NC Tag O Rama is here

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Ridge-Runner, Sep 15, 2008.

1. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems pretty obvious to me....everybody wants to ride in the mountains. The mountain folks don't want to leave the good roads to take it to Flatland (10%). The Flatlanders can't wait to take it back to the mountains though(60%) so they get to ride some fun roads.....:deal

Kenny
  2. xtphreak

xtphreak from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer:
    just got home

nobody up for a NIGHT TAG????

:amazon
  3. xtphreak

Oddometer:
    cha ching

give that man a token sir

:wave
  4. JoeWannaB

JoeWannaB Usually a nice guy

Oddometer:
    Way to go JC on snagging that tag. I'd love to go get the new one. It looks like a hoot. Unfortunately cabin business is keeping me busy this weekend.
  5. Shandy

Shandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a ride.....I have been looking out my office window all week saying I just should not be here!!!!!! I knew someone would get the 25/70 one today! When Max Patch popped up I just had to go! Having grown up in Haywood County this one was easy for me. I have spent many a night up on the top....I should have taken a picture of the parking lot when I got there, it was full!

[​IMG]

Night ride...great fun!!!

[​IMG]
  6. Shandy

Shandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There will not be any snow where this tag is this time of year!

"Where the water-dogs laughed"

Have fun!

[​IMG]
  7. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    About me being an idiot? Have you been talking to my wife? :rofl
  8. JoeWannaB

Oddometer:
    Aw shucks Shandy. I was going to head over there this afternoon after I got done working at the cabins. Good job snagging a night tag and getting the next one up right away. A quick question... Will that water crossing still be there?
  9. Cuttle

Cuttle seriously?

Oddometer:
    bummer - a bit to far to go right now :cry
  10. Cuttle

Cuttle seriously?

Oddometer:

Us gals have to stick together :lol3

I was googling he southern end too....
  11. Shandy

Shandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the many times I have been through there it's been there. With the recession and all it may have been taken too!:lol3
  12. xtphreak

Oddometer:
    totally a "if you don't recognize it, you ain't gonna find it" tag :nah

pass out some clues... if someone from any other area wanted to be up here looking ... they're screwed

road number?

creek name :D ?

give 'em something
  13. ggrjr

ggrjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely. I have a general idea where, but that only narrows it down to several 100 square miles. Not that i will be coming that way today.
  14. Shandy

Shandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have got to be1 kidding me.....do your reseach!!!....you find 3the road you find the tag. Ride your motorcylce you big babies:cry And if you find another road by that name in NC you0 let me know. You bunch of Marys!!7

:D :wink:
  15. JoeWannaB

Oddometer:
    Don't worry Shandy. I'm heading over there to grab it. I found it on the interweb thingy just fine. Good clue BTW. I really don't care if I get bruced. That's an area I've been wanting to explore for a long time (just like Max Patch) I'll let you know if Bev Perdue cut the water off on the crossing. :lol3
  16. NC HILLBILLY

NC HILLBILLY Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry Joe but my daughter's bike needed riding and Brandy was yelping to go with me today. She has ridden in my shirts and coats for many years. She will actually try to claw her way up my leg while I sit on an idling bike. I also thought it fitting to take Brandy with me due to Shandy's definition of "Tusquittee". Never heard that indian translation before. This tag is located on the gravel section of Tusquittee Road in northern Clay County. This is the first creek crossing one comes to as while headed north on the gravel portion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Joe,

Since you were neighbors with my dad for several years in Sylva, you might remember Brandy. We took her to our house shortly before we lost dad in 2000. Sorry about the Bruce.........well sort of..........Mark
  17. NC HILLBILLY

NC HILLBILLY Long timer

Oddometer:
    This HAS to be the busiest single lane bridge in the NC highway system. When we moved here 15 years ago it was tolerable. Now, however, with all the tourists its ridiculous. The wait to get across can take several minutes at times. None the less.......I think this area of the state is really beautiful. The numbers of this highway adds up to 13. I live nearby this tag and placed it here due to being lazy and unfortunately being on-call and needing to stay somewhat close to home. If you come to get this tag give me a call and I'll meet ya..........Good Luck.........Mark

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. WNC Keener

WNC Keener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recognized the bridge right away, checked the sky...oooh. Cloudy.

