NC to Big Bend, mid March, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by tyrebitr, Feb 20, 2008.

1. tyrebitr

tyrebitr jus wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Whizzerwheel and I are headed to Big Bend and Hill Country in mid March. Looking for things to explore while coming and going. Will probably head south thru Cajun country on the way down, friends in the big easy. Thinking Ozarks on the way back. Looking for suggestions and recommendations. He is on a KTM 950, myself a 12GS.
  2. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the park, be sure and do the river road. It is gravel/dirt with some areas of medium difficulty but doable on either a GS or 950. Be sure and ride FR 170 from Lajitas to Presidio as it is considered the most scenic highway in Texas. You can keep going past Presidio to Ruidosa and take a gravel road back to Marfa.

If you are camping, I suggest the Cottonwood campground in the park. It is very nice, usually pretty empty and very close to the west end of the park. I may be in the area in March on a 950S. Rich 915 588 5054

There is a Big Bend museum on the campus of Sul Ross University in Alpine which is well worth a visit if you are coming over on Hwy 90 or I10. And if you are riding I10, take Exit 176 and take Hwy 118 south thru the Davis Mountains past the MacDonald Observatory and thru Fort Davis thru Alpine. It is well worth the detour as Hwy 118 may be the second best road in Texas. You really should take Hwy118 either coming or going and the above mentioned locations are worth stopping and checking out. There are also some funky Old West hotels in Fort Davis, Alpine, and Marathon.
  3. tyrebitr

tyrebitr jus wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Thanks, rpilottx. Looks like good info!
  4. FrankS

FrankS ...please wait...

Oddometer:
    Yes, the road through Pinto Canyon between Ruidosa and Marfa is certainly worth it, if you are less experienced it is probably easier going from Marfa to Ruidosa (=downhill in the bad sections).

Regards

Frank

Attached Files:

5. fastblad

fastblad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i was there couple of month ago, great park, try to avoid driving I10, take HWY 90.
  6. Big__AL

Big__AL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Trinity TX....Deep east texas....have a pad and a shop if you find yourself near this area......and some Deliverance type backroads to explore......

PM me for my cell if you are interested, or want it just in case.
  7. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might want to check out Eureka Springs in the Northwestern corner of Arkansas on the way back. Old (1890s) spa town or something, very cool place.