Nc700x Lovers: Show 'em here

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by roborider, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Maybe there's more losses in the DCT itself and there's added weight because
    of it too. This isn't one dealership, this is a lot of them, across the country, since
    I've worked with some of them.

Anyways, they're both rather slow regardless, I wouldn't worry much about it
    and I doubt that someone who wants the DCT version (like I would) would care
    enough about half a second from 0 to 60 to give up on the DCT because of it.
  2. 670ccc

670ccc Banned

Oddometer:
    Proof is in the actual numbers as tested, not a bunch of misinformed dealers. There are variations around the globe so there may be truth in your specific country, but as a general statement they are very wrong. A2 licensing had a lot to do with the lower output in Europe. True the DCT appeal is enough to ward off the horsepower loss, but the manual is far from slow. Honda advertised 0-75 mph as being faster than a CB600 back in 2012.
  3. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    ..which is tested on the wheel, and if there's more losses in the DCT tranny
    it would reflect on the dyno results, right?

Just like chain vs belt vs shaft.
  4. roborider

roborider Utah Roborider Supporter

Oddometer:
    As fascinating as the discussion may be about horsepower and speed... (or not be... yawn...), did any of us really buy the NC700 (or 750) for its speed potential? hmmmm, probably not!

I started the thread hoping to see pictures of NC700x owners, their bikes or their trips. :lol3

Back on track... show us your NC700x, or farkles, or day trip or adventure pics!

[​IMG]
    Motojtusa and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  5. roborider

Oddometer:
    Nice looking amigos, McMann!

[​IMG]

6. KOnrad51

KOnrad51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I first got my bike. Love it!!!! :) I love the DCT, love the fact it's smart, fast enough to have some fun but not too fast to get me in too much trouble. Capable on the freeway, city streets, and even a dirt road. Great bike.

Attached Files:

7. roborider

Oddometer:
    Welcome, Konrad! Nice looking ride! Now, start adding accessories. .... :-)

Roborider - NC700x - Southwest Virginia
  8. lexar

lexar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Just bought my new NC700x manual 6 speed. Love it! Very strong power and far from slow yet feels like it has the torque of a diesel. Did not like the DCT, felt a little more sluggish to me but I see the appeal for new riders. Had a Kawasaki Versys before which didn't suit me. I prefer to ride bikes gracefully, not have to ring them out near redline to get their power. Low redline on the NC is way over embellished. Not a problem at all unless you are coming from a crotch rocket. The storage space is awesome, nothing new there that hasn't been talked about. I can see why they are a top seller.
  9. roborider

Oddometer:
    Welcome Lexar to the NC700! Agree with you on the "torquey-ness" and storage space, and that the low red-line isn't a problem, just a characteristic you need to get used to. I previously had a BMW 1150GSA, and it also had a low redline, so I really haven't had trouble getting used to the NC.

Enjoy your pristine new bike!

10. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My new nc750x dct.

Loving the bike

[​IMG]
  11. wickerman

wickerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chattahoochee River Dam

Attached Files:

• nc2.jpg
      nc2.jpg
      File size:
      113.1 KB
      Views:
  12. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a 2014 NC700X DCT in Tacoma, WA.

Dale, one of the owners of the Honda stores in Lakewood and Olympia, built this after doing the same thing to a six-speed 2013 NC700X a year earlier. He fabricated all the parts he didn't purchase (he built the skid plate, handguards, fuel cell, and luggage rack). Last year he rode about 60,000 miles on his various bikes.

Non-believers hate on the "weak engine" , "silly auto clutch", "dangerous 17-inch front wheel" ...etc. I have an F800GS. Its specs are much more impressive on paper. I can't out-accelerate Dale when he uses the auto clutch in "sport" mode. Bet you can't either. :evil Like Dale says "Well...did you just make 5 perfect shifts just below the rev limiter? My DCT did.":evil

And I certainly can't out ride him! He uses "manual shifting" off-road to keep engine-braking available. Not having to feather the clutch in low gear is a help, also. He and I took fifteen riders out early last spring on a 90-mile jaunt through local forest service roads on a wet day. Eight or nine R1200GS's, a couple of 950's and 990's, a couple of smaller KTM's, and even a KLR. Dale was leading. After ten miles or so, we stopped, and asked anyone that wanted him to pick up the pace to raise their hand. Nobody did. Three people fell riding behind him. They all had 19 or 21-inch front tires. Dale was probably riding at about 50-60% pace. He had TKC890's on the NC700. He turned 65 last year.

The last picture is Dale rescuing a jeep from the ditch in the same forest on another day. They had gone off the road on their right-side when avoiding a passing car. He was carrying his 8lb, 1500'lb-rated Warn motorcycle winch. It is in a couple of the photos behind the auxiliary fuel tank he fabricated along with the luggage rack, which is now powder coated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bultaco206, dinod and CPAT like this.
  13. Mudboot

Mudboot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loving this rig !!:clap:clap:clap
  14. roborider

Oddometer:
    Wow - way to go, Dale, for proving that the NC700x is a great and very off-road capable bike!

Really great fabrication, and beautiful bike.

Thanks for setting a great example and a high bar!

:freaky
  15. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Here is my new 2014 NC700X DCT. Cant wait to get everything geared out. Have luggage coming and will start getting out and about more and more. Nice to see other NC700 owners on the ADVrider boards.

Attached Files:

16. lexar

lexar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I found out after getting my bike, that it is much better than what the haters think. Great story and I remember reading that thread and found it inspirational. There is so much more to the NC than what it's spec sheet says in the real world, and more people are realizing that. You just have to read through the BS, and there's a lot of it out there.
  17. roborider

Oddometer:
    Nice looking NC700, and hope you have fun farkling! Be sure to post pics here as you install accessories - good to share you find and install so other NC7 owners can drool and learn from you.

:freaky
  18. murdock2002

murdock2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like the NC's DCT, my Aprilia mana GT has an auto CVT. I was just out riding in the mountains earlier today...really like that I can enjoy the scenery (snow capped mountains) and focusing on the road ahead of me and not worried about shifting. Coming back down, I started into a curve too fast. I was able to manually downshift to provide some engine breaking (on the Mana this can be down with the left finger triggers or an actual left foot lever) and it was great. Other than the engine breaking, I find the use of the manual mode just an additional "chore".

I was also able to carry my tire repair kit and some other items in the faux tank, which the Honda also has...I do like though how the Mana faux tank comes with an electrical outlet installed stock, and it can be opened by a trigger button on the left handlebar, even while the bike is on and in motion (makes paying tolls easy).

I would like to move to a bigger bike because of my tall height and a desire for shaft drive, but would really miss the auto transmission and faux tank, and the Crosstourer is not sold in the US. I am Almost tempted to move to a Hona NC DCT for my next bike just to keep what I currently have, but with a different bike.
  19. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Mana simulates the gears rather well, but on the NC it's the real thing and
    works even better, but it's a much slower bike so.. make sure you try it first.
  20. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    That !RED! bike looks even better in California.