[​IMG]

Eh. Been wet before.

Cranked up the KLR and made tracks to Clay County, NC where the bridge spans Chatuge/Hiawassee Lake.

[​IMG]

Fred L. Woodard Sr. was born in Jackson County on January 12, 1892 to Isom Davis
    and Isabel Cope Woodard; and moved to Clay County as a young man and was educated at
    Hiawassee Academy in nearby Hiawassee, Georgia. He and his wife, Cora, had 10 children each of whom became respected citizens of Clay County and other communities to which they located.Ol' Fred ran an old-fashioned country store for many years at the edge of the “high bridge” that crosses Lake Chatuge. Since he was a civic-minded person being active as a civic and community volunteer, Fred served on the Clay County Board of Commissioners from 1926-1928. Fred was a beloved family man, respected businessman and member of the Elf community( I have NO idea what that means...he made cookies, too?), an entrepreneur, and an active member of Mount Pleasant Baptist Church holding several key positions over the years...sooooo.....the North Carolina Board of Transportation dedicated the bridge over Lake Chatuge on U.S. 175 as the Fred L. Woodard Sr. Bridge for his contributions to the community and state on Sept. 7, 2004.

Here's a shot of the lake from the bridge...

[​IMG]

It will be tomorrow before I can post a new tag.

It's good to have the Tag back in the mountains. Let's try to keep it here for a couple days...ok?:evil
  19. WNC Keener

WNC Keener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang, Mark! I was in such a hurry to get the tag, I didn't realize you had posted up your phone number!

Sorry, man. Didn't mean to snub ya.
  20. NC HILLBILLY

NC HILLBILLY Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know how it is Jim :huh I've been sitting by my phones just waiting for you call :cry By the way, what phone numbers are you referring to ? :D Also the Elf Community is located out the road on the right before you get to the "High Bridge" as you travel south on NC HWY 175 from US 64. This is actually Elf Road with the old Elf School being located near its end. There are still many of the Woodard descendants around the Clay County area. Most are well respected and decent folks. The elected Register of Deeds, Missy Roach, comes from this blood line and was raised about 1/4 mile from the "High Bridge" itself.

Also reference the previous tag, here is what Shandy was referring to:

"Tusquittee, North Carolina

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    <!-- start content -->Tusquittee (originally Tusquitee) is a community located in Clay County, North Carolina. Tusquitee is a Cherokee Indian word meaning "Where the water-dogs laughed" (A Water Dog, sometimes also called mud-puppy, is a type of salamander). It is bordered on the north by Fires Creek Bear Reserve which is within the Nantahala National Forest. The Tusquitee Mountain range includes Tusquitee Bald at 5,240 feet.
    "Where the water-dogs laughed" According to folklore, a Cherokee hunter crossing over Tusquitee Bald in a very dry season, heard voices, and creeping silently toward the place from which the sound proceeded, peeped over a rock and saw two water-dogs walking together on their hind legs along the trail and talking as they went. Their pond had dried up and they were on the way over to Nantahala river. As he listened one said to the other, "Where's the water? I'm so thirsty that my apron (gills) hangs down," and then both water-dogs laughed.
    There is a subdivision in Tusquittee called Tusquittee Landing which incorporates a 2700 foot grass airstrip. Most people assume the "Landing" refers to the airplanes landing. However, it actually is a carryover from the days where the mules dragged logs down from the forest to a landing on Goldmine Creek. The logs were then moved down the creek to Tusquittee Creek and eventually to the sawmill."

I guess a blind hog finds an acorn every now and again......or in my case learns something new about the place I call home. Some things also never change over the many hundreds of years. The Tusquittee Community of Clay County has been notorious for its marijuana crops over the past 30 or so years. I'm now certain Shandy's Cherokee Hunter must have been hitting a dubbie himself when he heard them two lizards conversing about their H2O problems.......

Good swift work on this tag Jim....................................Mark