open. I grabbed a subway sandwich and and filled the tank at the gas station next to the hotel, then laid all the gear out to dry and relaxed for a long time before going to bed.

The next day I woke up to rain. In fact, this was the leading edge of Hurricane Michael, and the steady rain would loom over this entire day's ride. It was a long slog down the superslab on Highway 88 to Highway 81. I was pulling 100 - 200 mile shifts before stopping for a caffeine/cigarette/butt break.

IMG_5965.JPG
    Somewhere on this stretch the crotch blew out of my cheap nelson rigg rain pants and my "area" got thoroughly soaked for the rest of the day. Not fun. But I was making good time back toward the land of the pine, so be it. After 400 miles of this constant highway/rain stuff, I snagged another cheap hotel in Winchester, VA for night night to wait the rest of the storm out. Boots squishing, I waddled up to the front desk to check in and then ran to the nearest gas station to buy a six pack of beer for the night.

The next day was beautiful. It was a nice, quick ride down to Roanoke, VA where I stopped for lunch at Jack Brown's Beer & Burger Joint. After lunch my destination was near Ferrum, VA, to Travis' cabin for the night. I could have easily made it back home to Raleigh, but was in no rush to get back to "normal life". We had spent a lot of time during college and in the years since at this cabin, and it's almost like a second home to me at this point. Great memories there. The "driveway" is a rutted-mud 4x4 trail which was a fun change of terrain after the previous few days of highway riding. This was the first time having the place all to myself, and I commemorated it with a wood stove fire and way too much boxed wine and frozen pizza.

IMG_5970.JPG
    IMG_5968.JPG
  7. highcountrymoto

Oddometer:
    Day 15: Back Home
    I woke up at the cabin on Saturday morning and was really not in the mood for this trip to be over. I contemplated staying one more day here, but slowly packed and cleaned up and hit the road, thinking it would be best to get home with one day to readjust before going back to work on Monday. It was another beautiful day of riding, a good end to this two-week stint on the road. Back into North Carolina:

IMG_5971.JPG
    I stopped in Hillsborough, NC for a celebratory beer at Mystery Brewing (which has since closed, unfortunately) before I made the final run back to Raleigh. Mystery had long been a go-to "end of trip" stop for me, so I'm still pretty bummed out that it's not around anymore.

Back home in Raleigh I started the slow process of unpacking and getting ready for getting back into the normal work routine. This trip was exactly what I needed, again. Good times with a good friend the first week, solo time the second week. A big breakdown where my faith in strangers and humanity at-large is restored. Reaffirmation of my own abilities and the importance of self-reliance. Love for the outdoors. Love for the semi-vagabond lifestyle that is motorcycle travel.

I can't wait for the next big motorcycle trip. Tentative plans with Travis for a South America 2020 trip. Thanks to everyone who followed along!
  8. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for finishing your RR.
  9. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come back to Vermont when you have time. Plenty of dirt riding up here, only need pavement to get here! Ride safe!
  10. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for finishing the report.

Weekend around May 16 will be headed to Stecoah for a few days of back and forest service roads.
    ejm4 and highcountrymoto like this.
  11. highcountrymoto

Oddometer:
    I will definitely be coming back to Vermont! Y'all are a good bunch!
  12. crustyone

crustyone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed reading your report, mr high country. And I love your writing style. What a mensch you found out there in vermont!
    Question: I live in NYC and ride a KTM EXC 450. Do you think the MABDR is too tame of a road to bother taking this bike? I;d have to trailer it to the trailhead. I am new to dirt bikes and am no dirt demon but I do not want to spend a lot of time on tarmac on this bike. I was thinking of doing just the PA section next month. I too may cross over into VT or the adirondack to make it a longer trip.
    any advice appreciated. thanks!
  13. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about your skills but I think that would be a good bike for that trip. The 2 expert sections are in the north 1/2 anyway. Have fun.
  14. t1hybrid

t1hybrid The bike whisperer

Oddometer:
    That’s an edgy bike to take on the Pa section of the MABDR (which is the best imo). I live in Harrisburg and have done these sections many times, I wouldn’t take my plated enduro (Beta 390) on it. I was taking my Ducati Multistrada with tkc 80s and having a blast.
  15. crustyone

crustyone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by "edgy" ? As in, not comfortable enough for so many miles?
  16. highcountrymoto

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the report. I still can't believe the kindness shown to me on this trip, and I hope I can pay it forward some day!

The PA sections of the MABDR were the most fun in my opinion. I was actually amazed that PA had so much great dual sport riding opportunity, so much so that I would love to go back and do a focused ride of just that area. As one other person mentioned, there are a few alternate "expert" sections of the MABDR which are both in PA. Unfortunately we missed them thanks to my poor choice of GPS track color settings. We did meet two guys who had a rough go of one of those stretches, but it had just rained and that section of trail had a lot of slick, wet granite that proved tricky for heavy loaded-down adv bikes.

I would personally love to take a lighter bike like your KTM on those roads/trails! I'm by no means a good off-road rider, but most of the MABDR in PA is pretty well-groomed gravel forest service roads. I would have liked to see a little more technical riding, but I'm sure with some research you could find some nearby trails and link them together with the MABDR track.

The BDR people are apparently working on the NEBDR (New England Backcountry Discovery Route) as we speak, and I think it's supposed to be a little more off-road/advanced than the MABDR. I'm looking forward to that one!
    crustyone likes this.
  17. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO that would be up to you. You have to ride what you own and what you make of it is a personal choice.
    crustyone likes this.
  18. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing I have been curious about since watching the MABDR DVD. Has anyone riding the MABDR run into ticks? On the DVD, they were spraying each other with DEET for ticks. Mosquitos and no-see-ums are merely a nuisance, but getting Lyme disease would suck bad.
  19. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you exercise a certain degree of precaution, ticks can largely be avoided. Sadly PA is lyme central.
    i4bikes likes this.
  20. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait, there's a MABDR DVD? How can I get this??

Charles.
    mtnbikeboy likes this.