1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Nc700x Lovers: Show 'em here

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by roborider, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Brit711

Brit711 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made some side racks using 2 baking trays and 2 chopping boards to carry my waterproof ex-army bags
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. wickerman

wickerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first day of December with a 80* temp sounded like a good excuse to go for a ride and get lost.

bike.jpg
    bamamate and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  3. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At some point , I'll have to take a 700x out for a test ride. The more I research , the more I like.
  4. TeepS

TeepS Full Circle Rider

Oddometer:
    I rode a friend's 2012 NC700X, it was a pretty good ride especially for the money.
    Your experience could greatly vary depending on what you're riding now.
  5. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    True. "If" , the 700x is on par with or a better performer than my previous Shadow RS , all will be well. Test ride will of course tell the tale. If not , I'll check out the DR650 and go from there.......or sonething.
  6. Potosi Joe

Potosi Joe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking! What muffler is that?
  7. Brit711

Brit711 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. lexar

lexar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have owned a Shadow, although not the RS but they all have the same 750 engine. You will feel like the engine is a step up in every department EXCEPT the sound. If you liked the sound of the Shadow you will hate the sound of the NC. Luckily there are more exhaust options out there than you can count, including de-cat pipes too. Those Delkevic's are a great value and supposed to be high quality too (and they have a center stand stop like the factory exhaust).
  9. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info thanks. The sound I'm not concerned with . If the 700x out performs the Shadow.....I'm happy. TIA.
  10. bamamate

bamamate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. lexar

lexar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could be the pictures but the 2016 seat looks like it might be sloped differently, and I've read that the seat has been changed in promotional specs. That could simply mean a different fabric one again, but to my eyes it looks like it might be shaped differently too. That would give us another AFFORDABLE seat option, as a new OEM seat is half the price of most aftermarket seats. Except for the Russel DayLong which is in another class of rip-off all together.
  12. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a forum here:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/cmps_index.php

Tons of info on a well behaved site that is very welcoming to new members.
  13. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:

The NC700X is exactly the kind of bike she needs. Honda built that bike for her.
    The DCT has been up graded in 2016.
    But a used model will be fine.
  14. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Ferry ride into Ocala National Forest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Banksy

Banksy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Few questions for you..

Who's got lots of miles on the original DCT clutch? And how many?

Anyone had problems with their DCT? And if so what?

Does anyone know the price of replacing a DCT clutch compared to the standard clutch setup? Trying to get an idea of long term running costs

Many thanks guys....
  16. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi...what's wrong with the NC700X? Why so cheap?

Dealer local advertising 2016 for just $5999 (1500 under msrp). Why people not buying?

Also, how much should I pay in freight and setup fees? I know dealer will try to stick it to you with fees...where do I draw the line?

Also, I plan to do mostly urban commuting and weekend riding on forester service roads (dirt with pot holes and washouts and some sandy spots).

I'm 5'7" and 145#. And I'm un-athletic. Is this bike too big and heavy for me?
  17. dduelin

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear - there are no 2016s in dealers and the price is not yet announced but there are 2014-2015 new bikes available in certain areas. There is a lot of competition both new and used for the $6000 - $8000 price range.

Price is so different across the country it is hard to say specifics but you should be able to negotiate freight and set-up out of any deal on a model year lift-over bike. If you don't pay it they get to keep it that much longer before selling it.

I'm shorter than you and the seat is higher than stock on mine and I have no problem handling it but I have no idea of your experience.
  18. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah...it's a 2015. It's still cheap...other bikes there are all advertised at MSRP levels.

Tall and light-weight bikes are no problem. I used to sub-300-lb bike. My last ride is a XR650. But I never ridden anything as heavy as 500 pounds. I recall not able to get a Vstrom off its sidestand,cus it was so heavy. But I hear the NC has superlow Center of Gravity.
  19. dduelin

Oddometer:
    Competition drives the price to market levels. There is nothing "wrong" with the NC700X but in this range there is plenty to choose from and almost all have more horsepower than the 700 does which does hurt it's appeal to someone with 6 to $8,000 to spend.

The Veestrom is top heavy compared to the NC700X. Try it, you'll agree.
  20. RagsZa

RagsZa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm curious as to what those are? I'm still looking for something in this range.

Edit; oops could derail thread, feel free to pm me. Sorry.