NC State Park Tour

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by ncroadtoad, Apr 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chainslap kindly let me know that my record keeping had come up a little short, he was right.

I've long since removed my shoes and I'm out of fingers and toes so I did what I should have done in the beginning and created a spreadsheet. For right now, all the numbers are good - I think.

If I've missed you now (doubt it) or miss you in the future (probably), let me know

Cheers
    BKK-Tom and Dracula like this.
  2. chainslap

chainslap BlessedarethesicK Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought/think you are doing a great job. It's a lot to take on voluntarily.

I had noticed one of our participants had a missing grab number and the respective tag was also missing a digit.

I was just trying to help.
    BKK-Tom, ncroadtoad and Dracula like this.
  3. Dracula

Dracula aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    This game is quite inspirational, and a fresh breath of air when compared to others for the lack of competitiveness and drama.
  4. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    Thanks fella's.
    I want to make sure it's simple, fun and fair. It's just a motorcycle ride :drink
  5. jethrocephus

jethrocephus His Honorable Right Minister of Flying Monkeys Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hit up a couple today, leaving Raleighwood at 10 am, arrived at Fort Fisher around 1:00.

41E47457-71A3-4D0B-BC34-F66DB54ED4DB.jpeg

682CF3B1-4541-4B72-862B-786FBAA9FB7D.jpeg

Cloudy and overcast when I hit the road, absolutely beautiful at the beach. Packed a lunch as I’ve been doing since the virus hit, ate lunch on a bench.

834F7C78-E07E-4153-99E8-28BDEBBDA3B2.jpeg

723DA75D-51DA-4AF3-BB35-AE3004E5EAF1.jpeg

It was great to be at the ocean, most of my riding is in the mountains, wanted to stay awhile.

61C3EC90-EFE4-429B-8D30-BF2B5A1288A9.jpeg

Filled up at WC Tart Grocery just south of Benson, a small town that seems to have a good vibe, although still mostly shut down.

Fun ride, mostly two lane, approximately 300 miles or so,
    BKK-Tom, ncroadtoad, Dracula and 2 others like this.
  6. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous pictures from the beach make me want to go there soon. Today it was Morrow Mountain State park for me, and it didn't rain almost the entire time. I love the fresh cool smell in the air this time of year, and just being out on the bike.
    [​IMG]
    Was hoping for the road to the top, but since it was closed, the lake view had to do.
    [​IMG]
    nice curvy entrance to the park (and nice lady ranger :D )
    [​IMG]
  7. BKK-Tom

BKK-Tom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a side-note, it was time for another 15,000 mile valve check up on my Versys. Roadtoad and his crew helped me the first time, but this time, I was doing it alone. I had 3 valves out of tolerance. All went well till resetting the cams. I forgot to mark the chain and cams gears during disassembly. IMG_8981.JPG Short-story: I called Roadtoad for advice, he said, read the book again (Service Manual). Sure enough, on page 5-22 it showed how to count the pins on the chain and set the cam gears. I was 2 pins off. Now everything is where it belongs. Thing is, thanks to Roadtoad, I learned something and feel so good about adjusting valves, I might do it every 6 months just for something to do.
  8. Frankencycle

Frankencycle Margarita????

Oddometer:
  9. BKK-Tom

BKK-Tom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_8991.JPG Adjusted valves, new plugs, antifreeze, oil and filter, the bike was ready for another ride. This was just a quick out and back run to pick up Crowders Mountain. I got there at 08:00, the park had just opened, and there was a line of cars waiting to get in. Lots of people and dogs hitting the trails. One dog was wearing 4 padded sole socks. Although the office was closed, the Ranger was nice enough to stamp my Park Passport booklet. Great ride
  10. BKK-Tom

BKK-Tom Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Dracula

Oddometer:
  12. Dracula

Oddometer:
  13. Dracula

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Darn best shrimp burger I ever had.. out on the porch in total social isolation!
    [​IMG]
  14. Dracula

Oddometer:
  15. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Lastly, my favorite today, perhaps because of the nice sunset..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Birds fishing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    I just caught your post this morning before I head out. Beautiful pictures, great post, I'll look on the big screen tonight and update the thread.
    Cheers

Evening edit: Yep, great pictures. Of course you have a good prop :D. The bugs at the Crab Shack is a good touch.
  17. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    Off early today..
    [​IMG]

Haw River State Park
    [​IMG]

The good stuff must be at another entrance, this sign was the most scenic thing I found
    ==============================================================================================================
    [​IMG]
    On my way to Pilot Mountain, you just never know what you'll find on the side of the road :D

Pilot Mountain State Park
    [​IMG]

The jewel for today. I'm in this area a lot, but this was my first visit. Shame on me...
    =============================================================================================================
    [​IMG]
    Not crowded, pretty cloudy, very nice..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hanging Rock State Park
    [​IMG]

==============================================================================================================
    [​IMG]
    Lunch stop along the Dan River

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It looks like it was out of the banks a few days ago

[​IMG]
    I was the only one there.

Mayo River State Park
    [​IMG]

and that was a wrap for the day. Three hours later, back to the house.
    Life is good :photog
  18. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Thank you @ncroadtoad :beer- your game idea made me visit those places I would otherwise deffer indefinitely because of all the straight roads riding :D. But once there, each place has great natural beauty to offer. I will say that visits to most parks are probably more enjoyable during another day than a weekend or national holiday. They were absolutely full of people. I wish the coastal areas would offer a more relaxed less crowded way to visit.. I am going to test the Hatteras sometime.
    BKK-Tom, Chris-KH2PM and ncroadtoad like this.
  19. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    I ride the East a lot, a whole lot... While there aren't many curves to be sure, there are thousands of lonely, country road miles. IMO, it offers the most peaceful riding in NC. Stay off the big roads, zoom in on Google, Basecamp or other and a whole new world opens up. The majority of the roads I like are not on the state DOT map.

Thanks for the shout out, glad you are enjoying the game.
    Cheers
  20. Frankencycle

Frankencycle Margarita????

Oddometer:
    If motorcyclist don't have enough to worry about with crazy drivers, pedestrians, road hazards and deer. It appears near Savannah that a reptile has evolved. Yes flying turtles folks, must be a result of global warming. Just a reminder to be SAFE out there.

Screenshot_20200527-124701.png
    BKK-Tom and foothillsrider like this.